WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: A Tired Red Head

Banned

A Tired Red Head

This one followed me home from a gunshow last weekend. The dealer thought it was a Tru-Line Jr. Included is a 45-70 die set, a #2 J shellholder and several misc Lyman 310 dies. Th dealer really wanted it off his table so he made me a cannot refuse offer.

This looks to be a Narramore made, three color press as there are no markings on the top post or the links. There is no trace of paint either. All the parts and pins appear to be original. Despite it's appearance the press works great and the dies are loose. I don't know what the shellholder fits, however the sizing die is marked 30-30. I cannot find numbers on the seat die. Both dies are Red Head dies.

I could clean it and repaint it but I think leaving just as found has some merit, for now. Andd I don't have to attempt to duplicate that funky, chalky grey color Narramore used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4449.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	238415

Name:	IMG_4448.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	238414

Name:	IMG_4447.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	238413

Name:	IMG_4446.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	238412

Is that a giant crack at the base???
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

Looks like a piece of string or something similar. It doesn't look like a crack to me. But then I could be wrong. SWMBO says I don't see or hear too good.
    John
    W.TN

That's cool.

If nothing else, it's a great conversation piece.

I wonder how old it is. It can't be newer than the early 1950's.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    50 BMG, that's a dust bunny on the base. I found it at the Fort Worth Collectors show.

Narramore started selling the Redhead in 1938, in 1942 he as called back to active duty with the Army and either gave or sold the press to CC Johnson of Thackery Ohio. Johnson was a well known rifle builder at the time. He changed the color from three to two colors, eliminating the chalky grey, and began stamping the top post with a year and production number, he also put his name on the links.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just noticed this thread, Ken. Have you done any more with it? If ever a press was deserving of a loving restoration, that is the one! The recent thread showing that baby Herter's press has me getting all excited about small die presses again. somebody hold me back!!

Froggie

PS Mine is an early '50s CC Johnson for which I made up a custom shell holder for the large rim 1873 Maynard case and installed modern made 40-65 dies from Lyman 310 tool production to load 40-40 Maynard rounds perfectly. You know how I like to build dedicated press set ups.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-04-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Mr. Frog Person sir, I decided to leave it as is. It has no markings so I am thinking it is an early Narramore press. It is in good overall condition, just ugly looking.

Keep an eye on eBay, you will find one of those little Model 27's eventually. I know you will enjoy using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Mr. Frog Person sir, I decided to leave it as is. It has no markings so I am thinking it is an early Narramore press. It is in good overall condition, just ugly looking.

Keep an eye on eBay, you will find one of those little Model 27's eventually. I know you will enjoy using it.
    I just went back and reread the whole thread on the Model 27... and it appears that as usual, I’ve hopped to a wrong conclusion. I thought it was bored for and dedicated to the small dies, not just a little press with an adaptor bushing.

I wonder whether scaled-down C press, dedicated to the little dies, was ever made(?) That would round out the symmetry of the four die TL Jr and the three stations on the Naramore. Of course I would also love to have a little two position H press like a miniature CH Champion. Hmmmm

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    To my knowledge no one ever made a single station press for the little Lyman dies, though I thing one would be very nice to have.
    Actually the Model 27 and the little, 1/2 size PR3 are the only miniature, general reloading presses marketed. Not counting some current offerings directed at the benchrest crowd.

Ken