MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Two-Projectile Loads in Snubby for Self-Defense

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post
    I am always up for a good Gedankenerfahrung, so...
    Thanks for the number-crunching, Chuck. But let's continue with the Gedankenerfahrung...

Suppose that projectile had started out life with that same .35 caliber diameter and that same "expanded JHP" shape and had somehow been projected into a fresh block of 10% gelatin with a velocity of 600 f/s. What would be the predicted penetration distance then?

If this was 1980 I didn't let my favorite gunsmith talk me out of straight cylindrical bored chambers and 30-30 brass trimmed to length and formed to suit then I could probably tell you all about the multiple projectile souper-dooper. But he did talk me out of it and dad gummit now I'd still like to tinker with it. Oh well. So much stuff and too little decades.

Boolit Buddy

Monte Carlo Simulation of Two-Projectile Loads

I finally got around to writing the "Monte Carlo simulation" suggested by The_Schwartz way back on page 12 (post #223). There's a link to the program below. But first a warning...

WARNING: The link below will run a homemade program on a remote server. Although I've taken some modest precautions to secure the program, there's a small but finite possibility that a hacker somewhere between Azerbaijan and Zimbabwe will have already figured out a way to use the program to inject malicious code into your computer to download all your personal information and empty your bank accounts. If this worries you, DON'T CLICK THIS LINK.

If you were brave (or foolish) enough to actually click that link, then you've already seen something like this:

Attachment 272452

The target on the left shows the simulated results of firing 100 shots with a conventional single-projectile load with a standard deviation of 1". The target on the right is a simulation of firing 100 shots of a two-projectile load with a standard deviation of 2" for the first projectile and a second projectile that strikes with a standard deviation of 1" from the location of the first shot. The program prints the input data as well as the number of "vital hits" at the top of each target. In the picture above, the conventional "simplex" load scored a total of 69 vital hits while the crazy "duplex" scored 78 vital hits. Of course, these numbers change each time the program is run.
    Last edited by pettypace; 12-24-2020 at 11:52 AM.

I use a triple load inside of a Speer capsule. I use 1 .283 ball below 2 .300 from track of the Wolf. At 15 yards, the (2) 300 balls hit POA/POI with the fixed sights of my 442 airweight, and the 283 ball hits about 2” lower. It’s a fun one, and reasonably economical to shoot a cylinder worth at the range to remember my sight picture. I’ve been lucky enough to have it be reliable for a full rounds worth too. I use Unique powder to set it off.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schwartz View Post

Damn you, pettypace.
    I'm glad you like the simulator, Charles. It was, after all, at your suggestion. But I figure I still have a long way to go to re-pay you for Quantitative Ammunition Selection.
    Last edited by pettypace; 12-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    I'm glad you like the simulator, Charles. It was, after all, at your suggestion. But I figure I still have a long way to go to re-pay you for Quantitative Ammunition Selection.
    You just did, friend.

Merry Christmas, pettypace.

One of these days, I gotta learn to write code like that. Awesome skills you have there and a very professionally executed product. Color me with with envy and admiration.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314