Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: powder/primer storage

Boolit Master

powder/primer storage

I came into a good deal on powder and primers at an estate sale. I now have more that I would want to store in the house. I live in the Wichita falls tx. I have an unlimited access to used pallets. I could make some boxes out of pallets, or just bite the cost and make boxes out of 1'' ply wood. I have a thought of making boxes with space between the inner and outer walls and filling it with spray foam. From what I have read the boxes should be able to vent in case of fire. The powder and primer will be stored in a building without air conditioning. Does idea for the boxes sound like it would work for the long term storage. thanks rrh

Boolit Grand Master

Find and old refrigerator. Put that in your storage area and keep your powder and primers in it. This stabilizes the temp by the insulation built into the old refrigerator. The door does not lock and, if it should burn, will open under pressure. Mine is in the garage and plugged in because I keep beer in it too!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

First off check your local fire codes for amount you can store where and how. An old refrigerator can work good with some different shelving in it. Another little trick in the refrigerator is to mount a 5-10 watt light bulb in it either at the top or down where the drawers were. This will help control humidity with the slight heat it provides. One of the gun safe dehumidifiers could be used also. A cabinet could be made and used there are specs on line for them as to wood thickness and how to build. Check your local codes and the guides.

Banned
    Many recommend a wood-lined metal box stored in a cool dry place.

I would use a dehumidifier instead of a light bulb to limit any extra heat.

I concur, "First off check your local fire codes"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    The old ice box sounds good to me but i wouldn't store primers with powder powder will normally just burn unless under pressure but not sure what would happen if it were in an explosion as with primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I use an old up right freezer to store my supplies. Have been using it for several years an cant complain

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with checking your codes and an anymore call to homeowners insurance company. If I remember the regulations were for the wood boxes with specific dimensions. The refrigerator sounds good but I would make sure what the regulations state.

Boolit Master

+1 with countrygent. Any powder magazine needs to be built of burnable material which allows the powder to burn, not be contained. Check local codes! You have to think of the fire personnel who will be responding. Mine is of wood, and mounted on wheels so it can be pushed out, if need be. Anything that can be contained poses a potential hazard to firemen. A burning can of Unique is less dangerous than a can of hair spray or bug spray. And, what makes our powders go boom? A primer. Keep them away from powders.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

An old refrigerator is a favorite for storing powder. I also agree to check your local fire codes for allowed amounts, although I expect lots of guys exceed this amount! Personally, I store mine on shelves in my loading room. Powder and primers are separated by a few feet. This is out of the direct sunlight and is temperature controlled.

Boolit Master

The last time I pulled a pallet apart I worked hard for that wood. It had these little twist nails. I recommend plywood (that's what I used) over pallet wood.

Code (or recommendations) limit storage of smokeless powder to 50 pounds inside a house. Fortunately for me, I have more than one building on my property that allows dividing up my powder supply.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...ess-Powder.pdf

Boolit Master
    I had about 48 pounds of powder and 20K LP primers on shelves in original packaging in an outbuilding when fire came through. What was left of the tools and such on either side of the components showed no signs of excessive heat or explosion.

The rice beans and sugar however melted the refrigerator down to the height of the stove.

Smokeless powder is very safe compared to everything else around a house.

The problem wasn't component storage it was the **** fire. LOL
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 03-23-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Something else to check out is the 2018 edition of the NFPA (National Fire Protection Assn.) Standard No. 495. You may have to go to your local library to find it because NFPA frequently wants to sell their standards even though they are incorporated by reference in local fire codes. They usually give the quantities than can be stored in different locations and the types of containers that are recommended for storage.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I once had insurance agent tell me that the policy on my home had a limit on how much powder could be stored in my home under the policy he was a fellow nra member so i see no reason for him to lie. But i can't say for sure if this is actually in there because like everybody else i didn't set down and read it. But the nra in the past has recommended checking with insurance and on local fire codes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some areas limit in house storage to 50 lbs of powder (in the proper container) and 10k primers.

Might bite you if you have a fire....check with your insurance company.

I store my stock of powders and primers in a separate building.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    In MN you need a wood box of one inch thickness for anything over thirteen pounds. Max allowed is fifty pounds stored inhouse. Shouldn't be too hard to find local ordinance.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Ammo cans with desiccant packs in a cool environment.

Boolit Master

Ammo cans with desiccant packs in a cool environment.
    Probably one of the worst things to store powder in. In the event of a fire heat will immediately transfer through the can and ignite the powder inside, which will not be able to vent due to the sealed can. It will then in effect be a bomb. The reason for 1" wooden containers is the insulating effect of the wood and the amount of time it takes for the heat to get to the powder as the wood burns through. This gives time for people in the building to escape.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Mold
    I use a small job site tool box that has two lid flaps and a partition between the two sides. One side is primers the other is powder. The primer side also contains lead. I cut holes in the lids and installed dryer vents for pressure control. Each side has a rechargeable desiccant cartridge. It's not in the residence....

Also, I have a copy of NFPA 495 (explosives) 2018 edition...

"14.3.7.1 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 9.1 kg (20 lb) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. 14.3.7.2 Quantities exceeding 9.1 kg (20 lb), but not exceeding 22.7 kg (50 lb), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 25.4 mm (1 in.) nominal thickness."

"14.4.3 Black Powder intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 9.1 kg (20 lb) shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in the original containers and stored in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least a 25.4 mm (1 in.) nominal thickness. "

"14.4.7 Where smokeless propellants are stored in the same magazine with Black Powder, the total quantity shall not exceed that permitted for Black Powder. "

"14.5.3 No more than 25,000 small arms primers shall be permitted to be transported in a private vehicle."

"14.5.5 No more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be permitted to be stored in residences. "

Hopefully this helps...

Edit: If you want a copy of this, I have it in PDF so just send me a PM with your email.

Boolit Buddy
    The NFPA is not law, check your local and state ordinances.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown