Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: a new How 1500 mini action .222 heavy barrel followed me home today

Boolit Bub

Red face a new How 1500 mini action .222 heavy barrel followed me home today

I have been learning to cast with a CZ 527 lux .22 Hornet (.223 bore/1:16 twist) , and was keeping an eye out for a .221 Fireball rather than ream it ti K-Hornet. BUT, a new HOWA mini action .222 with a 20" heavy barrel appeared at an excellent price, so I bought it!

Now to get it fully rigged and shootable! My .22 Hornet is sporting an older Leupold compact 3X9AO in Warne rings.

I am happy with the hornet combo, but am thinking the new .222 might like a 4X12AO - maybe a Burris - if I can find one rather than the 3X9AO off the hornet - and I hate to leave the Hornet naked. Also have to come up with rings. I am looking at the DNZ line, but would have to lock in the scope first to make a proper height selection.

As far as casting goes, I have the NOE 225-46 WFN mold for the Hornet and have daydreamed of hollow pointing some with a Forster HP'er. But loading will have to wait until sight are on the .222.

Any and all comment or suggestions from the onlookers are appreciated and considered!

Thanks

Boolit Master

Keep us posted on the Howa... I sold my 222 years ago in a passion of velocity and have missed it dearly. Been eyeing the Howa mini action for a month or two now and just need to commit.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who just bought a Howa Mini action, in a heavy barrel in 6.5 Grendel, and it is a tack driver

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Is the .222 a catalog item now? A .22 centerfire bolt action properly scaled to the cartridge is a real joy. I have a Zastava 85 .223 and love it. I feed it 18 grains Reloder 7 under a 55 grain Hornady, a .222 level load.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

For some reason Howa 1500 actions get little love. Great to build on.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I think people really like them, respect them, and desire them.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Im a big Howa fan. My 1500 began life as an '06, currently wears a stainless .257 Roberts tube.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

One of my bros had a WV 20" flyweight barrel 30-06 that was sub moa for the first three shots most every time. I can't believe I've never owned a Howa/Weatherby Vanguard/S&W/Mossberg one of these. I've never heard a bad word about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have built several accurate rifles on the Howa 1500 action. In my opinion they are a IMPROVED Rem. 700 action. Unlike the Remington 700, the Howa recoil lug is a solid part of the receiver similar to the Win. Model 70 rifle. The Remington has a thinner lug sandwiched between the barrel and receiver. The Howa has a Sako style extractor that is a big improvement over the Rem. 700 tiny extractor that was famous for pulling over the case rim if you had a sticky cartridge case. Howa barrels also does not take any backseat to Rem. for accuracy out of a factory barrel.

Boolit Master
    I always liked Howa, never handled one but they used to sell reasonable priced actions for building your own. That always impressed me and now that cute little action in left hand could be more than I could endure!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    You'll love that little triple duce, I have a 722 Rem with a cheap tasco scope, and it amazing how accurate it is.

Boolit Master

Where can I find one of these barreled actions and does Boyds have stocks for them? I'd like to put together a rifle in .223 Rem.

Boolit Master

I finally got my Howa mini action in 222 Rem a few weeks ago off GB for less than $400 shipped and transferred. The Nikon 4-12x 40 really looks big on it and kinda makes me want to look for a more compact scope. Thought about a 6x fixed scope, but haven’t found the right deal yet.

Loaded up some 52 grain HPBT with BL-C(2) in 4 increments of charges last night. Have to wait on clearance from my eye doctor before heading to the range. (Cataract surgery)
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )