RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge from hell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Thanks!
    No problem, if you make some of your own let me know how it goes. I paid $10 a piece for the brass and I got 20 of them. It took around 3 months to get them as well. I'd like 20 more to have a lifetime supply

Boolit Buddy
    Also I can get dimensions for the primer pocket tomorrow as well if you need them

Boolit Master

I had something close to your idea but not quite as large. I came up with a new box of 28 gauge brass and thought it might be fun to build a rifle for it. First thing was to measure the brass and see how big the inside diameter was, .590". Next was to make a barrel with that size groove diameter ( done ). Sense this was planned as a black powder cartridge I was not looking at the strongest action available and someone gave me an old break open shotgun missing the barrel, good start. The barrel has now been mated to the action and using a standard 28 gauge shotgun reamer gave a good looking tapered throat. Working on a forearm now. next will be making a bullet mold. Too much worked backed up to just dive in and finish it.
    Way back when I was helping build 50 BMG rifle we were shooting 615 grain solid brass bullets at 3,400 FPS.

Boolit Buddy
    That's awesome! I am not the guy who came up with this idea though. I stumbled on it by researching a break action 50 bmg idea that I had (not a good idea looking back). I saw the original thread that birthed it and became absolutely enamored with the idea. I truly believe it to be one of the most versatile platforms ever created. I am curious on how your 28 gauge will turn out. Depending on what bullet weights you use, it ought to have a pretty dang good sectional density.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190322-083245_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	238437

Primer pocket dimensions.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    That's awesome! I am not the guy who came up with this idea though. I stumbled on it by researching a break action 50 bmg idea that I had (not a good idea looking back). I saw the original thread that birthed it and became absolutely enamored with the idea. I truly believe it to be one of the most versatile platforms ever created. I am curious on how your 28 gauge will turn out. Depending on what bullet weights you use, it ought to have a pretty dang good sectional density.
    The caliber is within 577 Snider dimensions and first thought was to use a 58 Mini but it's a little small. I have an old mold that I made years ago and is no longer used so will open it up. Thinking it might be around 500 grains. I'm getting to the age where recoil is a problem so it might start with light loads and lots of filler. The other build is a 32 S&W on a Martini cadet that should be a lot of fun in the back yard.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 03-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190322-102716_Adobe Acrobat.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	238450

Here is a more accurate print for dimensions. Had one of the engineers at work draw it up in a 3D program.

Boolit Master

My question isn't why you would build this monster but why would you do that to your shoulder? Man, my shoulder hurts just thinking about it! I totally understand the "because I can".
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    My question isn't why you would build this monster but why would you do that to your shoulder? Man, my shoulder hurts just thinking about it! I totally understand the "because I can".
    Lol I am a bit of a recoil junkie. My .458 lott isn't tickling my fancy anymore haha still love that rifle though.

Boolit Master
    Worst case you can design a carriage with elevation adjustment and hitch it up.

Boolit Master
    Or,build one in semi auto and mount it up on a Coast Guard cutter.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I love learning and this one is a winner. Neat when a plan comes together. Do you have lead in the stocks?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I love learning and this one is a winner. Neat when a plan comes together. Do you have lead in the stocks?
    Thanks, it sure is nice to fulfill a dream! And yes. I haven't as of yet. But what I will do is get some tubing, seal one end and fill it with molten lead. I will then drill into the stock and if it balances well, epoxy it into place. I looked at mercury recoil reducers, but it's debatable if the really work as described and you can't fly with them. The ultimate goal is to go hunt the black death one day. This, my 458 lott and if I get around to it the 20 gauge from hell will be going with me.

Boolit Grand Master

I got all the weight you can reasonably get into an Ultra slug hunter. I did as you say, cast a tube of lead to fit the stock hole. I also took a wood chisel, and cut out as much of the fore end as possible, then filled that with lead. It only got it up to about 10.5 pounds, 1-4x scope included. Recoil junkie or not, you will be needing at least a recoil shield to shoot this one. I got 770 grain slugs up to 1300 fps before I said enough. I dislike muzzle brakes, but it might be needed here. Are you sure on the brass dimensions? I never measured mine with a chamber cast, but my chamber is up around .815". That's a lot of slop with your listed .790". Speaking of cast, why not cast? Groove diameter on the USH usually runs a little big, at around .731". I've got one 770 grain mold that casts .732". I've also got one I had made for a hollow base, but as a solid would weigh just shy of 950 grains.

Boolit Bub
    Really cool project.

Looking at the print, it looks like it takes 209 primers but with that big thru hole the primers are going to see a ton of pressure without a small flash hole like you typically see in a rifle cartridge or modern inline black powder breech plug. I could be wrong, I'm no ammo engineer... Good luck!

Edit: I think a large rifle primer and a generous flash chamber would help too.
    Last edited by asp; 03-22-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I got all the weight you can reasonably get into an Ultra slug hunter. I did as you say, cast a tube of lead to fit the stock hole. I also took a wood chisel, and cut out as much of the fore end as possible, then filled that with lead. It only got it up to about 10.5 pounds, 1-4x scope included. Recoil junkie or not, you will be needing at least a recoil shield to shoot this one. I got 770 grain slugs up to 1300 fps before I said enough. I dislike muzzle brakes, but it might be needed here. Are you sure on the brass dimensions? I never measured mine with a chamber cast, but my chamber is up around .815". That's a lot of slop with your listed .790". Speaking of cast, why not cast? Groove diameter on the USH usually runs a little big, at around .731". I've got one 770 grain mold that casts .732". I've also got one I had made for a hollow base, but as a solid would weigh just shy of 950 grains.
    I am pretty sure measurements are accurate. It has a little slop, but it is not an alarming amount, same with magtech brass. I am a little embarrassed to admit, but I've never cast my own slugs before. I am a pretty big fan of monolithic bullets however and really like the design Lehigh has on their extreme defender/penetrator models. I am not against cast slugs though. As far as weight, I'll be drilling a few extra holes into the stock to add more weight.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, 209 primers. Since this has such a huge powder capacity, I'll be using blued dot as a starting powder with US 869 on top of that. This is how the 700 nitro is loaded as well to prevent hangfires.

Boolit Bub
    Interesting to use two powders like that.

Does the nitro 700 have a flash hole or is it straight through like yours?

Boolit Buddy
    That I do not know. There have been a few guy that have used this brass and it doesn't seem to be a problem

Here is a couple articles

http://www.us-shooter.com/700-nitro-...gauge-shotgun/

http://www.us-shooter.com/hr-ultra-s...uge-from-hell/

Boolit Master

Keep us up dated on results at least every three months.
    If we no longer hear from you after 4-5 months we might have to assume the gun won.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast