RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Jennings .380 Please Help

Boolit Grand Master

New member and not much help with his problem just telling him to throw the gun away. I have a Lorcin I bought off a guy on a whim for $20. Strangely, it works like a champ. Much better than any Kel-Tec I've ever bought.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

My wife has the 9mm. She shoots it often. That thing keeps on going. I was going to get the full size 380. Then i found a deal on my bersa thunder. I was just on the Jimenez web site. They have added some new models. Good to see a company growing.
    Last edited by BigAlofPa.; 03-23-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I certainly ment no disrespect for any one or even the gun , my point is that if it cannot be repaired with a simple parts change it would be money better spent to replace it.
    So sorry if I offended anyone and......WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

With Ruger LCP selling for around $200 on sale , I would wait till I could buy a real gun. The loudest noise you'll ever hear is not the gun going off, it's the "click when it doesn't"
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    It has been my experience that those who dump on these pistols have never owned one. No they are not the type that you plan on handing down through generations . But if you actually try one it may just surprise you.
    The general consensus among those who have plenty of experience with them is that they can work, but tend to have a very high failure rate, and are generally not built to last. That's fairly typical for a manufactured item that's produced using the lowest cost material and assembled by unskilled workers.

It sounds like yours is a good one, and that's great. Any gun that works well for you is a good gun, in my opinion. My experience with them was different, but I didn't get a good one. I'm not likely to ever have another because I'm a little gun shy about them (pardon the pun). Well, if I found one cheap enough I guess I'd take a chance.

It's funny because I usually find myself on the other side of this kind of discussion. I was recently defending the merits of the Heritage Rough Rider revolver. I have one that shot very well, and I considered it a good value for a $100 gun. I defended it right up until the barrel fell off. Well, it didn't fall off, it just came loose. I bought it brand new and had maybe 300 or 400 rounds through it, so it was disappointing to have that kind of failure, but not terribly surprising considering the cost and quality. Even under new-gun warranty, it still would have cost me $50 to send it back for repair, so I just fixed it myself. I still consider it a decent value, but you get what you pay for...

Ptplee, please accept a belated welcome to the forum. I sure we all meant no disrespect in our replies; we've all got our opinions. If you can, and are still following this thread, post up some photos of the problem. Maybe someone can tell you whether it looks to be worth fixing or not. It could always be something simple, you never know.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have had really good luck with some of the lower priced guns. I have a phoenix arms 25 acp that i have put several thousand rounds through without a hitch. Now i do not hot load any of my ammo not sure if that makes any difference.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the OP's best bet is call Jimenez and see if they will fix it. My understanding is that even if they dont cover it under warranty they will bring it up to new condition for like $40.00. He already owns the gun so why not try to get some use out of it?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I certainly ment no disrespect for any one or even the gun , my point is that if it cannot be repaired with a simple parts change it would be money better spent to replace it.

Unless your like me and buy cheap stuff like that used just to see if it works or if you can make it go bang. Great items to practice gunsmithing on. If and when you ruin it your not out much.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Well i actually do buy cheap and broken guns to see if i can make them work. I get a thrill taking them out to the range.

Me too. Currently trying to resuscitate a pawn shop Winchester 94 Ranger that looks like it spent it's life sliding around in a truck bed.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If you push down on the slide with an empty primed case in the chamber can the firing pin pop the primer?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Well i actually do buy cheap and broken guns to see if i can make them work. I get a thrill taking them out to the range.
    I hear you on that! A few years back I paid a total of $50 for a WWII Mosin Nagant and a Remington model 12 .22 pump rifle. I bought them from an acquaintance settling an estate, because nobody else wanted them. A gun dealer had told him to toss them in the dumpster outside, they were that bad. It took a lot of time and effort but they turned out pretty good. They were fun projects.

Sorry to detour the thread, don’t mean to hijack.

No, I don't think its a hijack at all. The OP is asking about how to get some use out of a gun that most regard as junk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12