Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Found some ch swage dies

Boolit Buddy

Found some ch swage dies

I came across a set of ch swage dies (I believe 101s) that i think i got a great deal on. Paid $89 shipped for them. Already tested them out using some annealed 380 cases and lee 356-124 as a core. Untrimmed brass gave me a 179.6gr hollow point. I need to play around with this some more and maybe order a draw die for the cases(380 and 9mm). Did I get a good deal?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

You got a good deal, but I hate to see good tools that someone has used pliers on. It's a pet peeve of mine. Use the right tool for the job, darn it! I know you didn't do it, and won't, right?

If you use a lighter bullet for the core, you can get a bullet more in line with what you're used to, if those are .38's. And remember when you load them, that they're longer than a regular cup and core bullet, so you have to take into account the reduced volume of the case. My rule of thumb is I use starting data for the next bullet weight up, and then work up my load.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    You got a good deal, but I hate to see good tools that someone has used pliers on. It's a pet peeve of mine. Use the right tool for the job, darn it! I know you didn't do it, and won't, right?

If you use a lighter bullet for the core, you can get a bullet more in line with what you're used to, if those are .38's. And remember when you load them, that they're longer than a regular cup and core bullet, so you have to take into account the reduced volume of the case. My rule of thumb is I use starting data for the next bullet weight up, and then work up my load.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Correct I would never use improper tools especially for something like this. These 180gr bullets will be perfect for my 357 maxies. I do plan on getting smaller molds and maybe ever a core mold or two but I'm on a very tight budget due to my wife just being diagnosed with a chronic illness and me not being able to find the best work after a work injury (still waiting for my lawsuit to finalize) so I stick to watching ebay especially while working my 3rd shift job. Thank you for the tips Fred! This bullet is actually shorter than the speer 180gr hotcor I currently load for my maxies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Buddy
    Great stuff, wish I could find a CH 101 30cal finish die. Got a good core seater, just need one to turn the ogive. Sigh!!

That's why I would never loan out any of my swage dies. Guaranteed, some idiot will get a bullet stuck and then whale on it with a hammer.

I have a few CH4D#101 sets myself. 312, 357 and 429. I am not a fan of reloading press die sets nor am I a fan of blunt-nosed bullets but they certainly were cheap. The 429 was my first swage set from 2001, long before I got into RCE's product line. I used 40SW brass as jackets. Since then, I always use a larger starting brass and draw down. On a reloading press, the finished bullet had an egg shape to it.