Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Marauder FT lothar

Boolit Master

Marauder FT lothar

As they say over at GTA, I have gone to the darkside.
    Bought my first marauder 2years ago along with a air venturi pump.
    The rifle is awesome, but it takes a lot of air to blast out 25 caliber pellets.

I saved and bought an air tank, getting to the fire station when it was convenient for the great local firefighters to fill it started to get to be a pain, so now a compressor sits in my man lair.

Now I have ordered the rifle I should have started with, the regulated 177 caliber marauder with the upgrade of Lothar Walther barrel.

Claims by Pryamyd air are up to 80 shots per fill on the regulator. This rifle would probably need about half as many pumps per shot as the .25, if it was my first PCP, the air tank and compressor might have been farther down the road.

The springers around here are going to get thinned out. The Diana 52 air king is awesome. but cocking it threatens to tear out my rotator cuff.
    RWS m94 .22 is a solid airgun, not so hard to cock, but likely to end up elsewhere.
    The good ole Anschutz m250? recoilless and Benjamin 342 multipumper will stay.

Of course it's backordered! Hoping to see the long box about the end of March.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on your new dark side tool. I have a P-rod and it’s a great little carbine. I do wish it had a bigger tank and regulator but it is handy for what it is.

Boolit Master

No new air gun yet. The nice lady on the phone at Pyramyd air thought I should have it by yesterday.
    It was not in stock when the order was placed, but was expected to arrive at Pyramyd March 25.

I checked on the 25th, the projected date of arrival at Pyramyd was listed as April 13.

Time will tell if the new date is any better than the old date.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Welcome to PA.... The projected date gets moved out 2 weeks at a time.... sometimes for months....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Gen 1 177 Marauder. Can I buy a new regulator?

Just wondering if anyone had experience - there are a few regulators (OEM too).

Boolit Master

Got an email from Pyramyd, my new bb gun should be here Friday.
    Weird how Pyramyd schedules incoming shipments in two week increments. I suppose it's easy for them but not too reassuring to the customer.
    Other than the projected arrival date for backordered items, Pyramyd is good to deal with. Sure you can buy it all cheaper somewhere, but good service aint free.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Rifle arrived today. I was pleased the receiver has a picatinny rail top, my 2 year old synthetic marauder has a 3/8" rail.
    I had planned to put a leupold 3-9 airgun scope on the rifle. That scope has a nice set of Millet 3/8 rings on it.
    But instead put a bug buster that had UTG rings for picatinny rail mount. The bug buster is nice and short and mounted in a good position for shooting prone.

I slung up and fired at 30 yards, it took about 13 rounds to get it sighted in. Center.

After the first group of five printed about 1/4 " wide and 3/4" tall I realized that I was lacking cheek weld and adjusted the cheek piece up for support. Top left.

Fired with cheek piece up. Bottom left.

My hands were slipping on the stock, so I removed the sling, and attached a bipod, also went in for lunch.
    Hour and a half later the wind was up to 6 mph from 3 o'clock fired two groups. Top and bottom right.

Seemed like it was pretty close, so I started on the gongs out back, Some are 80 yards out. The second mill dot was just a little high, so using the top of the dot and some Kentucky windage for the breeze made about 40% hits on a 1 5/8 wide X 2" tall gong for 15 or so shots. That average includes the first four misses getting an idea of how high to hold.

Then I fired at random items I could see out there, leaves, piles of deer poop and such just to get an idea of how high above my 30 zero the pellet flies.

I did not count how many rounds I fired but when the gauge read 1500 lbs it was hitting about 3 inches lower out at 80yards so I put the rife away. I'm guessing it was at least 60 rounds on one fill.

When I first tried to load the mag, it had snap as I wound the cover around to the load position. Then there was no spring tension for the mag to work properly, a call to Pyramyd got a new mag on the way. Every round fired today was single loaded into the mag, at least the broken mag made a useable single shot tray.

I only fired Crossman premier heavy pellets from the cardboard box.

I'm pretty happy with how it shoots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT lothar target.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	239296
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Fired 50 yesterday, and early today fired to avoid wind, 60 shots over the chronograph. The sun was low and occasionally peeking out of the clouds.

The first 20 shots chronographed:
    Average velocity 872
    High...……………..877.1
    Low...………………867
    Extreme spread10.1
    Standard dev...2.8
    Average dev....2.3

Another 10 fired from shot 27-36.
    A...870.4
    H...873.4
    L...867.6
    ES..5.8
    SD..1.8
    AD..1.4

First shot to fly at a velocity less than the lows of the two averages, was shot #44- 865.7 fps.
    #45- 867.3 fps
    #46- 869.8
    #47- 862.9
    #48- 864.2
    #49- 867.9
    #50- 861.4 gauge read 1800 psi
    #51- 863.5
    #52- 857.4
    #53- 856.8
    #54- 854.0
    #55- 855.5 1750 psi
    #56- 851.7
    #57- 851.5
    #58- 844.5
    #59- 846.0
    #60- 839.4 1600 psi.

I started shooting with the gauge reading 3000 psi. With the regulator set as it is, The rifle is good for 50 shots as far as a person dares to shoot it.

Adjusting the regulator would bring the shot count up to the advertised 80 per fill, but I wonder how much velocity drop off is considered okay by the marketing arm of Crosman.

What I want this rifle to do is be legal for field target competition. Right off the top of my head, I do not know the max FPE allowed. Once I set the regulator there, I plan to keep it there and use for starlings, ground squirrels, and the odd rat.

There are no field target shoots near me, but my econo car gets up to 37 mpg, and being retired, it can work.

Here's my first ten this morning fired at 80 yards,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ten at 80.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	239423
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper