Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan Lube

Boolit Buddy

Pan Lube

Good day all

Have read enough to get it done.

I have pan lube 3 batches of bullets so far.

The way I have heated my lube and bullets is in my wife's fairly new oven, it has great temp control.

Is there a problem with this method?

Been using 200*, is taking a while to melt the lube, let em cook for 1/2 hour or so. Leave in the oven to cool, with oven door open. Punch them out at room temp.

I have seen mention of burning the lube and should use double boiler.

To me the oven method is simpler. Should I go get a hot plate just to lube with?

chuck40219

That's how I do it, in the wife's oven,I use a little lower heat though at around 150. I push the bullets out of the cake when it's still warm, although I have used a cake cutter. I've never used a hot plate for pan lubing but I have melted beeswax, lube, and shoe polish on an electric range before. Start on the lowest setting and give it half an hour then turn the heat up just a little if you need more.

Boolit Master
    It seems like a good way of doing it to me , as long as your wife doesn't mind .

I've always used the double boiler method with my Emmert's. I had heard the same thing about burning the beeswax. Plus, using the DB/stovetop method doesn't give off the fumes that oven baking does (don't ask me how I know)
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Grand Master

I use the double boiler method 1) to avoid scorching the beeswax and lanolin when heating, 2) I think I get a more even heat and transfer) 3) this was how I was taught to melt waxes to avoid flash fires and other issues. An oven should work if kept set low.

Boolit Master

Another double boiler user here. But I push the boolit out as soon as it is cool enough not to be uncomfortable, then let them cool for about a week before I put them in a container for loading. Of course the boolit I loaded most was the .43 Spanish and that brothers is a big slug of lead. Really empties a 20 lb. pot on a hurry. james

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just use an old fry daddy to melt my lubes and waxes. Pretty good temp control so no scorching or flash fire.

Boolit Buddy
    Switching gears now, will come back to this after I can get some good bullets. Going to Cast Boolits sub forum for casting problem.

chuck40219

In Remembrance
    I use an old toaster oven (garage sale for $2.00) set at the lowest temp. I have never scorched any lube yet. For mixing a new batch of lube I use the double boiler method on an old porcelain hot plate. Pulled that from the curb-side trash 30+ years ago. For pan lubing I use a small shallow pan with the boolits set in place neatly. The lube is put into the pan to the level of the high point of the grooves. Boolits and lube are brought to temp together, then allowed to cool before punching the boolits out with a cutter. This way, it makes it very quick to load another pan full of boolits, using the vacant holes.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    then allowed to cool before punching the boolits out with a cutter. This way, it makes it very quick to load another pan full of boolits, using the vacant holes.
    neat eh! when I refill the vacant holes in mine I reheat it with an electric heat gun (like some people use for stripping paint etc) only takes a couple of minutes - I sit the lube pan on a cork placemat for insulation - doin it this way I can lube small batches of boolits without slowing my loading process down much and at the end I dont have a bunch of lubed projectiles left over.

+1 on the heat gun, using old holes and cake cutters made from old shells with the primer drilled out and a nail to push out the boolit.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    +1 on the heat gun, using old holes and cake cutters made from old shells with the primer drilled out and a nail to push out the boolit.
    I take the cake cutter a bit further I make em so the boolits go clear through and out the top - fit the cutter with a wood T handle (a piece of broomstick or 1" dowell rod) with a hole through - just keep pushin down and take the lubed boolits as they come out the top. Got a lathe helps with this stuff.

Boolit Master
    I pan lube my grease groove muzzle loader bullets same as when I was shooting cartridges. I use Doug Knoell's lube, heated in a double boiler which I modified the top aluminum pot to have a sort of spout to make the lube easier to pour the lube. I line the large cake pan with wax paper and set the bullets about 1 inch apart. I push then out with my thumb from the nose.
    Last edited by oldracer; 03-25-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Master
    I've found it much easier and faster to just dip them with a tweezer in a tuna fish can of melted lube. I then stand them up on the base and when cooled off push them thru a cake cutter.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    * Double boiler to melt the lube
    * Fan the boiler to accelerate the hardening of the lube
    * Put the lube tray in the freezer
    * When the 'feel' of the lube is ready to punch out the bullets
    * Turn the pan over and knock out the cake onto 2 half pieces of siding insulation foam (cake has a hard base for no cracking or breaking of the cake
    * Nose push out bullets a piece of leather on thumb into a Styrofoam tray
    Bing Badda Boom - Done
    Regards
    John

Banned

when and if i do greasers they're dip lubed and not pan lubed.

dipping is faster and easier for me, no waiting for a huge amount of lube to harden.

an expanded case with the primer hole enlarged for a pusher dowel makes up the cookie cutter.

Boolit Master
    My 459 boolit gets run thru a 460 die Lyman 450 quik no messAttachment 238622

Boolit Master
    . . . Good lokking boolits. . .

Not all lubes are adversely affected by temperatures somewhat above the point at which they melt. Not knowing which ones, though, it's a general rule of thumb to not get them much over that, hence the double-boiler technique. I've noticed Emmert's Lube, aka 541, is one that will deteriorate when heated to where it exhibits a little smoke. It'll coagulate a little sticky varnish-like substance and when cool, will be brittle and lubricate less well than it did before. A water filled double-boiler prevents this for the various lube recipes I've tried.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    when and if i do greasers they're dip lubed and not pan lubed.

dipping is faster and easier for me, no waiting for a huge amount of lube to harden.

an expanded case with the primer hole enlarged for a pusher dowel makes up the cookie cutter.

That's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post

Rob, are the boolits just perched on that little rod? If so, seems like they would tend to fall off unless you dip real slow.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast