RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge from hell

Ya hamburger shoulder anyone
    Uhhh... I'll pass

I doubt any one is calling you a wuss if they are we need to let them shoot it
    Last edited by Ozark mike; 06-20-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    Big, big, update! Unfortunately, the Lehigh defense slugs will not be happening. Too much back and forth with not enough action. I don't want to disparage them at all, they make fantastic products. This was just out of their wheelhouse and they admitted so. So, not wanting to give up my goal of a copper solid, I contacted Jason at Badlandsprecision.com. Right away, Jason gave me his cellphone number and had me call to discuss what I wanted, my specs, ect. The next day, he sent me a design. I looked over the design and sent him what I wanted changed. The next day, he sent me the revised design which I approved.

Attachment 263080

I made the payment the following week and he said he'd start when he got the material. Fast forward to yesterday, less than a week from when we last spoke, he send me an email confirming that the design is what I wanted, and that he would get the equipment set up. Today, he sends me an email with the first slug to come off the lathe.

Attachment 263081

A few hours later, he sent me a final email saying that he had finished my order of 200 slugs, and that I'd have them in a week. I cannot reccomend his company enough. Fantastic to deal with from start to finish. And boy are these slugs pretty!!

Attachment 263082

In less than 3 weeks, he went from a design to a real thing. The slugs are 726 grains of solif copper. My load development will start over, but I am completely fine with that. I cannot wait to get these in hand!
    I agree that they're real pretty, but them things is illegal here in Oklahoma! Gotta have at least a 60% lead core. Not sure how much of the core there has to be, either.

I have a weakness. Yes, only one! I love BIG, FAST bullets! Or Boolits!

Boolit Buddy
    That's a rather weird law. What's the idea behind that, besides being absolutely ridiculous?

Boolit Master

Scrounge
    Will you please post the requirement on Oklahoma laws
    Thank you
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 06-22-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked it up and it seems like it's a weird twist on armor penetrating round laws.

Most states want to ban lead never heard of that

Boolit Master

Found something
    https://lawcenter.giffords.org/ammun...n-in-oklahoma/

Wonder what "high velocity" is?

Banner Sponsor

That's a monster for sure. Thanks for the updates and videos
    I don't remember, did you put lead in the butt, or was it mercury recoil reducers?
    When I put my 470NE together I made lead plugs to put in the butt stock, but it is a pea shooter compared to your Beast. You might consider looking into the Mercury vs just plain lead weights. It's supposed to help dampen the recoil impulse.
    I'd like to sleeve my 10ga double, but I'm not sure the Zabala action is heat treated to take the strain. It is a dual lump with Greener crossbolt.
    I gave one to a friend that has tried some warm 10ga round ball loads and the action is starting to come off face.
    Anyway, good luck with your project, and keep those retinas intact

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That's a monster for sure. Thanks for the updates and videos
    I don't remember, did you put lead in the butt, or was it mercury recoil reducers?
    When I put my 470NE together I made lead plugs to put in the butt stock, but it is a pea shooter compared to your Beast. You might consider looking into the Mercury vs just plain lead weights. It's supposed to help dampen the recoil impulse.
    I'd like to sleeve my 10ga double, but I'm not sure the Zabala action is heat treated to take the strain. It is a dual lump with Greener crossbolt.
    I gave one to a friend that has tried some warm 10ga round ball loads and the action is starting to come off face.
    Anyway, good luck with your project, and keep those retinas intact
    Hey, thank you sir! Yes I put as much lead as I could in the stock. I've got a new stock coming that I will try to make heavier. I've thought about using mercury, but technically it's illegal to have that on a plane. I know a lot of folks travel with reducers in their stock, just not wanting to deal with that headache if it were to come up.

Boolit Master
    That's a rather weird law. What's the idea behind that, besides being absolutely ridiculous?
    skeetxx has it, it's a "cop killer bullet" ban. I don't think they realize that fast bullets can pierce armor. The .30 Mauser, as I understand it, can punch through a class 3 vest. Cartridge was designed in the 1890's, and doesn't need a teflon coating. Designed for an 86 grain bullet, 1450fps. Small fast bullet, lots of energy in a small area.

Boolit Buddy
    They are full bore at .729". For accuracy IDK! That's the experimental part. Jason used his bullet designing program to make sure it would stabilize with my twist rate. If it's accurate to 100 yards that's about the max it would be for range. The drop will be insane with this weight. And for game, more like buffalo lol.
    The drop won’t be insane... but you probably know that by now, no more than anything leaving the muzzle at 1800 fps. Probably less drop than a .530 round ball from a Hawken...

The very first thing that came to mind when I stumbled into this thread is “a 20 gauge would suit my needs better.” The second thought was “a case full of Swiss 2f would make a lovely roar and darken the skies!” Well done and thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    skeetxx has it, it's a "cop killer bullet" ban. I don't think they realize that fast bullets can pierce armor. The .30 Mauser, as I understand it, can punch through a class 3 vest. Cartridge was designed in the 1890's, and doesn't need a teflon coating. Designed for an 86 grain bullet, 1450fps. Small fast bullet, lots of energy in a small area.
    Also forgot to mention that you can't carry anything over .45 caliber for self-defense. Don't ask me, I've only lived here for a bit over 24 years. And Constitutional Carry was just passed last year.

Boolit Buddy
    Happy 4th yall. Got new wood for the 12gaFH. Not happy with it for the premium I paid. Got Boyd's "xx" walnut and got practically no figuring. Can't return it, so I did my best to make it look good. Got it unfinished so I sanded and filled grain and have around 14 layers of tru-oil sanding between layers. Came out looking good, but wish the wood looked better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_07-03-08.38.03.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	264399

Name:	PicsArt_07-03-08.39.55.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	264400

Name:	PicsArt_07-03-08.41.31.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	264401

Name:	PicsArt_07-03-08.43.54.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	264402

Boolit Buddy
    Got married yesterday! After we took our vows the men of my new family joined me in shooting the 12 Gauge from Hell. Got the stock heavier so recoil is greatly reduced. Doesn't lift my foot off the ground at 2k fps. Now I can go hotter without fear of getting knocked over. Next load should be close to 8k ft-lbs of energy

Name:	PicsArt_07-04-09.32.58.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	264478

Name:	PicsArt_07-04-09.36.35.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	264479

Name:	PicsArt_07-04-10.57.22.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	264480

http://youtu.be/RLCoFJQASAw

Boolit Master

Congrats on the marriage
    Yeeee Hawww !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you sir! Couldn't give my wife the wedding she deserves because all the covid... got legally married at the JOP and said our vows on the 4th in front of a small group of our family. Using the 4th as our anniversary date

Boolit Buddy
    Penetration test. Don't know why the velocity reading was so low... I have confirmed velocities on 205gr charges at 2k fps. At 210 gr it resulted in the same 2k fps. Now, the 205 charges had more neck tension than this load (.005" vs .003") but still. I can tell you, it certainly didn't recoil like this at my wedding with the confirmed 2k fps loadings. So I don't know what to believe, the chronograph or my shoulder. What's y'alls thoughts? Anyone have problems with magneto speeds? I would like to get a lab radar to use with it to get confirmation, but they are pretty pricey.

https://youtu.be/lDqtezTWdFU

Boolit Grand Master

I don't use that kind of chronograph myself, but my thinking is that style can't handle the kind of blast that comes with 200+ grains of powder. Even with normal loads, I set my chronograph a few feet away. I have to keep it close enough that wadding doesn't hit it, else I'd set it 10' away.

You are going to need a heck of a lot more jugs than that. I can't even begin to guess what kind of penetration is possible, but that slug absolutely decimated the first 6 or 7 of those. I've got a 45 acp load of a 255gr solid at about 850 fps. That load will blow up the first one, split the second good, then usually stop in the 10th jug. I'd try 20 jugs lined up!

Boolit Mold
    Sorry if I missed it looking through the posts--could you explain how you expanded the necks? That's a lot of expansion.

I cringe when that thing goes off. My theory if a eyeball type chrony cant see that big bullet movin over it that company should be out of business my cheep caldwell does fine as long as it isnt to dark.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast