Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge from hell

Boolit Buddy
    Now thag is awesome and beautiful!

Boolit Buddy
    Still waiting to hear back feom Dave at CH4D about a bushing die. I have my powder and primers all ready, only thing needed besides the die is a consistent annealing method.

Boolit Buddy
    Holy **** could take up to 22 months!

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, researching muzzle brakes. I could only manage to get the gun to 11 lbs (there is a "told you so" I am expecting from one of the wiser gents in this thread ) the rig is perfectly balanced, but it's not enough. At this weight recoil (estimated mind you) will be well above 200 lbs and closer to 300 with heavy rounds.... that's way more than I feel safely shooting. So not being a fan of detaching a retina or breaking/dislocating a clavicle/shoulder a brake will be an absolute necessity. This is the last thing I wanted to do. Of all my big guns there is only one with a brake, and that's my ultra long range 300wm rig so I can spot my own shots. Even with the lowly 300wm the brake is obnoxious. Like I said, I'm a small guy and I can handle recoil fairly decently, but when we are talking close to 300 ft-lbs of recoil I feel no man can handle that.

Boolit Buddy
    For an example of my recoil absorbing abilities here is my FIRST time firing my 458 lott with a 500 gr load. I have since been able to manage the recoil even better.

http://youtu.be/eAbcTup8Xxc

And for a comparison here is some friends/family shooting the exact same thing.

http://youtu.be/cIDSXULnXN4

Language warning on this one (this guy is an idiot and I no longer associate with him... a friend of a friend)

http://youtu.be/pIxI9BGCH-U

Boolit Master

Looks like fun (depending on one's pain tolerance level! ) but unless this is an already established over-fifty-caliber cartridge doesn't it require a waver from our friendly folks at the BATF before it can be legal? I am not at all saying there is a problem here but if this is a brand new cartridge that is larger than .50 caliber I "think" a person has to notify the feds and get a waver for it, or maybe not???????
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Bigbore, A good way to develop a major flinch or a bum shoulder. I’ll just watch, thanks.

Banner Sponsor

The beauty of this round is that it is a 12 ga. It will chamber and fire any and all 12 ga ammo.
    I believe that RobGunBuilder and Ed Hubbel had a conversation with the ATF and they agreed that it was a 12 ga. All of that would be in the BigBore forum at Accurate Reloading.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    Ok, researching muzzle brakes. I could only manage to get the gun to 11 lbs.
    I know a very talented Gun Smith that could handle your muzzle brake requirements.
    https://www.facebook.com/Malcolm-Bal...8473866947427/

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info. I had a local gunsmith tell me he wouldn't do it as it didn't interest him... Anyone else have any ideas on custom dies? CH4D is going to take an extremely long time and I'm really getting fired up to take my test shots... i wonder if I could use an expanding reamer to ream out a solid block of metal to .002" undersized with a chamfer to start the brass and just use that to get my neck tension. It would of course have to be highly polished but I don't think it would need to be hardened for just neck sizing

Banner Sponsor

While you are waiting on your dies, you could always load with 3 1/2" plastic hulls.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/12.../products/125/

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know how you are with a lathe, but I see a 20mm drill bit is 0.7874". Drill bits make a slightly larger hole than what they are, so this would get you very close to the .790" you call for. You could easily drill out a Lee 50 BMG die, and lap to size.

Banner Sponsor

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...YaAn9jEALw_wcB

These guys have 1 1/4" DOM tube x 1/4" wall. That will give you .750" ID.
    I wonder if a local machine shop could thread the outside for your press and ream out the inside to .790" or what ever you needed?
    What press are you going to use? What size die threads does it take?

Boolit Buddy
    That's kind of what I was thinking! I don't think it would be hard to have it taper from .790" to .788" to get me the neck tension I want. No need for a decaper as the brass is large enough to use a punch. The press I'm gonna use is a lee 50 bmg press which accepts 1 1/4"-12 and 7/8"-14. Also, I work in an electric motor shop as a winding technician, and my boss is a machinist... wonder if I can't get him to help me out for a case of beer.

Boolit Master

Wonder is this could be made to work with 3 1/2?

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod85305.aspx

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/RC...tinfo/6009906/

You get the sizing ring and a shell holder also
    Last edited by skeettx; 04-04-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I have them and they will not work. Only works for very thin brass. Also it puts a roll crimp on brass and that definitely won't be possible for mine. It was an expensive gamble I lost on trying it out haha

Boolit Master

But I was thinking the on the roll crimping die, you would bore it out to make a neck sizing die
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190406-155512_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	239347

I'm not an engineer, so I'm not too good at design, but this is what I came up with for a sizing die. The lead machinist in my shop said he could do it so that's nice. The only thing that has me questioning is making the ID before it tapers the neck. As I have it now it'll be .790" which is the size of the brass. I wonder if it needs to be a little bigger (especially at the base) to make it easier to insert and neck size. I do not think this brass will expand on firing as it's so thick and the pressure is so low, but the neck definitely will. Maybe the opening of the die needs a couple thou extra for clearance. What do you guys think? This is getting to be out of my wheelhouse.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, if the brass does expand a bit, full length sizing will most likely result in a stuck or damaged case. This brass is super thick.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The beauty of this round is that it is a 12 ga. It will chamber and fire any and all 12 ga ammo.
    I believe that RobGunBuilder and Ed Hubbel had a conversation with the ATF and they agreed that it was a 12 ga. All of that would be in the BigBore forum at Accurate Reloading.
    In addition, the ATF makes exemptions to the " .500 " rule for rounds that have a sporting purpose.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast