WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 magnum single action: besides a Ruger...what is there?

Boolit Buddy

44 magnum single action: besides a Ruger...what is there?

Having been a ruger wheelgun fan, ive considered broadening my horizons a bit.

Who else makes a good rugged 44 SA?

Magnum Research. But it's basically the same thing. Hawes made one, so did Seville. And of course Freedom Arms. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Boolit Buddy

Freedom arms looks good, but I like Rugers lockwork. I'd like to compare them side by side.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the Italian firms, Pietta or Uberti, makes a 7 1/2'er that got good reviews in Gun Report.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have 3 Rugers and love all of them.
    However, my next revolver will be a Magnum Research.
    They may look similar to Rugers, but they are much more refined. When talking about workmanship, fit and finish, tolerances etc., they're closer to FA than they are to Rugers.
    I want one in .500 Linebaugh.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Look for a used Virginian Dragoon.
    Well made, accurate, durable and able to handle any reasonable handload.

There's a whole slew of 44 magnum "spin offs" from the days of the Virginian Dragoon. Some are only vaguely related, like the Mossberg Abilene. Seville went by a couple names. There is a collector of these that wrote a nice online article....

http://www.singleactions.com/Seville.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of Rugers and one Freedom Arms. The freedom Arms makes the Rugers seem like seem like they were built in someones garage with a bunch of dull files and a hammer. I have never hurt a Ruger but there is a real difference between the two.

Boolit Buddy

Perused the Ruger site today,and they have a few i'd like to try out.
    The unfluted SS 44 with the 5.5" barrel looks pretty good for a working gun.
    Though I have to admit, these days a blued gun looks better to me. I used to insist on stainless, but with the cerakote industry popping up, its possible to have both a low profile finish and some weatherproofing. Though my old SBH did not start dissolving in the snow and rain

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    Freedom arms looks good, but I like Rugers lockwork. I'd like to compare them side by side.
    Ruger is solid utilitarianism. Freedoms are what happens when a master machinist gets into silhouette competition and then decides to show off. Best way I can describe it is that if you were a caveman who'd never seen a firearm before, there's a good chance you'd swear it was carved from a single piece of whatever mysterious substance it was carved from, because you'll have a very hard time finding ANY play in it.

The Ruger with it's transfer bar innards is probably a better gun if you plan to load all six holes. The Freedoms are an enhanced Peacemaker as far as that goes, and the same carry rules apply.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I remember maybe 40 years ago or so there was a handgun made in America the was an almost exact clone of the SBH. Maybe Mossberg made it. It was so close that Ruger sued and won easily, and the offending company ceased production. If you can find one of those you'll have a very well made revolver. They weren't too expensive at the time, maybe about half the price of the SBH.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

In Remembrance

I have to agree with 375supermag on the Virginian Dragoon. If you happen upon a good clean used one do not rule it out, I have a 7 1/2" .44 mag and a 5" .45 Colt, love them both.

Banner Sponsor

I've had two Sevilles, one in 357 Max and one in 45 Colt, they both were extremely smooth and tight. They show up on Gunbroker from time to time, you just have to check regularly.

The BFRs are probably the strongest single action in production. They are way heavier than a Ruger is, they also weigh more than a Ruger I have six BFRs, the only one I would trade away is the 45/454/410. I may have a 460 cylinder made for it instead...

Boolit Master

I have 2 Ruger SBH's; a stk Blue 7 1/2" & a STS 5 1/2" cut down from a 10 1/2", to get the heavier bbl & longer ejector rod.

I've owned a 7 1/2" Virginia Dragoon in .44Mag, good gun. Wish I still had it.

Had a Freedom Arms .454 7 1/2" for a number of years. A really great gun. But a pain in the "tokhas" as far as keeping it clean enough to shoot more then 50rds between cleaning's. The rim recesses had to be cleaned almost every other cylinder. And the brass had to be trimmed to minimum so you could crimp Their Own Jacketed bullets at the top of the crimp "groove".
    Maybe they are different in .44Mag. My experience was 30yrs ago.

After 3yrs & 2000rds, I decided that since I wasn't ever going fishing in Alaska that I didn't need it. If I ever needed that much Handgun, I'd use a Rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have shot a friends Herter’s 44 magnum. I believe the grip frame is big enough for King Kong but it was comfortable.

I have a wonderful Colt New Frontier 7 1/2” 44 special of which I have shot the Kieth loads of 2400, 245 grain and pushing about 1150-1200 FPS. I would think that would kill anything on this continent. Truth be told, I fire about 98% of the skeeter load at 950 FPS. Much more enjoyable and dings steel plate at 100 yards with ease.

Boolit Buddy

Lots of great info, thanks guys!
    The freedom arms wheelguns do not have a transfer bar? As nice as they appear, that tears it for me, I want toload 6 rounds.

Sounds like I stick with my Ruger patronage!

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe it's time for a custom, built on the Ruger frame. Linebaugh or Bowen. Hamilton Bowen makes a stainless 5 shot fluted .50 Special that just knocks my socks off. I had saved a couple of pics of it:

Currently he shows a 5 shot 44 magnum New Vaquero, a 5 shot 45 Colt New Model Flattop, and a 5 shot weight relieved .50 GI caliber New Vaquero. I am really liking what he is doing with the medium framed Rugers, putting them up there with the full size SBH and BH revolvers, albeit with 5 shot cylinders.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-21-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    It was mentioned earlier already, but I got a inexpensive 1873 model Pietta revolver in 44 magnum. The hand grip is too small for the powerful caliber, but it does well if I am wearing shooting gloves though. Otherwise your middle finger gets all beat up by the trigger guard. it is nice with 44 specials though. I would not mind finding a set of larger grips for it though.

Boolit Master
    Man I love that Bowen front sight, beautiful gun.

There is a big difference between New Model Rugers and the old 3 screw guns too. There is no doubt the expensive clones that came off Rugers are more refined guns. That is apples and oranges. I don't buy New Model Rugers or imported clones of Rugers or Colts. I still think Ruger is a better gun than any assembly line
    Imported clone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast