Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Sloppy Joes

Boolit Master

Sloppy Joes

We decided to have sloppy joes last night, but decided to try something a little different.

We mixed hamburger and Italian sausage about half and half. (about a pound or so)

Instead of using tomato sauce, we used Italian spaghetti sauce with green peppers and mushroom.

To that was added a half pound sweet white onion.

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup flour

2 Tablespoons sugar (may be just a little too much, sweeten to taste, but not necessary)

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon paprika

2 or 3 tablespoons bell pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or minced

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

1 cup ketchup

1 teaspoon mustard

Saute mix and add to browned meat
    simmer in iron skillet until thickened

serve over homemade biscuits

Boolit Master
    Had sloppy joes Monday. I gots to have coleslaw with my sloppy joes! It’s the only way I’ve ever had em
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Fast ronnie,

Reads like a good recipe & I think I will try it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing it!

Poppy42,

Funny, but we had sloppy joes on Monday too. I like coleslaw on mine as well, but will throw a slice of cheese or some grated cheese on them too if I don't have the 'slaw.

For everyone,

One thing I would like to mention as an alternative recipe is easy, & it is just to add taco seasoning to the regular sloppy joe mixture/recipe. If you use those packets from the store, it is about 1/2 package at the end of the browning of the meat, then continue as normal. ( It would likely be about 2 TBspns if you measure, as a guess.)

Then you can add what fixins ya like to add to a taco, on the top, if ya want. Pretty tasty too, in our opinions!

We call them, when made that way, "Sloppy Joses", since "Jose" is "Joe", in Spanish...
    ... LOL

Anyway, Thanks again for the recipe, fast ronnie, & I will post a review when we try it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

In Remembrance

fast ronnie, your recipe sounds unique. I have never heard of some of your ingredients being put in sloppy joes, hope it turned out good for you.
    I make our sloppy joe a little on the simple side, well a lot on the simple side. Brown up some ground beef and drain of the fat the add catsup and dark brown sugar until I get the consistency and taste I want. The wife has sloppy joes and I have coneys.

One of my favorite comfort foods. I make my own wheat bread and it works perfect for SJ's!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    I 2nd Cole slaw! .

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If someone wants a fast, easy barbecue sauce for use with pulled pork, chicken, venison or beef or links is the following:

Barbecue Sauce Easy

1 1/2 cup Catsup (I find cheap brands like 2/$1 I keep in the pantry for this)
    1/2 cup brown Sugar
    3 tbs cider Vinegar
    1/2 cup Water
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbs Garlic powder or 3 small minced cloves
    1 tsp mustard
    1 tbs Onion flakes, powder or minced fresh
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    (Add some liquid smoke, if you want)

Mix it all up and bring to a slow boil and then let simmer for 20-30 minutes. I'm +1 with the slaw as a side. I like a Spanish slaw with pickles, onions, bell peppers and sliced stuffed olives, or my Sauerkraut salad, personally.
    When I kill a deer or hog, I'll get the last of the meat off the bones by roasting it--low and slow -- then the meat slides off the bones, easily. Mix with the barbecue sauce and package for the freezer for quick sandwiches. (On toast, for me)
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-22-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Original 1940's Sloppy Joe's Recipe

1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 small onion chopped
    1 1/2 cups Heinz Ketchup
    2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire

Directions:
    Brown the ground beef and drain the excess grease ,
    Add onion and salt to beef , simmer 10 minutes until onions are clear.
    Reduce heat, add all remaining ingredients , stir well , taste and adjust ingredients to taste .
    Cover and simmer on low 25 to 30 mins. Stir occasionally .
    Serve on toasted bread , Texas Toast or hamburger buns.

For those who need a conventional sloppy Joe fix here's mine....

I'm sure the Italian version are good and plan to try them with some good Italian sausage .
    Thanks for posting it Ronnie ! I've never met a sloppy joe I didn't like .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Simple sloppy joe... and everyone who has tried it loves it.

2 pounds ground beef browned and fat drained
    1 chopped onion cooked with the ground beef
    black pepper to taste, I use a LOT but I love pepper
    1 can tomato soup
    1/2 soup can of ketchup(I eyeball this and squirt it in the pan)
    1/8 to 1/4 cup white sugar to cut the tomato acid, add to taste, some like sweeter...

Brown beef with the onion, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat stirring occasionally. Serve on a squishy white bread bun with dill pickles. Pile of potato chips and baked beans!

This is a recipe from my childhood and comes from Dari King in Redwood Falls Minnesota where they still serve it. Last time I had it there it was $2 for one, 3 for $5... cheap eats and tasty!

Banned

im lazier yet. A can of generic Manwich with some added durkey dried onion (to me it tastes better then brand name Manwich) and some burger. never thought to try cole slaw on one. Love it on a pulled pork sandwich.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-24-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm learning to cook as I can't have some foods like onions in any form or they trigger headaches/migraines. You would be surprised how many prepared foods have some sort of onions in them. Gonna try some of these recipients. My girlfriend got my to try an Insta pot. So far I am doing pretty good with it even making a version of hamburger helper in it. Was edible.