Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 colt reloading

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve had good success with the rcbs cowboy dies. Reportedly set up for lead. I haven’t done any dimension checks but they load and shoot fine out of all my 45 colts.

Boolit Master
    I don’t know if any one else has seen this happen but my hunting buddie carried a marlin 44 mag and when going in the camper would remove the load from the chamber and return it to the magazine after a few days of this he cycled all the ammo from the rifle the 2nd round nearest the receiver looked like he had been hitting it with a hammer I guess the weight of the rounds in the mag + the spring repeatedly slamming it into the stop were trying to drive that bullet back into the case.
    Lever gun rounds need to be able to stand some rough treatment.
    On a Henry you could take the pressure off the mag spring and remove the chambered round that is a plus if repeatedly clearing the chamber on the same ammo.
    Last edited by onelight; 03-28-2019 at 09:55 AM.

I took my Lee Factory Crimp dies to work and chucked them up in a lathe and popped the carbide size ring out.
    Now they are just a roll crimp die that doesn't resize your boolits.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Waco,
    Could you fill me in on the details of removing the carbide ring? What role did the lathe play?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I don’t know if any one else has seen this happen but my hunting buddie carried a marlin 44 mag and when going in the camper would remove the load from the chamber and return it to the magazine after a few days of this he cycled all the ammo from the rifle the 2nd round nearest the receiver looked like he had been hitting it with a hammer I guess the weight of the rounds in the mag + the spring repeatedly slamming it into the stop were trying to drive that bullet back into the case.
    Lever gun rounds need to be able to stand some rough treatment.
    On a Henry you could take the pressure off the mag spring and remove the chambered round that is a plus if repeatedly clearing the chamber on the same ammo.
    As a youngun I carried a Win 30-30 hunting and noticed the rounds kept getting shorter after spending time in the tubular mag. Never gave a thought of increased pressure as I just didn't know about things like that.

Seems I have a different set of dies for ea. of the 45 Colts I own. I’ve had to remove the 45 Colt ‘Bulge’ from cartridges shot in lever guns so chambered,those need a old set of RCBS steel dies to remove the ‘Bulge’.Then a carbide set to do modern chambered revolvers the .451-2” and jacketed bullets. Then a set of RCBS Cowboy dies for fat cast boolits in the Winchester 92’s fat butt @ .456 which I had to have a custom expander from Buffalo Arms because the Cowboy die expander was yet to small. The chamber on my Win/Miroku 92 45 Colt is so big I can use the expander from a 45-70 die expander. The rifle shoots excellent after figuring what it was going to take.
    I think the 45 Colt is the most bastardized cartridge we find delightful,SAMMI specs. are a suggestion.

Boolit Grand Master

The 45 Colt was around 50 years before SAAMI was established. The 45 Colt SAAMI standard was been revised at least once but it's still a mess.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12