WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't use hard cast

Boolit Master

One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Considering that, "Hard cast" is an undefined term, meaning that there is no established scale into which "hard cast" falls. It is an over worked and meaningless term only of some use if the bullet manufacture also supplies a tested hard figure with the bullets. Even then, the term and tested hardness figures would ONLY apply to that bullet.

We as cast bullet shooters would do everyone a huge favor if we simply STOPPED using the term, "hard cast"

I had a casting session two days ago, in which I used 4 molds of three different profiles, all in .44 caliber. The alloy was just plain old clip on Wheel Weights which I water quenched as the bullets dropped from the hot mold.

Then yesterday I hardness tested the three styles of bullets and will again test in about 2 weeks to see what the resulting hardness is after two weeks aging.

Reading the posts above, the best reply I see is to shoot some of the bullets into a reasonable test medium and carry a couple of those test bullets with you. That should settle any questions ask, but spealing out the meaningless term, "hard cast" will only confuse the issue for all concerned.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    There is no need for "hard" bullets.

For Eastern deer hunting in West Virginia I use plain-based, soft cast bullets of 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals at about 1300-1400 fps in the .30-30 Winchester, about a half charge for jacketed bullet of same weight. 14 grs. 4198, 15 grs. 3031, 16 grs. of 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget with 1 grain Dacron filler tucked loosely into case neck.

They work just fine, expanding to 0.60" and shooting clear through deer from any angle. The photo shows recovered bullets fired into water jugs at 50 yards which penetrated 30 inches in water.

Attachment 238479
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    you mean your gonna get a boolit mold or you need to purchase a cast load that expands?
    YES!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I just got on this forum to find out what my options are, I don't reload at least not yet, but is there any one here that can cast and load me some ammo?

Boolit Master

Its unlikely anyone will Load ammo for you. Nothing personal but the liability and shipping restrictions make it highly un likely. But if you have a friend that loads and lives close maybe you can load together.

On the bullet side of your request, Im sure you will find someone willing to provide some projectiles!

IINM LEE still offers there whack-a-mole RE-loader. Unsure if in 35 Whelen tho...

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I cast some 45-200 SWC for a 45 ACP they mushroom to .750 from .451-.452 .
    I also have a 200 gr 30 cal that has demonstrated expansion from .308 and .312 to .690 .
    I have shot hogs with a 45 Colts loaded with a 454424 and copies at 250-257 gr , it's a Kiethish SWC , and had shield exits over 1/2 inch .
    Getting a cast bullet out of the barrel and accurately on to the target isn't a problem and getting it to expand isn't really hard either . (No pun intended) .
    Having a 358 Win to work with I'm starting with 75/25 WW/1-20+ copper with an RCBS 35-250 around 2100 fps . Based on past work it should be 18 BHN and behave on impact like a 14-16 which means it should exit somewhere around .700 and up .

Of course powder coating or paper patch can change that and allow even softer alloys for even more expansion .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doncrs65 View Post
    I just got on this forum to find out what my options are, I don't reload at least not yet, but is there any one here that can cast and load me some ammo?

You need to learn to reload and then take the cast boolit you plan to hunt with and shoot it into water soaked news print. It will expand and then you carry that with you in case you are ever questioned by an uninformed Fish and Game person. This law seems rather silly or at least hard to prove in court of law. If I took a bullet put in on an anvil and hit on the nose with a hammer and it expanded larger than the original caliber they would be hard pressed to make any case against me. Yes I would fight it. I just wonder if you are getting some office worker on the phone that is clueless?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    You need to learn to reload and then take the cast boolit you plan to hunt with and shoot it into water soaked news print. It will expand and then you carry that with you in case you are ever questioned by an uninformed Fish and Game person. This law seems rather silly or at least hard to prove in court of law. If I took a bullet put in on an anvil and hit on the nose with a hammer and it expanded larger than the original caliber they would be hard pressed to make any case against me. Yes I would fight it. I just wonder if you are getting some office worker on the phone that is clueless?
    The only factory loads with cast bullets are the double tap,all I want is a good brush busting boolits and the only round nose a available are the double tap 310 gr Woodliegh at 69.00 a box.

Boolit Bub
    https://youtu.be/P5dve7vAY9I

Watch this

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    There is no need for "hard" bullets.

For Eastern deer hunting in West Virginia I use plain-based, soft cast bullets of 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals at about 1300-1400 fps in the .30-30 Winchester, about a half charge for jacketed bullet of same weight. 14 grs. 4198, 15 grs. 3031, 16 grs. of 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget with 1 grain Dacron filler tucked loosely into case neck.

They work just fine, expanding to 0.60" and shooting clear through deer from any angle. The photo shows recovered bullets fired into water jugs at 50 yards which penetrated 30 inches in water.

Attachment 238479
    Not to hijack the thread, but this interests me very much. Normally for deer hunting, I use 50/50 COWW to pure or range salvage and 2% tin and shoot at 1800-2000 FPS, but have been wondering lately if I could use a softer alloy (I was thinking 20 to 1) and slow it down significantly since my shots on deer are almost always very close. Apparently, this formula works quite well.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Plain range scrap lyman 375248 (255 gr plain base FN) from a Dan Wesson 375 Supermag moving at 1250 fps (equals the old 38-55 BP load) has exited every corn cruncher I have sighted on. I hunt river bottoms and so far 15 yards is my longest shot. Through the chest in and out always. About 3/4 - 1inch exit hole always. Never lost one. Last buck stood there looking around trying to figure what just happened then walked over to a thicket and laid down. Happily in the better direction.
    Corn crunchers just do not need a lot of energy. I use recurve bow and arrows on most our bean munchers as under 20 yards. Why waist a perfectly quiet morning.
    If I wanted to blow out the shoulders I would use 50-50 (WW - range scrap). But I do not desire bone scrap all through the area.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vendor Sponsor

I just got on this forum to find out what my options are, I don't reload at least not yet,
    It's a LONG TIME until the 2019-2020 deer season opens up. You have plenty of time to procure the basic dies, maybe a beginner press, powder scale, and loading manual. I would hunt up a buddy local to you that can mentor you a bit in reloading, and I am sure you would be able to get someone here to send you enough cast boolits to get started, and you can also buy them commercially cast soft enough to pass the GW's scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but this interests me very much. Normally for deer hunting, I use 50/50 COWW to pure or range salvage and 2% tin and shoot at 1800-2000 FPS, but have been wondering lately if I could use a softer alloy (I was thinking 20 to 1) and slow it down significantly since my shots on deer are almost always very close. Apparently, this formula works quite well.
    It is HARD to beat 50/50+2% for hunting! You don't have to cast softer to slow it down, you can slow down 50/50 COWW and pure lead to subsonic if you want to and it will still kill them DRT. I use 50/50+2% in all my handgun loads, my target velocity at the muzzle is 1200, velocity when it hits hide is right at 1150 - 1170 or so, I have yet to recover a boolit from an Eastern whitetail.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-23-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I can't imagine owning A .35 Whelen WITHOUT reloading for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Plain range scrap lyman 375248 (255 gr plain base FN) from a Dan Wesson 375 Supermag moving at 1250 fps (equals the old 38-55 BP load) has exited every corn cruncher I have sighted on. I hunt river bottoms and so far 15 yards is my longest shot. Through the chest in and out always. About 3/4 - 1inch exit hole always. Never lost one. Last buck stood there looking around trying to figure what just happened then walked over to a thicket and laid down. Happily in the better direction.
    Corn crunchers just do not need a lot of energy. I use recurve bow and arrows on most our bean munchers as under 20 yards. Why waist a perfectly quiet morning.
    If I wanted to blow out the shoulders I would use 50-50 (WW - range scrap). But I do not desire bone scrap all through the area.
    Mike in Peru
    Iam primarily a bow hunter also I just bought this rifle for when I ain't having any luck with my bow and I consider the 35 Whelen a do it all caliber from what I have read about it and videos of it that it's good from pronghorn to grizzly bear if I should desire.

Boolit Bub
    What about this hand press?

Vendor Sponsor

What about this hand press?
    This is probably a waste of time and money to start off with. Look at the Lee turret press that isn't progressive. You can also start with a single stage Lee press that mounts to the bench. These won't ever be a waste, as you can load ammo on a turret press, then use the single stage for your crimp. Lots of folks load like this, where they break seating and crimping into two separate steps. I would advise this as well.

Check this one out:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/81...RoCbDgQAvD_BwE

Of course you don't have to start with Lee, lots of folks here won't own anything with Lee written on it, I might say it is pretty much the K-Mart standard of reloading gear, and it can be made to work quite well. Other options would be Dillon or RCBS but costs will rise accordingly. All of them make beginner kits, you buy the kit and then buy the dies and you can be off and loading an hour after the brown truck pulls away.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-23-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    White oak beat me to it. A bullet in good hardness range for a rifle will expand, prehaps minimally but it will expand. A game warden isnt going to show up with a hardness tester to see if your lead is soft enough. Cast in confidence and go hunt.
    👍🏼

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    White oak beat me to it. A bullet in good hardness range for a rifle will expand, prehaps minimally but it will expand. A game warden isnt going to show up with a hardness tester to see if your lead is soft enough. Cast in confidence and go hunt.
    The double tap boolits have a hardness of 22.

The hand press is for loading ammo at work or camp. I'd start off with a standard press as well. .35 Whelen will do it all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast