Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge from hell

Boolit Grand Master

The barrel on that is thick enough, you might get away with drilling and tapping for a front sight, if you didn't want to silver solder.

Something like this Skinner bear buster sight might work.

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

Boolit Buddy
    New load, a couple more videos.

215 gr of reloader 17

616gr slug @1790 fps

https://youtu.be/UEoWaccQafA

https://youtu.be/c579zmJwER4

This load was pretty stout. Recoil is starting to be a lot. Working up, naturally lol

Boolit Master

Been following this on YouTube.
    Pretty awesome.

Boolit Buddy
    https://youtu.be/Tvd5KgeDwwE

Sorry for the poor quality, I was losing light fast and wanted to get readings. This is pretty much just a display of recoil. Ordering clear ballistics gel soon to have a really good test video

First load 1,746 fps = 4,170 FT-LBS of energy and 133 LBS of recoil

Second load 1,827 FPS = 4,566 FT-LBS of energy and 142 LBS of recoil

Third load 1,923 FPS = 5,059 FT-LBS of energy and 163 LBS of recoil!

Last one surprised me a bit. Definitely rattles the ole' brain. Things are getting interesting.

Boolit Grand Master
    If a gun gives you headaches after shooting it one might well visualize being struck in the head by a blow because it is substantially the same thing.

Giving oneself CTE is bad enough for boxers and football players. Don’t look back on this time and wish you had done something to stop yourself earlier. We inevitably find out nobody lives forever, and hastening one’s early demise never looks good in hindsight.

A lightweight guy gets accelerated to high velocity during recoil and your brain gets yanked into acceleration and bumping into the skull that it rarely experiences otherwise. Give that some thought.

Boolit Master
    That reminds me of the Jack O'Connor story of the video of an old geezer shooting a very large bore double rifle. At the shot his hat, glasses and false teeth all flew off.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_02-03-11.22.23.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	256066

Have 6 loaded up. Trying out a new slug. Hopefully it holds together better than the JHP. The new slugs ate 656 gr. Starting load is 210 gr of RE17.

Boolit Buddy
    https://youtu.be/s5z_Px4bKt0

656 gr @ 1831 fps

Boolit Buddy
    https://youtu.be/ufCD4YdtkgQ

HOT DAMN! 656 gr slug @ 2270 FPS!! That's 7,507 FT-LBs of muzzle energy!!! It had 202 LBS of free recoil. We are cooking now! Seating depth is key with this cartridge and powder combo. With less powder, a heavier slug, and more seating depth I got much higher velocities. With the JHP I formally used, I could only seat the bullet maybe 3/16 of an inch due to the shape. These slugs have much greater room for playing with seating depth and require much less fill. This was only a 220gr charge.

Boolit Master

Enjoying this
    What is the intended purpose of this power?
    Looks like most of the energy will be on the other side of a moose?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    With the right bullet, large dangerous beasties

Boolit Master

Any idea of pressure?

Boolit Buddy
    Good lord man...That thing is a beast!

Careful, or you're gonna end up with CTE and detached retinas...

Boolit Grand Master

so... is it accurate at all?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Any idea of pressure?
    Quickload says 20k psi. Velocity estimates are about 60 fps off on quickload.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Good lord man...That thing is a beast!

Careful, or you're gonna end up with CTE and detached retinas...
    I limit the number of shots I take a day to minimize risk.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    so... is it accurate at all?
    So far yes. Though I haven't shot for groups, at about 25 yards it seems to be pretty decently accurate.

Awesome man keep up the great work!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, big big update. Today I spoke with the engineer for Lehigh defense. If you look way back on this thread, you will see I have been trying to get a slug made by them for some time. Well, it's happening. Things have changed a little from the original plan. To recap, the original plan was for a 600 gr, all copper Xtreme defender. The slug that will be made is a 725gr, full brass Xtreme Penetrator (possibly with a hollow base). The reason being, at this weight and diameter, it has a pretty low SD. The XP design should help it penetrate deeper. The brass will also not deform as easily as the copper would and will be cheaper. The engineer did put to rest my concerns for excessive wear on the rifling. After these details were taken care of, the conversation turned to how we are going to handle the sale of the slugs. Lehigh is not used to random guys wanting something like this. They deal with ammunition manufacturers that plan in marketing their bullets. So this left us confused on how to approach this issue. I could either have Lehigh sell this slug to me only. This allows me to market the bullet as my own amd sell to whomever I wanted. If you want bullets, you gotta go through me. Now, with the slugs being so expensive, and me having 3 kids and a full time job, I don't have the time, money, or resources to do something like that. So instead, I told Lehigh that slugs could be made available to anyone who wants them. So, if you want a 725gr 12 gauge slug from Lehigh defense, you can give them a call and get some for yourself. I do not know how they will do at standard velocities, but if you wanted to try, you can. Now, there will likely be a minimum of 1000 slugs to be able to order. So a group buy would be the best way to get your hands on them without having to drop a serious amount of cash. A lot of people have been following this project, and a lot of people have been a big help. It would be a great disservice to the cartridge, and to anyone who is interested in this if I selfishly made this slug exclusive only to me. Prices for the slug are not determined yet, I should have a quote by Friday. Once I get info, I will pass it along.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't mean this in a derogatory manner, but when Fury bullets already makes a proven 650 grain jacketed bullet, and with Tom at Accurate molds making cast slugs only limited by imagination, why would anyone opt for an experimental, and extremely expensive bullet for a gun such as this?

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using fury slugs from day one. They are soft lead and turn to dust on impact. Not designed for these velocities so no penetration. Lead molds are very limited for slug design and weight. But here is the big reason, monolithic brass/copper bullets are light for caliber which mean, they are longer. The longer slug gives me more room for playing with seating depth (which, I have shown plays a huge role in velocities for this) and will require less fill in the case. With the fury slugs having essentially zero penetration capabilities, this gun is essentially a toy. All bark, no teeth. With a bullet that actually holds together and does what it's supposed to do, it becomes a serious hunting platform, which is what it's meant to be.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast