Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't use hard cast

Boolit Bub

Can't use hard cast

I have a 35 Whelen and I was going to use hard cast boolits to hunt with but in Alabama you have to use mushrooming boolits only and I want a round or flat nose to hunt brush with. What are my options for a soft or semi soft mushrooming boolits that I can shoot out of my Whelen at 2300 fps?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

ABSOLUTELY!

Here is my Whelen Boolet. Its a NOE 280 RN.

(The two on the left)

Simply cast them softer!!

WW/Lyman #2 will work, Lil softer if ya powder coat them will work too!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-22-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added pics
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Even hard cast bullets expand. Hard cast is just marketing hype.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

The Lee 358200FN works well for me 35 Whelen and 35 Remington. I only push mine to about 2000'/sec for better accuracy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

How will the Alabama Game and Fish know the cast bullets ability to expand?

This type of regulation is meant stop the use of FMJ bullets on game.

I would load up the cast bullets and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by White Oak View Post

Exactly this^^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    doncrs65 welcome to CB.

That would depend on their definition of hard-cast. Most commercial casters boolits (boolit=lead bullet) are around 15-16 BHN (check the lead alloy calculator or LASC link for the hardness of different leads. Are you sure you need to push the boolit that fast?
    What are you planning on hunting and how heavy a boolit are you looking at?
    CW is right, PC (powder coating) will make cast boolits more durable.

The search box on the top right of each forum page is your friend, it connects you to all the posts (knowledge) on CB. If you can't find what you're looking for there just ask, I'd be very surprised if a member didn't have the answer to your question.

If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
    Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
    There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help. I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
    a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ce....htm?lid=10614
    or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rifle-chamber)
    2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy

Some alloys harden over time
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm

Lead alloy calculator
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870
    3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
    The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
    Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
    Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
    NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!

Testing lead hardness with art pencils
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-testing-trick

Link to free online load data
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Optimum seating depth (still feeds and seats with the best accuracy) will vary with every gun
    I read somewhere that you can hold the boolit in the chamber so it's touching the rifling. slide the biggest rod down the barrel and mark where the end of the barrel is. If there is a big gap between the barrel and the rod, you can use a washer the fits snug around the rod to help with marking.
    remove the boolit then chamber an empty piece of brass, use the same rod and measure it again. Do the math, this is your max depth. Back it off a couple thou.
    now you have to worry about feeding.

Boolit Master
    I've been here for years. Many years. The Game Wardens do not consider cast boolits as a FMJ. I used them in my 30/30 for years, as did my late buddy. I also use them in my .44 SRH or .45 Colt or .454 or .480 or any handgun that I took. I used to load up a few boxes for both the 30/30 and .44 mag for my buddy, and I always used them. I can't remember shooting a jacketed bullet from my 30/30, but my youngest son may have.

And Yes, we have been asked a time or two to display our ammo......
    Last edited by Tom W.; 04-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have a 9.3x63 just a metric 35 Whalen. Cast from Lyman#2 my bullet expand at 2100 rib shooting deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by White Oak View Post

Exactly. They mean no FMJ. All lead boolits are as old as time.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Even a solid can mushroom just not like a lead.

Boolit Master

The 35 Whelen is quite a thumper, especially with a cast boolit like the old Lyman 3589 when cast with 50/50 + 1% tin (clip-on wheel weights/pure lead). I have used this combination to successfully take whitetail deer here and black bear in northeastern Canada (New Brunswick). You won't be disappointed. My load information from the mentioned hunts is Boolit weight ended up at 295 grains fully dressed and ready to go, 45 gr H4350EXT, Remington 9 1/2 primer, velocity by chrono 1736'/s. Your results may vary. Approach this load information carefully as it may not prove satisfactory for you. It sure works for me.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Even hard cast bullets expand. Hard cast is just marketing hype.
    This. That "hard cast" name is so stupid.

Cast expand just fine, and you don't need 2300 FPS to do it. Anything .30 caliber or bigger moving 1800 FPS as long as it's reasonably heavy for caliber and has a flat nose is gonna put Bambi down quickly if you know how to hunt and shoot. It's a lot easier than I thought when I started hunting with cast now that I've killed several with the "small bores".

Boolit Bub
    I called Alabama fish and game they said it must mushroom it doesn't matter if it's fmj or cast if it doesn't expand you can't use it. I was going to by some double tap hard cast 200 grain until I found cout I could not use them.

Boolit Bub
    I was going to use them for the brush.

Banned
    Take any lead boolit under 20 bhn and shoot a steel plate, odds are high it will mushroom then carry one of these mushrooms with you.

sorry, purple = sarcasm

you do hollow point and you'll get mushroom and possibly frag.

What are you going to be shooting?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    What is there criteria for determining mushrooming ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doncrs65 View Post
    I called Alabama fish and game they said it must mushroom it doesn't matter if it's fmj or cast if it doesn't expand you can't use it. I was going to by some double tap hard cast 200 grain until I found cout I could not use them.

So how can they tell if it will "mushroom" looking at an unfired round? This is getting sillier all the time.

Load your Whelen with a cast, flat point bullet. Shoot them at 1880+ FPS, they will expand nicely. You are talking about a rifle that is almost grotesquely excessively powerful for Alabama white tails, whoever that game warden you talked to is ignorant as all get out.

Boolit Master
    you mean your gonna get a boolit mold or you need to purchase a cast load that expands?

Take what ever boolit you wish to use and shoot it into as many media types as you can. At some velocity all will expand. Keep a couple of the expanded or mushroomed slugs in the pocket of your hunting vest or jacket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast