Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPCR Shoot in Lodi Wi May 9 thru 12

Boolit Man

BPCR Shoot in Lodi Wi May 9 thru 12

Hello, can anyone tell me about this upcoming BPCR shoot this May in Lodi Wi. I am interested in this type of competition. What are the requirements ? Are there any prerequisites. I have been a competitive trapshooter mostly and I have shot some CMP service rifle matches, The BPCR games are new for me. Any help getting me started would be appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You'll need a black powder cartridge rifle , loaded with black powder and a bullet capable of shooting to 1000 yards, along with cross sticks, or a wrist rest, shooting mat, spotting scope etc.
    The first 2 days are the Creedmoor cup match, you'll shoot sighters and 10 rounds for score with no spotting help after the first round hits paper, at 800,900 and 1000 yards.
    The next two days are a regular creedmoor match where you will shoot sighters, and 10 rounds for score with the aid of a spotter at 8,900 and 1000 yards.
    Targets are the NRA long range target. You'll alternate between shooting and pulling targets.
    The range at Lodi is a nice range, and the guys that run the match Cliff and Mark are good folks to be around.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man

BPCR in Lodi Wi

Hi Don, Thank you for your reply. As for the equipment needed I think we have a capable rifle, that is a Shiloh Sharps Sporter #1 in 45/70 with a 32 inch barrel,standard chamber with a 7 degree throat, factory blade front site with a early MVA tang sight (non soule type), I'm thinking of getting a Lee Shaver soule and one of his front sights before Lodi. I am starting to load black powder cartridges for it. It looks like the only item I will need is the cross sticks and to learn how to use them. I see in the Single Shot Exchange that Cliff's email is listed as the contact for that shoot. I will email him. Good Shooting. Tony

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You'll want to replace that tang sight with a long range, either the regular or the buffalo soul from MVA. All you'll have to do is swap the sights in the base. That front sight would do well to be replaced with either a Baldwin or a Distant Thunder. You'll want to be working with a 525-535 grain bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Cliff at Lodi wants your registration in 30 days advance so it's crunch time for may!

Boolit Man

BPCR in Lodi Wi

Hi Boomer, Thanks for the heads up. I will be on that. Shoot Well. Tony

Boolit Master
    There are several of us that camp at the range or you can stay at one of the area motels. We also meet at the same restaurant for dinner. Get to the range about 4:30 or so to get details on timing. For late night activities at the range, BYOB.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    New rib,

Starting your first 1000 yr match with the American Cup is a REALLY tough initiation. But go for it! We will tell you what to look for in spotting.

What is your load? Get a real solid zero at some co.mon distance like 200 yes, and we will get you on paper pretty quick if your load holds up to the distance. .45-70s can be ideal. They can also be very tough to make work out to 1000. They are easier with paper patched bullets. But bring it and we will do our best to get you on target.

You definitely will want a soule type sight. Another MVA long range is ideal. Aperture up front.

Boolit Man

Bpcr at Lodi

Hi Brent, Thank you for responding. Yes I expect this long range bpcr to be very challenging, and to be honest I currently only shoot 100 yards. I am jumping into the deep end of the pool without taking a swimming lesson. Everyone needs to start somewhere. I don't have a definite loads yet. I'm going to have to pick up the pace. As for bullets it will either be the .442 baco elliptical or the .443 baco money. They weigh 530 and 540 ,for the Money, for powder I have OR 1.5 and 2f or Swiss 1.5. I am leaning towards the OE simply because I am just learning this game. From what I have learned here, I will get a MVA lr sight, I m thinking of the buffalo version. Shoot Well. Tony
    Last edited by newrib; 03-24-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Try BACO, JIM443530e.

I recommend Swiss 1.5 and the standard long range soule.

Boolit Man

Bpcr at Lodi

Hi Brent, I have the JIM442525E and the JIM443540M that that Were originally purchased for my Pedersoli Gibbs rifle. I cast with 20 to 1 and wrap with BACO paper. A .060 Walters vegetable wad between the powder and bullet. I have noticed with the Gibbs rifle that Swiss 1.5f has a little more punch and is a little cleaner. Please forgive my ignorance but I must ask why the MVA standard soule and not the buffalo version ? Best Regards. Tony

Boolit Master
    The buffalo costs more, in 20 yrs of bp rifles (11 yrs of Creedmoor) I could have used it for exactly 7 shots on one relay, when you do need it, it will take your cheek clear over or off the stock, and it looks ugly as all get out.

But those are just my opinions.

Boolit Man

Bpcr at Lodi

Thank You Brent ! Actually I was thinking if I need that much windage I really don't need to be shooting and I didn't think about the check weld until now. Shoot Well Sir ! Tony

Boolit Master
    The one time I could have used it , I just aimed at the target 2 positions to my right. It worked.

Banned

newrib, i heartily can recommend the lee shaver super grade sight rear tang (it comes with the very necessary hadley eye cup) and 17a spirit globe front. the Jim443530E is a Killer .45-70 slick!!

Boolit Man

Bpcr at Lodi

Hi RFD, Thank You For your recommendation. I will have to make a decision soon. I really want to participate in this event. Especially since it's basically in my back yard only 85 miles from home. Shoot Well ! Tony

Boolit Mold
    Just wondering how the shoot went? I am new BCPR shooter and hopefully will be able to attend next year. I think Lodi is the only place in the state that does anything like this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    FWIW,
    Lodi is indeed the only range with "out to 1000"yards.
    It is not the only BPCR in WI.
    1. We run 2,3,600yds BPCR at Wood County R&P Club, Wisconsin Rapids,WI.
    Gong, and maybe a Midrange Match next year.
    2. There are 2,3,4,500yds gong matches at Lincoln gun club,
    just outside of Merrill,WI
    3.And the Sheboygan Club runs 200 yds BPCR matches a couple times a yr.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info! I’d love to attend. Time to get loading...

Boolit Man

BPCR in Lodi Wi

srkmarine1101

The Shoot in Lodi in May was great ! All of the participants are the best ! I also attended the shoot at Lodi in September, although we only shot for one day due to rain, that shoot was also a great time. I did learn alot at these events. You can gain much knowledge about BPCR by reading the posts here at Cast Boolits Forum and posting your questions here. Two valuable lesson's I learned were to practice your position be it prone or sitting, and to practice setting up your equipment (rifle, cross sticks, mat, wiping rod, ammo, timer, ect.) so that you can use your time on the line efficiently. Hope to see you at the next shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast