RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seeking help with .357 Mag lever action search

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 40-82 hiker View Post
    What specifically are the "tinkers", and how or what to use or do? Still thinking about Marlin as well, but I want to nail down what to look forward to if I get a Rossi.
    The Rossi 92s have almost a cult following in some circles , prolly cause they are a popular entry level cowboy action gun. The benefit for us is ther are a lot of tutorials on the net to smooth up the action and assorted after market sights springs and parts to help you make the best of them.
    On mine the tinkering was smoothing the action and replacing some springs , both sights and drilling and tapping a hole for the tang sight I did nothing to the sear or hammer other than light polishing on sides. You can use it right out of the box I shot a 150-200 jacketed bullets to smooth the bore a bit and also confirm it functions correctly then you can see friction points to help determine what you want to tinker with you don’t reshape you just lightly smooth the rough spots.
    In my limited experience it became one of the slicks little lever guns I have used.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    OP - I'm like you - I'm "changing things up" and am also looking for a 38/357 lever gun. To me, the Henry 's look and seem to function and shoot great (on videos) but the one thing I keep hearing is the "weight" of the rifle. My preference is a loading gate but the tubular magazine is not really a deal killer for me. I don't shoot competition - am a plinker - but I personally want something with a "old west flavor" to go with my handguns which are all SA. To me, the Rossi looks like a good value with a lot of potential fun for the buck. I'm also looking at Ubertis - 1866 land 1873. Personally, I want a carbine for the lighter weight and ease of tossing in a case and in the vehicle. That said . . . remember not to "over think" or you'll never decide on what you want. A lot of folks on here "slick up{ their rifles and pistols . . . that's a personal thing and all part of the hobby for them - nothing wrong with it. But as stated above . . . as an example . . . a Rossie will shoot just fine out of the box as will other makes - and any make can have an issue at times.

I'm sure you've been watching oodles of videos as we all do. Take a look at some of them which are tutorials - I've watched a number of them for the Rossi and the various Uberti models and I'm sure there are plenty for the other makes as well. Personally, I've never "slicked" any of my guns up over the last 55 years - just because they worked just fine for me.

I get a kick out of the mention of a "Rossi Cult" . . . mainly because if you read a lot of threads on here you'll see there are also "Marlin Cults", "Winchester Cults", etc. . . . not poking fun at it because I think it's a good thing. Those are the guys who can really answer the question when it comes to a certain make . . . issues, fixes, etc.

I'm older . . . the eyes are not good and all I'm interested in these days is being able to kill cans, clay pigeons on a board and maybe a woodchuck once in a while. Like a "car nut" . . . when I find the rifle I like, I'll put "go fasters" on it (new sights) but I'm sure the rifle will shoot just fine unless there is a major flaw.

Good luck in your search . . . a good thread and I'm sure there are a lot of us who are enjoying reading the thoughts of others. Hope you find the rifle for you and it is one you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of.

I bought a new Rossi 92, blued 20" in .357 a few years ago. Gun functioned perfectly out of the box with all manners of .38Spl and .357.

A few hundred lever motions while sitting in front of the TV smoothed the action up considerably.

As received from the factory, the ejector threw the brass quite a distance. A Century C-530 hardware store spring installed in place of the factory ejector spring worked two fold. It now drops the brass at my feet, and also reduced the force necessary to work the action.

I found a Rossi tang sight, no longer made, and had it drilled and tapped. My particular model came with a scope base, bases are also available from the NOE mold people. The round barrel models have factory drilled and tapped holes under the rear sight. It now has a scout scope on it and it's pretty accurate.

The price point of the Rossi compared to other models is such that even if you get the odd one that requires a little work, you're still ahead of the game financially, and can make it just the way you want.

You'll probably have to look to Gunbroker or Armslist to find one, but worth the search. Nothing else is as light or compact.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, for cowboy action shooting, "the national congress of old west shooters" will not accept a Henry because of the sideways rather than top discharge, and also because the Henry is not historically significant. Possibly the "Single action shooting society" might accept the Henry. Having said that, Henry does make a rifle that is accepted, but very pricey.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Froogal - I understand what you are saying about the Henrys and the CAS - agree that the Henrys (not original Henry rifle reproduction) are not "historically accurate in design" but that they are are still good rifles - agree wholeheartedly. I have a question though and am just curious because I don't shoot CAS, etc..

I'm searching for a 357 lever gun as well and did a lot of looking at the Marlyn 94 in 357 last night - I thought I watched a video by Hickock (may be mistaken) and I thought he mentioned that he used to shoot one in CAS? The Marlin 94 has a side ejector port as well - do organizations like CAS accept the Marlin 84?

I was glad I took the time to watch some videos on the Marlin 94 in 357 as I was impressed with what I saw of it and for what I'm looking for one for (mainly plinking fun) it certainly provides another good option.

Don't ever plan on shooting CAS - too old and decrepit but got to thinking about the side ejection of the Marlin 94 and just got me to wondering if they approved it or not? Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Thinking the Marlin side eject is permissible because it is essentially the same design as the ones Marlin made in the 19th century.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Froogal - I understand what you are saying about the Henrys and the CAS - agree that the Henrys (not original Henry rifle reproduction) are not "historically accurate in design" but that they are are still good rifles - agree wholeheartedly. I have a question though and am just curious because I don't shoot CAS, etc..

I'm searching for a 357 lever gun as well and did a lot of looking at the Marlyn 94 in 357 last night - I thought I watched a video by Hickock (may be mistaken) and I thought he mentioned that he used to shoot one in CAS? The Marlin 94 has a side ejector port as well - do organizations like CAS accept the Marlin 84?

I was glad I took the time to watch some videos on the Marlin 94 in 357 as I was impressed with what I saw of it and for what I'm looking for one for (mainly plinking fun) it certainly provides another good option.

Don't ever plan on shooting CAS - too old and decrepit but got to thinking about the side ejection of the Marlin 94 and just got me to wondering if they approved it or not? Thanks.
    There are two separate groups of cowboy action shooters. NCOWS, which I am a member of, and SASS. SASS has more relaxed rules and does have a category that accepts the Henry, and maybe the Marlin. Hickok45 may have participated in SASS. However, please do not accept what I said as gospel truth. I am relatively new to the whole thing and am still learning.

I will second the remlins. I bought one last year, the carbine version. I have no problems with it. Fit and finish is to be expected for the price. Shoots straight and goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12