Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Pathfinder 22 magnum. Opinions?

Boolit Master

Charter Arms Pathfinder 22 magnum. Opinions?

Lady friend (60 years old) is interested in owning a gun for home defense. Her health is good, wits are sharp but small hands and overall thin build dictates a gun that's easy to handle and doesn't weigh a ton. 22 magnum is all the recoil she's ready for at this point (I assume after some training and range time she'll trade up).
    At $350-400 Pathfinder looks like a good deal. If you have one, what to you think of it?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't currently own one, but back in the 80's I used one in 22 LR to help teach my daughters to shoot. It was a little rough, and the DA was pretty heavy, but it was quite accurate. I would assume the 22 magnum version is pretty much the same. I would think it be pretty "much of a muchness".
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    May want to just stick with the .22 LR version. Most .22 mag ammo is varmint stuff with bullets that may not penetrate a bad guy too well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Most .22 mag ammo is varmint stuff with bullets that may not penetrate a bad guy too well.
    Hadn't thought about that

Boolit Master
    Will take a .22 Magnum over a LR for defense any time... There are lots of different loads now so you can use the bullet you like the penetration vs. expansion characteristics of. Most of the older 40 grain HP ammo doesn't expand very much if at all from handguns let alone snubbies...

Would also look at the Ruger LCRX3" along with the CA. A little more money but the trigger pull may be a lot better. Like the above poster I had a older CA 3" .22 LR that was a very nice gun...but did a have a heavy DA pull...

Bob

Boolit Master
    I do like the LCR just wish the barrel was a bit longer, this would be for home defense only. I actually hadn't even thought about Charter until I found out they offered 4" barrels.

Ruger SP 101 in 22, more expensive, about 600.00 but very good handgun for women with smaller hands. i use it when introducing people to hand guns. only comes in 22 LR but makes the transition over to 38 special later very easy. just trade up to SP 101 in 38/357 and all remains the same except 5 rounds vs 9. if you do a trigger job on the 38/357 it is smooth as silk and very ergonomic. the 22 version does have a stiffer trigger pull and i havent found a spring combo that works yet to lighten it up to match the 38/357 after the work over, and stay reliable. if you watch gun broker though i bought a 22lr sp101 for 425.00 just last winter. hope this helps
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

Boolit Master
    If you want to compare 22lr to 22mag go here
    http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
    Main difference in 2” barrels is muzzle blast

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    At chronoed 1925fps out of a Contender carbine and Henry lever they blow thru a 2 liter bottle of water with nice sized chunks punching thru the cardboard behind it, to see how they act. Im assuming at the 1200-1400fps out of a 4-6.5" barrels (1365fps in 6.5" Single Six) they would act more like controlled expansion bullet, i will have to try that this weekend. Will let you know how they act. Might 7-10 days before get back from the woods.. I was using the W-W 40gr HP and CCI 40gr hp's. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    No exposure to Pathfinder, but to let you know that Hornady markets a Critical Defense load in 22 WMR. Claims its for handgun barrel lengths.

Boolit Master
    Most .22 mag ammo is varmint stuff with bullets that may not penetrate a bad guy too well.
    Perhaps, but the reduced velocity from a shortgun may result in more controlled expansion.

Banned

IMHO, i would let the lady get started with .22lr and not .22mag - far better choices of guns and ammo, more readily available everywhere and cheaper, a better introduction to firearms, even less recoil and "boom" factor, and as far as the "stopping power" (or whatever) between .22lr and .22mag, that's a subjective arguing point that a lot of dead people killed with .22lr won't be able to argue over.

Boolit Master
    True enough. My hope is that she will trade up to something better soon. Spending a little more just means she'll something better to trade.

Instead of trading up, how about starting with something she can stay with over the long haul? A K frame Smith & Wesson comes to mind, something like a M10 in .38 Special. She can use 148 grain target wadcutters to begin with, and progress as far as she wants to go. The wadcutters should be plenty, though, with less blast and flash than a .22 mag from a pistol length barrel. Just a thought....
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    You might find a little S&W Hand Ejector in .32 Long, they have a nice smooth action and you could load them down for practice till she got used to more recoil. Even with a 4 inch barrel they are pretty small. I also have a Charter in .22, neat little gun, but would rather carry a 32 for protection.

FWIW, I have both a 1970's .22 Mag-only 3" Pathfinder and a 2008 Target Pathfinder 4" Dual Cylinder (LR/WRM) Model.

I bought the 1970's CA used, and the 2008 CA new/ordered - and have had zero issues with either.

They are good Trail Guns for close ranges shooting, but despite the factory model name, are not accurate enough to be a target pistol.

If you acquire a stainless model, I will tell you that the sights are hard to distinguish from the barrel, as they are the same color - which I remedied with a dollop of Ithernational Orange on the front sight blade's top and a white line around the sides/bottom of the rear sight notch (both are model paint).

Also, the Pathfinder grip frames are the same as every other Charter DA revolver regardless of caliber, which means the the issue rubber bumpers on the newer guns can be switched out for the walnut grips of older/other models ( I installed the square butt target grips on my stainless CA - the 1970's CA was issued with walnut carry grips).

Your lady friend may in fact be more comfortable with the smaller Undercover walnut grips.

Undercover grips:

Although Charters are not as well regarded as (say) a S&W or a Ruger, at the Charter's much lower price point, the value received (bang for your bucks) is hard to beat.

Last edited by pietro; 03-21-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I got an eyeball peeled for a .32 revolver (she really didn't like my Tomcat). I agree with all of the advantages of larger defensive cartridges but I've been down this road with other new shooters. In this case 22-to-32 looks like the best place to start.

Boolit Master

May want to just stick with the .22 LR version. Most .22 mag ammo is varmint stuff with bullets that may not penetrate a bad guy too well.
    I NEVER HERD such silliness...

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Because its unfounded, that's why!

Sure SOME projectiles loaded in the 22 magnum are designed for rapid and complete expansion but EVERY SINGLE CALIBER OFFERS inappropriate projectiles as well!!!

The 22 Mag uses a REAL JACKETED bullet, generating foot pounds of energy on par with some 9mm and 45 ACP loads. It surpasses the smaller calibers like all the 32's (san the 327) & 380 completely. It has FMJ loads are offered( NOT found in a LR). Has more than a few loads SPECFICALLY designed for personal Defense. Made from such names as Winchester PDX1, Gold Dot and Critical Defense. Yet you feel its not gonna penetrate as well as a LR??? 22 Mag is a VERY UNDERATED caliber. its touted as nearly perfect for treed Mountain lions and Javalina. Its legal for BIG GAME in a few states.

Such silliness is something I have not herd before!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Thank you, Pietro, I did wonder about the grip frame!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast