MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt reloading

Boolit Bub

45 colt reloading

Was going to order a set of 45 colt dies for my rossi 92.As i looked the info about the dies i saw that the roll crimp die was for only 452 heads and not for 454 heads.Now i have been loading 45 colt for over 25 years on a dillon sq deal.Always ysed 452 heads for all my 45 revolvers,never heard anything before about useing a different roll crimp die for 454 heads.Now am confused about what dies to use.[NOTE] I want to use my turret press for the rossi,not the dillon.

Boolit Master

I wouldnt worry too much. In the world today of 45 Colt, folks have forgotten it was once a 454, and probably never knew folks like us still size lead boolets to 454 regularly.

I load .454 all the time and never had had issue with RCBS Redding or Lyman 45 colt dies crimping. (Either Roll or Taper crimps.)

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-22-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Try a Lee Factory Crimp die. It will put a satisfactory squeeze on either diameter, and the amount of crimp is easily adjusted. Plus, there's the advantage that if the reloaded cartridge will enter and exit the carbide ring that is an integral part of the die it's guaranteed to chamber.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Try a Lee Factory Crimp die. It will put a satisfactory squeeze on either diameter, and the amount of crimp is easily adjusted. Plus, there's the advantage that if the reloaded cartridge will enter and exit the carbide ring that is an integral part of the die it's guaranteed to chamber.
    This is NOT the die you want to use. It WILL size a .452" down in the case, what do you think it will do to a .454?"

Edit: There is also quite a bit of inconsistency with the Lee FCD. Some carbide rings are bigger than others. A very few of them won't size down a .452" in the case, the majority of them will. You have to remember that factory boolit/bullet diameter is .451" so the FCD will just smooth out the outside of the case if you are loading .451" but anything larger will get swaged down as a general rule with the Lee Carbide FCD.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I’ve been reloading .45lc with lead bullets using whatever crimp die that rcbs uses with just a light crimp for my rifles and pistols in .452 and .454 [.455 martial revolvers] for many years. Never had a bullet get pushed back into a case or jump out in my revolver. With jacketed bullets or powerful hunting loads the crimp is much more important.

Gee, it isn't too often that I get told that I'm just flat wrong by someone who doesn't offer an alternative. Just wrong. Well, pahermit, you're saying that (if I'm reading your post correctly) that you've always used .452, but you're new die is for .454. You haven't expressed a desire to go with .454, so I was and am assuming that you want to stay with .452. If that's the case, try the Lee Factory Crimp die. Even my detractor says that they size to .451, which I don't really think is quite accurate. In any case, I'm so sure it will work for you, having used it myself for years, that if you get one, follow the directions, and it doesn't work for you I'll happily buy it from you for what you paid for it. Just send me a PM if you find that you want to get rid of it, but I don't think I'll ever hear from you, because I've been using one with great success ever since they came out. As I'm sure you've experienced at some point in your many years of reloading, roll crimps that are overdone won't enter your cylinder or feed through your carbine.

Boolit Master
    When I consider what a roll crimp actually is, bullet diameter is irrelevant. The crimp die is simply adjusted to ROLL (swage) the brass into a crimp groove. Case neck expanded diameter and case neck bell/flare can differ from 452 to 454 but a roll crimp die will crimp either. I like the Lee Factory crimp for my rifle calibers, 30-30, 35 Rem, 32 Winchester... not so much for the handguns, the 'old style' roll crimp dies work very well.

It does work well with the experience not to be heavy handed, and assuming that the bullet design has a crimping groove.
    Sometimes one is better served with a taper crimp, which the LFCD more closely resembles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    When I consider what a roll crimp actually is, bullet diameter is irrelevant. The crimp die is simply adjusted to ROLL (swage) the brass into a crimp groove. Case neck expanded diameter and case neck bell/flare can differ from 452 to 454 but a roll crimp die will crimp either.
    Agreed. Shouldn't be an issue for the Rossi but in stout handgun/pistol caliber rifle loads the hotter the load, the more firm I want the roll crimp. I believe a firm roll crimp helps get more consistent ignition in loads like the "Ruger and Contender only" loads.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I load for old Colt New Service M1909 with Accurate 45-259EB cast 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals with 6.5 grains of Bullseye, shoots to fixed sights at 25-yards using RCBS Cowboy dies with bullets as-cast and unsized at. 455" lubed with Lee Liquid Alox with ten and X-ring groups at 25 yards, 880 fps from 5-1/2" barrel. What else would you want??????
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I reread my question,in case Iwas not clear what i wante to know was do pistol dies come in different size bullet roll crimp's.I want to load a 454 bullet in 45 colt.I was told that some crimps come in either 452 or 454.This is something I had never heard before.Hope I was clearer now.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Most should be compatible with cast bullets , especially in cartridges like 45 Colts . I have Lyman , Lee and RCBS dies for 45s and have had now issue with crimp or down sizing .454 dia bullets . I think that most of the 38/357 up through 45/454 at least have enough room and adjustment available to manage the .003 oversize without issue . That has been my experience anyway .

In regard to the FCD . Personally I don't care for the pistol version with the ring sizer . It does have some use as a mixed tool . I use the 45 ACP as a sizer for my Rossi M92' Colts brass as it leaves it fat . The collet rifle type FCD dies are available in limited numbers for the 1.128+- length pistol cartridges and are quite satisfactory .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    45 colt seems to have a larger number of variables in bore throat and available tools than any of the newer designed big bores and is the caliber that got me lurking here looking for info from some of the most expert and knowledgeable reloaders you can find on one forum.
    I lack the skill tools and dedication to the sport to do what many here do in the persuit of perfection but I do love seeing it.

Boolit Master
    You shouldn't have any problem with the RCBS roll crimp die set with either bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya don't use that factory crimp die. I hate the ones I have. Should throw them all in a land fill some where. They make loading for rifles and all different brands and clones of revolvers easy. Doesn't matter whether the chambers are tight or loose, ammo goes in all of them. Ya I hate em.

Boolit Grand Master

When I got my 45 Colt clone SAA, I determined I needed to use .453"+ bullets. So I got an RCBS "Cow Boy" die set. The kit includes 2 expanders; one for .452" and one for .454" bullets. I short cut the crimping worries by going straight to a Lee collet crimp die (aka FCD, but many people don't specify which FCD they're talking about. Lee makes two distinctly different types of FCD with the same name). I'm shooting .453"+ cast and use the collet crimp.

One factor may take part here; on some crimp dies the ID will not allow for larger bullets to enter the die (Lee dies are an example. .454" bullets scrape the side when inserted, and a ring is scraped on the bullet above the crimp. Not a Lee hater, just an observation on crimp die internal dimensions).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pahermit View Post
    I reread my question,in case Iwas not clear what i wante to know was do pistol dies come in different size bullet roll crimp's.I want to load a 454 bullet in 45 colt.I was told that some crimps come in either 452 or 454.This is something I had never heard before.Hope I was clearer now.
    I think you are confusing "crimp" dia with case expander size. .452" or .454" refers to the size that the case is expanded to. Either can be crimped as little or much as you want.

Banned
    I must be one of the lucky ones.

On my Lee die set I use the FCD.

I cast the Lee 255 gr RF bullet and load them unsized, as cast. They are .454" from the mold.

I use the powder-thru expansion die to flare the case and drop the powder charge, then seat the bullet and crimp with the crimp die that came in the set.

No muss, no fuss, and very accurate ammo to boot.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pahermit View Post
    Was going to order a set of 45 colt dies for my rossi 92.As i looked the info about the dies i saw that the roll crimp die was for only 452 heads and not for 454 heads.Now i have been loading 45 colt for over 25 years on a dillon sq deal.Always ysed 452 heads for all my 45 revolvers,never heard anything before about useing a different roll crimp die for 454 heads.Now am confused about what dies to use.[NOTE] I want to use my turret press for the rossi,not the dillon.
    I have the RCBS Cowboy die set that has both .452 and .454 expanders but a single seat and roll crimp die. I use the .452 expander for 45 Colt and the .454 expander for 45 Schofield, using a larger diameter bullet in a different gun, a derringer. The same seat and crimp die works fine without sizing the case down when using the larger bullets and expander for Schofield.

Vendor Sponsor

I'm loading the 454190 at .456" for the Uberti in my avatar, throats were .4565" from the factory, .451" groove diameter of barrel. I used a standard set of Lee 45 Colt dies, with the exception of a custom expander plug a couple of thousandths larger and maybe .075" or .080" longer than the standard expander. I don't see why it wouldn't do a .454" if it will do .456" perfectly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast