Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge from hell

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Keep us up dated on results at least every three months.
    If we no longer hear from you after 4-5 months we might have to assume the gun won.
    I was just thinking that. I have heard of duplex loads. Never heard of it being done with smoke less powder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.accuratereloading.com/700ne.html

Here is info on 700 nitro loading

Boolit Master

Nothing like hunting with ani tank artillery. I am kidding, but reminds me of a scene frome Jurasic Park. 700 Nitro and 12 Gauge from Hell is what they should have shot the Trex with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    Lol from rough calculations, if the gun stays at its current weight, it'll recoil with around 177 lbs of energy roughly. That's definitely a lot. I'm used to heavy recoil (hot 45-70, 300 wm, 338 wm, 458 lott ect.) But this is definitely in a different league. I plan to get enough weight to balance the gun, if it's still too much to handle it'll get a brake
    Keep in mind that a 8 lb .30-06 rifle has about 15 ftlbs of recoil energy. A.300 Win Mag is 30 ftlbs. You might want to shoot this from a Lead Sled with about 100 lbs of lead in the cradle.

What you are doing is not far from a .700 Nitro Express. Those guns usually weigh in the 18-20 lb range. It would take 3 H&R Handi-Rifles to get close to that.

Go here and read up on this topic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

I don't know if you are serious about this, or you just don't understand what the level of pain you will experience will be.

I will tell you that there likely will be broken bones and trips to the Emergency Room,and I am not being factious here..

You said you are used to .458 Lott? Well this thing you are creating is going to be 3 times that.

Good luck, and be sure to get back to us.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, I know full well what I'm getting myself into. I seriously doubt it's enough to break bone... this is going to recoil with around the same energy as a .577 tyrannosaur (popular video of guys getting knocked literally on their ***) and that doesn't break bone and it recoils more than the 700 nitro. Keep in mind that I will be adding quite a bit of weight. My rig as of now weighs 10 lbs without extra weight. I also have a very thick limb saver. Like I stated before if it's too much I'll have a brake made.

Boolit Buddy
    So out of curiosity, I threw my dummy round with a COAL of 4 3/16" into the chamber. To my surprise, it fits! It has factory markeings on the barrel for 3" and I have done zero chamber work to this. So, a little confused I cut up a plastic shell and rigged up a very simple and slightly accurate chamber length gauge and I'll be darned it's chambered at 3.5"! I bought this gun on Gunbroker from a pawn shop haha what are the odds!? I'm gonna have my smith double check when he does the front sight, but for now it looks like that is checked off the box. This gun did have extra weight in its factory stock that someone obviously added, makes me wonder if this wasn't someone's 12 gauge from hell as the H&R was a popular choice.

Boolit Master
    This project sounds very interesting, but please very careful with it! I don't want any harm to come to you, so be very cautious! If you haven't ever seen this video, look it up on YouTube, but it's several fellow shooting a rifle called the T-Rex, it think it's 577 caliber. But it's for a good laugh!

Boolit Master
    Interesting stuff.

For me anyway, it is a younger mans game...

Very cool! & I hope it works out for you both for performance, as well as safety!

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be taking several safety precautions. First few firings will be on a sled via pull string...

Boolit Master
    Wow, wouldn’t want any part of that 577. But prolly could handle the 50 Barrett.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    I'll be taking several safety precautions. First few firings will be on a sled via pull string...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

signing on for the fun and games video

pictures are always welcome before the video
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Would it not be prudent to use single F black on the first shootings?
    Will kick but pressures should be low
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I'm following a load by someone who also built one. The only difference is his load called for H50BMG, but it is out of production so I am using something with a similar burn rate. My first load is going to be reduced 10% and I'll work up if pressure allows.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_03-24-08.29.51.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	238584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_03-24-08.24.21.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	238585

Some pictures

Banner Sponsor

Hi BigBore, looks like a great project.
    There is a tremendous amount of material to read on the subject.
    The 12gaFH started life in the AccurateReloading forums in the BigBore sub forum.
    I think that Ed Hubel tried some regular 3.5" 12ga plastic hulls in the H&R. He said that they worked fine and I think ran pressures up around 30k with them.
    You might look into getting a cast bullet mold cut. It sure would save on the cost of practice ammo.
    I have a pinfire 70 cal double barrel pistol. My first cases were made from turned down 50BMG brass, but I found that 16ga plastic hulls cut to 1.6" fit the barrels perfectly. The plastic holds the wad and bullet in place without the need of a crimp on the brass cases.

I'm sure that you're aware that the H&R action can not hold the pressures that the bolt action or falling block actions can. If you push it too hard, it will auto-open on you.

Keep us posted on the progress, and pics also, we need more pics

Boolit Buddy
    Yep definitely can't handle the massive loads ed got with his savage. I'd love to see a double barrel underlever in this caliber, I think that would be neat! Definitely need some cheaper plinking rounds lol if you could call them that. I got quoted $1.50-$2.00 per bullet from Lehigh. Those are definitely gonna be my go to performance round for hunting if I ever get the chance to use it.

Boolit Master
    I was watching a video, think it was leupold talking about what kind of rifle would be best to test scope shock on, if im remembering think it was a 375h&h ackley that was really light for that caliber. Think it knocked the guy out and he had blood vessel damage around the face.

Boolit Grand Master

H&R's were known to come with extra long chambers for whatever reason. The steel weight in the stock was added at the factory to all ultra slug hunters, so probably not a custom. I took that steel bar out, and cast the same thing out of lead, which adds a significant amount of weight. I also added it to the for end as mentioned earlier. This creates a decent balance. If you kept drilling holes in the stock and adding weight, it would become terribly rear heavy, and I doubt you would ever get to the 14 or so pounds the 577 T-rex rifles wight. Maybe 12 pounds. I doubt it will break bones, but injury is possible. I have no experience with large rifles, but have on one occasion caused myself to reconsider some slug loads after feeling a throbbing head pain the day after. Shoulders heal, brains don't. I don't have enough to spare.

I'm not going to deter you from doing this at all, but I think there is a reason you see the giant guns like this on the guides shoulder ready for backup, and not in the hunters hands.

If you make it to Minnesota, I'd love to shoot it. Just one shot, I'll try not to cry too much.

Banner Sponsor

Here's some pics of my 70cal underlever double pistol.
    I load 1oz Lee 12ga slugs in it with 50gn of FFg.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast