Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage rifle question (308, cheap, Winchester, range)

Savage rifle question (308, cheap, Winchester, range)

Hey guys
    Ok I have a Savage 110 rifle. I rebarreled it to 308 from 30-06. Strictly to consolidate. I had way too many different calibers to try and feed. But now I'm thinking to go with a magnum barrel 300 win mag or order a magnum barrel 30-06. I'm not sure what are good barrels these days. I usually get factory barrels. I'm not looking into long long range stuff. I don't reload. I do buy hunting ammo for hunting and basic stuff for range. Basically deer hunting maybe 500 yards at the furthest with a average of 200. I hunt pretty wooded areas so the shots are rarely long distance. I could simply stick to the 308 it's worked fine. I dont reload but when I drink beer its Dos Equis.
    So stick to 308 rifle ( which pretty much takes care of anything I've come across)
    Go with 300 win mag
    Go with 30-06
    Last edited by Repass; 03-25-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Banned

A change to .300 Win Mag will require more than a barrel change, bolt face and magazine will have to be different to feed that bigger case head.

You'd be better off settling on one and spending the money and time of swapping barrels on more ammo and practice or learning to reload. Either a .308 or .30-06 (no practical difference in the field) is more capable than 99% of hunters out there can use in the field.

Banned
    What he said.

308w can be a lot Cheaper to shoot and practice with. and the rifles can be a joy to carry. But 2 rounds out of a lite weight 300W. Mag sent me back to my 308 real Quick and that was shooting offhand. Just my thoughts I guess thats why I shoot my 30/30s the most.

Boolit Master
    308 is a very capable round inside the distance you mentioned. I killed a large bodied mule deer at 509 yards a couple years ago with a 26" 308 shooting a 178gr eldx. Spend alot of time shooting twice the distance your willing to take a shot at an animal and you'll be just fine......gotta be on the range shooting from field positions on the days that aren't perfect also.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    The bolt head swap is no deal breaker but a magazine swap will be needed as well. Just have to find the pieces and do the deed.

The mostest stuff for Savages is over at the Savage Shooter forum, info as well.

The OP needs to decide what he wants, then set a course to get there. It is all do able and not that hard.

I have been a hand loader since 1975 when I was 19 years old and can not imagine shooting without handloading.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    What is a mag. barrel 30-06?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master
    You really can't do much shooting or learn to shoot well buying factory ammo.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    500 yards is long range for most people. With a 10 MPH wind, figure 20" wind drift. Not many can judge wind in the field that well.

I standardized on the .308 (four rifles) and wish I had selected the .30/06. Not worth the cost to change IMHO.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

If recoil is a problem then a heavier barrel in 308 or 30-06 will help as will adding weight to the rifle. In reality with the mid range weight bullets there isn't much difference between 308 and 30-06 performance wise. Going to 300 win mag will up the performance and also add recoil. On the savage the bolt head isn't a big deal to change to magnum, buy the new one and install check headspace. The mag will need some work. The barrels change out easily. If you saved the parts you could have a swap barrel rifle in 308 and 300 win mag with little change over time.

The big thing is what you want to do with the rifle? targets, plinking, hunting? If hunting what sized game?

Boolit Master
    I have a .308 Savage I use for paper at longer ranges. But, if I were to hunt elk at longer range I'd probably take a .30-06.

For ammo use Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills when doing range work. Hornady Precision Hunter works for hunting and range.

Boolit Master
    If you kept the 3006 barrel I would've said just swap it back , if not keep it as a 308 and shoot it more .
    This is coming from someone that loves the 300 mag .

Boolit Grand Master

35 Whelen
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I would happily hunt anyting in Texas with the 308 and I would happily hunt anything in New York with the 308. But that's just me in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    As stated, a 308 will do anything A 30/06 will at 500 yds, the difference is when you get to 700yds and out. I would advise you to spend your funds on a good reloading setup, which will cost you about t $200-250, and you will be amazed at how simple it is, to roll your own ammo, and you can load 3-4 rounds for what one costs in the store, if you look around before buying supplies. You will be able to shoot much more for less money, you can tailor a load to fit, and shoot better in your rifle. And you wont run out of ammo, and find out the local store is sold out of your favorite ammo, the day before season. The two best sources for buying reloading supplies is Midsouth Shooters supply and Grafs.com. They only charge real shipping prices or a flat rate for shipping, usually have anything needed in stock and usually get an order in 3-4 days. Both of these companies are top notch to deal with. An if you start reloading, give me a holler, I have been doing load development for 35+ years, and I can get you started with 3-4 loads for a .308 that will be tack drivers out of the gate, if your rifle is tuned. By that, I mean the barrel floated, and the action skim bedded, barrel cleaned with a good copper solvent and trigger adjusted. That is my contribution to this conversation.!!

Boolit Master
    If you want to shoot at those ranges you listed, you better take up reloading, cause you'll go broke buying store bought ammo with all shooting you will doing! It takes lots of practice to be able to hit targets at way out there ranges, at least it does for me! And that changes from day to day. 308 is a great round, and is more than adiqite for what you are asking.

Boolit Grand Master

Instead of going up, why not stick with the 308 and add a 7-08 to the fold. Nothing changes but the barrel and you have a good long range round, or drop to the 6mm if you want. They are all adequate for the hunting you do.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!