Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depriming PSD .223/5.56 brass

Depriming PSD .223/5.56 brass

This was the most applicable sub forum that I figured my problem could be posted. Anyway.... I was trying to deprime and resize some PSD brass and had trouble getting the primers out. I am using a Hornady die set with the zip spindle. I could get the primer about 3/4 out and then the decap would let loose and that was it. Shell stuck in the shell holder because the primer was not all the way out and decapping pin "zipped out". I tried to tighten the decapping pin pretty tight. The pin was set @ 3/16" below the end of the die like the directions explained. I realize PSD is a military crimped primer. Has anyone else had trouble with this brass? Maybe a different die set?

The die is doing its job.
    You may need the primer pin set down deeper.
    Move it down a little more, and try again.
    As long as the pin doesn't punch a hole in the primer, you're not in trouble.
    I've had to set them so low, you'd think the expander ball would hit the bottom of the brass.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks for the reply Winger Ed. I had the primer pin set pretty deep. So low it actually pushed the neck and shoulder into the body of the case I ended up using my lee trim gauge inserted and a couple wacks with a hammer to finally get the primer out. This was only on the second case.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had similar trouble with 223's a few times but I don't remember which headstamps they were. I started depriming with a universal decapping die several years ago when I started wet tumbling. It seems to have eliminated this problem.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like your decapping pin may be too big for the flash hole and is binding and then pulling out. Some decapping pins are larger diameter than others. Checked several sets I have and got the following diameters.

Lee universal .0715
    RCBS 223 FL .0625
    RCBS 243 NS .0725
    RCBS 243 FL .0635
    Hornady 30/06 FL .0715

Problem may also be the brass, flash hole on the tight side. Have had the same issue on occasion with various brands, but generally only with a single case with an out of spec flash hole. This will sometime happen with an off center flash hole as well binding on the pin. Definitely set the decapping rod deeper as the crimp tends to hold onto the primer. You can try polishing the pin, remove it from the spindle and chuck the section in the spindle in an electric drill so as not to reduce diameter (you want a tight grip on the spindle) and spin it using 400 grit on the business end. The pins are fairly hard but should polish down a bit. Worst case you'll have a really shiny decapping pin.

Thanks for the advice so far! I have read that some of this brass does or can have an off center flash hole. I don't have alot of this brass, 20pcs or so, but have read that it is pretty good brass. Rich/WIS Hornady included a extra pin with this die set, so I will have to give this a try and could have two different sized decapping pins

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the universal die when depriming military cases the first time.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen primers pulled back into the csae slightly also. stoning a small radius on the pin sometimes helps with removal. Finding the right depth for the pin helps sometimes a little deeper or shallower makes a big difference.
    A simple punch and base can be used on stubborn primers. This used a hammer for power and drives them out. In this way you can swage or ream the pockets once the primers are out. It also allows for primer pockets to be cleaned.
    A lot have went to hand deprimers for those reasons. I hand deprime cases then clean in vibratory. Prime and load. Crimped primers can be a bear to remove at times.

Boolit Master
    Yep i swear some of those primers are crimped in more than normal and epoxied too. Nothing to do but loosen the decapper rod, unscrew die and grip it with a vice grip while slowly lowering ram. Now i separate this brass for last. YEMV, todd/3leg

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a bent pin or off center hole. I’ve loaded PSD brass hundreds of times. Are you using enough lube?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have seen primers pulled back into the csae slightly also. stoning a small radius on the pin sometimes helps with removal. Finding the right depth for the pin helps sometimes a little deeper or shallower makes a big difference.
    I too have seen the punch get stuck in the anvil of the primer, which then pulls the primer up just enough to stick in the case and prevent case removal from the shell holder. I've had some success just tapping the case to get the primer to fall free... YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by CPC24 View Post
    Sounds like a bent pin or off center hole. I’ve loaded PSD brass hundreds of times. Are you using enough lube?
    Pretty sure. Couple shots of one shot, roll around, and a couple squirts more. Even tried the second with some lee lube put on by hand.
    I'll have some time later today to mess around and I'll use some of these ideas. Appreciate all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Yep i swear some of those primers are crimped in more than normal and epoxied too. Nothing to do but loosen the decapper rod, unscrew die and grip it with a vice grip while slowly lowering ram. Now i separate this brass for last. YEMV, todd/3leg
    Yep they sure are. They have a red coating around the primer pocket.

Boolit Master

I don't de-prime on the press anymore. I de-prime using the Lee de-priming punch and the appropriate size de-priming chamber. I have broken one priming pin in several years of doing it this way and that was my fault. I got into too big of a hurry and did not have the pin in the flash hole and gave it a harder second whack. My fault. An off center primer flash hole can break a de-priming pin in a heart beat. I know, that is why I went to my current method. I got tired of re-placing de-priming pins. james

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by skud007 View Post
    Pretty sure. Couple shots of one shot, roll around, and a couple squirts more. Even tried the second with some lee lube put on by hand.
    I'll have some time later today to mess around and I'll use some of these ideas. Appreciate all the help!
    I tried One Shot, but tight cases would stick. I use the Hornady liquid or even boolit lube, especially when reforming cases.

Boolit Master
    Have a Wilson punch and base set that is used to deprime prior to any crimp removal. That is my go to for military brass and '06 as well as I have both sets. Somewhere around here is a universal depriming die but darned if I can find it when I need it. Frank

Boolit Master

Squirrel daddy decapping pins. Solved all my problems.
    https://www.squirreldaddy.com/category-s/336.htm
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Squirrel daddy decapping pins. Solved all my problems.
    https://www.squirreldaddy.com/category-s/336.htm
    Those look really stout! Page bookmarked. I don't think they will work with the hornady dies though. The lee universal dies is pretty affordable and should have one anyway. I may go the hand depriming route as well and move away from the press, at least for military crimped brass. You can never have too many tools!!

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Have a Wilson punch and base set that is used to deprime prior to any crimp removal. That is my go to for military brass and '06 as well as I have both sets. Somewhere around here is a universal depriming die but darned if I can find it when I need it. Frank
    On the Wilson set, Would it be better to get the stnd. decappin pin or the .057 flash hole pin?

For the necks getting pushed down in the shoulders I'd think that was caused by lack of lube inside the necks. I really like the Lee collet system to retain the decapping stem and was a little disappointed when Hornady went to the zip style that doesn't seem to always locate the stem on center and took away the ability for it to easily slip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast