WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking help with .357 Mag lever action search

seeking help with .357 Mag lever action search

I am trying to figure out WHICH .357 lever action rifle fits my needs, and this has become one frustrating experience, mostly due to my ignorance on the topic.

Basically I want to get a rifle with 20" bbl, good trigger pull (or can be worked to be good), and a history of being an accurate firearm w/o needing constant repair trips. Will put tang sight or receiver sight (preferred) on it for sure. May scope in the future.

I guess due to having my original '86 Win. I'm kind of partial to a '92 action, but that is not a requirement.

So, sights, trigger, and overall reputation is what will help me decide, and cost flat out. However, I can work on cost given some time.

New Remlins don't excite me, but they seem to be getting better (?).

Please give me some ideas/guidance on which rifles I can look on the lookout for (including WTB). I've read and read, and looked and looked, but live in a very under-served area with only one LGS.

Will consider .44 Mag. or .45 Colt, but really want .357 Mag.

Not Cowboy shooter. Just want accurate lever action that is problem free. Spine injuries getting worse, and wanting to shoot such rifles.

Suggestions from experience please?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

Henry Big Boy shoots great, nice trigger, not a cowboy gun, but fun to shoot at the range.

I have not had any problems with my three Rossi’s/Puma 92s

Boolit Master

Maybe You could find a old Browning '92. I had one long ago, can't remember if it was drilled & tapped for a receiver sight.

henry's have no provision for attaching any type of receiver sight.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Had a Henry Big Boy in 44 magnum/44 Special, but finally figured out that at 8.67 pounds it was too hefty for easy toting. Traded it in for a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum at 5 pounds carry weight. Trigger on the Rossi R92 was up there for me at about 5 /12 pounds, but put in a replacement trigger spring and it is down to below 4 pounds. Fairly easy to change out.

Boolit Master
    Love my 357 win trapper but I'd suggest a marlin in ss threaded for a moderator could be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Love my 357 win trapper but I'd suggest a marlin in ss threaded for a moderator could be a hoot.
    Which Moderator do you plan to put on the front of that 357?

BB

Banned
    I bought a new Marlin 1894C last year. It was built in 2018. I am very happy with it.

I have several old JM Marlins so I have something to compare this one to.

The new one is very accurate with iron sights. I shoot mild to wild. It has impressed me so far. And that is saying a lot as my favorite rifle is my 80's vintage JM Marlin in 357 mag.

I have posted a few threads on this forum about my initial impressions of the new Marlin along with some preliminary range results.

Last summer I was going to do more extensive accuracy testing of the new Marlin but life and the wet winter here got in the way.

I am in the process of mounting a new Leupold scope on it and I hope to have some results on paper soon.

If you look at a new Marlin 1894C take your time and do a thorough inspection before you start your paperwork.

I did and I am very happy with mine.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

They make nice sights for Henry's

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

Boolit Master

I'll second the M1894C Marlin. Had one since they first came out. One broken firing pin in all that time and it's digested thousands of .38 Specials and a pretty fair amount of .357s. With the 358429HP seated deep over 2400 it can be depended on for groups under 11/4" at 100 yards with scope. Sits by the back door in case of "varmint" intruders./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Maybe You could find a old Browning '92. I had one long ago, can't remember if it was drilled & tapped for a receiver sight.

henry's have no provision for attaching any type of receiver sight.

The .357 Browning B-92 is very rare/pricey (compared to other .357 leverguns), and was not factory prepped for a receiver or tang peepsight.

www.skinnersights.com makes/sells a top-mounted receiver sight for the Henry - but in order to achieve zero, the front sight will need to be replaced with one about 1/10" taller that the issue front sight, in order to accommodate the higher line-of-sight of the top-mounted receiver sight.

Most .357 leverguns will shoot within a minute of deer ear, but they're hunting rifles, not target grade guns.

I've had Browning B-92's, Rossi Model 92's and Marlin Model 1894's - YMMV, even though the Marlin's & the Henry's are slightly easier to take down for cleaning, I preferred the Rossi M-92 to the others because the actions were fairly smooth, they carry better/easier, and will give you the best value for your dollars than the others.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi 92 also put a marbles tang sight on it changed a few springs and slicked it up it shoots great , 2lb trigger but not the best choice for a scope.

Thanks to all input. I've spent the evening digesting this info with my computer, and have a lot to think about.

The marbles tang sight on a Rossi '92 is intriguing, and the spring mods for it. Like the sound of the results with the trigger. Reviews kind of up and down for quality from what I've read. Still looking...

I'm very glad to hear the Remlins are showing quality advances. Puts one high up on the list...

Browning B-92 and Chiappa very $$.

Henry, more expensive than the Remlins and Rossi, but not over the top. Seems people like 'em or hate 'em due to the tubular feed. Does not matter to me in that respect at all. Heavy? Yes!

As I said, lots to think about. Looking like Rossi, Marlin, or Henry just now.

Thanks again.

Boolit Buddy

My Rossi .357 is a 24" octogon stainless. I installed a Marbles tang and a Lyman globe. Very pleaded with the results.

Boolit Master

Marlin cowboy, just got another yesterday. That makes four of the "new" Marlins I've picked up. They all work very well and are accurate. Decent triggers and easily scoped or if you like, Skinner makes excellent peep sights. Bad experience with Henry, not a fan.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry Big Boy in .357. It is a good shooter. I like it, but I would like it a whole lot more if it had a loading gate.

Boolit Buddy
    Rossi's are hard to beat after you tinker with them a bit, I have two 357,and 44mag, Light fast handeling, and if you are a reloader and a bullet caster, they can be very accurate, not target grade ,but certainly less that 3" at 100yds. Mine both wear red dot sights, but 77yr old eyes need help.

Boolit Master
    Here are a few pics of the Marble Arms sight on the Rossi.
    I put a folding leaf rear sight on it to and set it for heavy full power loads and set the tang sight for light 130 rnfp loads. Tang sight is great for my old eyes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A09DFBF-002F-423D-9795-82A524A16E65.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	238457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90B964C9-AC4A-4DE4-9BE1-7DF7E5BDFB64.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	238458

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Here are a few pics of the Marble Arms sight on the Rossi.
    I put a folding leaf rear sight on it to and set it for heavy full power loads and set the tang sight for light 130 rnfp loads. Tang sight is great for my old eyes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A09DFBF-002F-423D-9795-82A524A16E65.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	238457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90B964C9-AC4A-4DE4-9BE1-7DF7E5BDFB64.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	238458
    Will put a Marbles tang sight on for sure. No doubt... Thanks

Still somewhat undecided, but had a hard night and day, and have not given much effort to this today.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Rossi's are hard to beat after you tinker with them a bit, I have two 357,and 44mag, Light fast handeling, and if you are a reloader and a bullet caster, they can be very accurate, not target grade ,but certainly less that 3" at 100yds. Mine both wear red dot sights, but 77yr old eyes need help.
    What specifically are the "tinkers", and how or what to use or do? Still thinking about Marlin as well, but I want to nail down what to look forward to if I get a Rossi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast