Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: New Air Gun Shooter Surprised at Power

Boolit Master

New Air Gun Shooter Surprised at Power

I've had my Weihrauch HW95 for several months now but haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like for a variety of reasons. I have been shooting several shots a week just to break it in but not enough to get comfortable with the artillery hold. Hard to break habits.

Yesterday I decided to see what I would have to do to shoot in my back yard(squirrels). I was in the shop so decided to see if a piece of ¼" plywood would stop a pellet. The pellet was a Crosman hollow point. I had bought online by mistake so I decided to use them up in the break-in. I leaned the approx. 3'X3' piece against a roll around tool box and stood back about 15 feet. Took one shot at an aiming dot. The pellet went thru the plywood and left a significant(easily felt) dent in one of the drawer fronts.

So now the plywood will be a backer for a box stuffed with old magazines and wadded paper, at least 8-10 inches.
    John
    W.TN

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yea they are amazing i bought one of the cheaper swiss air 22 cal. Just to give it a try i put a piece of plywood against my shead with box in front of it . Knew box wasn't doing anything but aim point shot to point of aim went through plywood 1/4 or 3/8 not sure and through old style hard asbestos shingle nice pretty hole and dimpled plywood on shed. I was shocked. Burried into a post deep enough you couldn't see the pellet. I was just using crossman pellets. You have to be careful around my neck of the woods shooting a bb or pellet gun in your yard will get you a free ride in a police cruiser.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Yea they are amazing i bought one of the cheaper swiss air 22 cal. Just to give it a try i put a piece of plywood against my shead with box in front of it . Knew box wasn't doing anything but aim point shot to point of aim went through plywood 1/4 or 3/8 not sure and through old style hard asbestos shingle nice pretty hole and dimpled plywood on shed. I was shocked. Burried into a post deep enough you couldn't see the pellet. I was just using crossman pellets. You have to be careful around my neck of the woods shooting a bb or pellet gun in your yard will get you a free ride in a police cruiser.
    My wife tells me the same thing but we are in a small town, I know the police chief(went to HS with my younger son) and his parents. Neighbors have also encouraged me to try to reduce the squirrel population.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    The HW 95 is an excellent accurate and powerful airgun, mines in .177 and it amazes me with it's flat shooting. I believe that it is faster than my TX200 or HW97.

Your lucky the police around here are a large dept. And they have no seance of humor about these kind of things. But i guess you can't really blame them.

Boolit Master
    I was amazed to find even a cheap Daisy 880 at 20 pumps can put a lead BB through the side of a galvanized steel garbage can.
    Lead pellets would flatten and steel BBs didn't have enough weight but Gamo lead BBs are just right.
    Normally I never use over 12 pumps, which gives the best accuracy with Crosman premier hollow point pellets. Best most accurate pellet is the Beeman coated wad cutter.

Moderator Emeritus

In my youth, when the public schools still boasted SHOPS with drill presses, table & radial saws, etc., etc., it was not uncommon to see class-mates with a small piece of Bakelite or similar which they had drilled pellet-sized holes in. They'd clamp this piece to a drill press table, and then drill a wee hole in the center of an air-rifle pellet which they had dropped in. After class, they'd insert a Zippo cigarette lighter flint in the hole. While I never witnessed the result -- e.g., a shot -- enough reliable fellows voiced the modified pellet would actually exceed the "punch" of "a twenty-two". I know not what affect the flint had on accuracy, but can imagine it added to its performance. (We're "talking" 1950s springers and pump rifles)
    geo

At those speeds, if the flint strikes a solid object you get a nice shower of sparks.

Don't ask me how I know please.

Also pretty easy to take a crossman .22 hollow point pellet and glue a steel (copper plated) BB into the hole. Add a drop of super glue and you have pretty good armor piercing loads. You can get a whole edumacation off Youtube.

As a kid in high school machine shop my speciality was cannons. Made some pretty nice ones wish i still had some. Others were making pot pipes but i did cannons. School officials came into shop one day and took a interest in my project the more they looked the more interest they showed. After finally figuring out what it was they instructed the teacher to have it cut in half and destroy it i was very upset it was the best one yet with a 2 1/2 inch bore. Sorry i got off topic.