WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Pathfinder 22 magnum. Opinions?

You're welcome, JS !

You could get a new .32 CA Undercoverette for her ($328 @ Bud's), and cover all the bases.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

FWIW, I have both a 1970's .22 Mag-only 3" Pathfinder and a 2008 Target Pathfinder 4" Dual Cylinder (LR/WRM) Model.

I bought the 1970's CA used, and the 2008 CA new/ordered - and have had zero issues with either.

They are good Trail Guns for close ranges shooting, but despite the factory model name, are not accurate enough to be a target pistol.

If you acquire a stainless model, I will tell you that the sights are hard to distinguish from the barrel, as they are the same color - which I remedied with a dollop of Ithernational Orange on the front sight blade's top and a white line around the sides/bottom of the rear sight notch (both are model paint).

Also, the Pathfinder grip frames are the same as every other Charter DA revolver regardless of caliber, which means the the issue rubber bumpers on the newer guns can be switched out for the walnut grips of older/other models ( I installed the square butt target grips on my stainless CA - the 1970's CA was issued with walnut carry grips).

Your lady friend may in fact be more comfortable with the smaller Undercover walnut grips.

What a nice pair rare to see da 22s with both cylinders

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

You're welcome, JS !

You could get a new .32 CA Undercoverette for her ($328 @ Bud's), and cover all the bases.

Now THAT is interesting!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6314.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	238441

Name:	DSCF6316.jpg 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	238442

Name:	DSCF6317.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	238446

Name:	DSCF6319.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	238444

Name:	DSCF6320.jpg 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	238443

Name:	DSCF6322.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	238445

Name:	DSCF6324.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	238447

Name:	DSCF6325.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	238448

Boolit Master
    RJM52,very good post.

RJM52- your post confirms what I have observed in the hunting fields. That a .22 Magnum handgun is equal in power to a hi-speed .22 LR fired from a rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I know that 22lr from small handguns can be lethal , and all that some feel they can handle and when you get to 4” or better barrels the 22mag is starting to build some velocity ,
    but after seeing high speed 36 grain hp from a 31/2 inch barrel get stopped in a 21/2 pound squirrel it does not give you a lot of confidence in its effectiveness against 200 lb man ,I guess aim for the eyes.

Boolit Master
    Well, I do believe the rimfires are underrated but I also believe someone who doesn't know what they're doing won't do it any better if you hand them a bigger hammer.
    So I'm on the prowl with a better idea of what's best in this case, thanks for all of your opinions!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Well, I do believe the rimfires are underrated but I also believe someone who doesn't know what they're doing won't do it any better if you hand them a bigger hammer.
    So I'm on the prowl with a better idea of what's best in this case, thanks for all of your opinions!
    22 or 32 may be the best choice I don’t mean that it’s not if she is not going to cary it a 4” 22mag might her best option if she if she can pull it through DA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    S&W now has a .380 version of the Shield which was designed to be easy to use by folks with limited hand strength. I may end up getting one for the wifey.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

While its surely true very short barrels inhibit some cartritages abiliity to attain respectable velocity. ESPECIALLY when its designed for rifle barrels , as the majority of 22 mag ammo is designed. The above examples are STILL unfair/ slanted as the 22 Mag is a RIFLE ROUND. If one was to choose PISTOL designed 22 MAG ammo, and re test, you will find the littlest Magnum improves quite acceptably.

As previously stated manufacturers are now offering QUALITY BULLETS DESIGNED FOR SHORT PISTOL BARRELS! NOT OFFERED IN A LR! Edjucated testing provides meaningful results.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    While its surely true very short barrels inhibit some cartritages abiliity to attain respectable velocity. ESPECIALLY when its designed for rifle barrels , as the majority of 22 mag ammo is designed. The above examples are STILL unfair/ slanted as the 22 Mag is a RIFLE ROUND. If one was to choose PISTOL designed 22 MAG ammo, and re test, you will find the littlest Magnum improves quite acceptably.

As previously stated manufacturers are now offering QUALITY BULLETS DESIGNED FOR SHORT PISTOL BARRELS! NOT OFFERED IN A LR! Edjucated testing provides meaningful results.

CW
    I don’t question or disagree with any point you make , modern bullets are amazing in the way they perform. My concern is penetration from rimfire rounds fired from short barreled pistols into clothing meat and bone to stop a dangerous attacker I don’t want any expansion I would use solids. If my handgun was limited to a rimfire for whatever reason.
    But my research is totally limited to autopsies on what would soon be my dinner.
    We all get to choose and I hope we never have the opertunity to prove we are right.

Boolit Master

https://youtu.be/6wZbKWiN2ZE

https://youtu.be/XitMlki0t0k

https://youtu.be/eB-vaGV8wy0

I think we all respect this mans opinions based upon facts he presents.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The Charter Arms is OK, I don't see any problems with the choice. But I would tend to lean towards a small Ruger LCR or LCRx instead.

One issue that may be worth checking her out on is whether she can pull the trigger or not. When I was at the range some time ago, we had a couple of elderly women who couldn't rack the slides on semi-autos and couldn't pull the trigger on revolvers either. They had trouble cocking for single action with the revolvers too. But they could fire them single action though.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-23-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add more info

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would shy away from charter arms if i were you bought two over last summer 32 hr mag and 41 mag the 32 had to be sent back twice once for light primer strikes and again when transfer bar broke in half. The 41 had to be sent back for light primer strikes. The 32 was the wifes and just didn't feel i could trust it so bought her a sw 38. Lighter than the 32 and cost less to boot. The 41 haven't had a chance to get to the range so the verdict is still out. Its a shame because i really liked the guns. But the whole point of using a revolver is for it to go bang every time for them not to is a real big problem.

A .22mag handgun is not an ideal choice for self defense IMO but it is better than nothing. At least we have some decent loads for .22mag handguns like the Speer Gold Dots. A Ruger LC9S or a 9mm or .38 revolver (if that is what she prefers) would be better. You could always load up some low recoil ammo for her to practice with until she gets better and more confident with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Another thing to consider is, what kind of ammo is commonly available to her? If she is restricted to big retailers or just a single gun shop, .22 Magnum may be completely unavailable at times. Whereas, normally some sort of 40 grain HV .22 LR is in stock anywhere you go.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of decent shops nearby, plus the Oaks (Pa) gun show. I lean towards the .32 but there were none available at a reasonable price so the CharCo 22 mag followed me home. The trigger isn't bad, no heavier than the Smiths and Rugers I sampled, though it could be smoother. If it's not right for her it has a good home in my safe.

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of decent shops nearby, plus the Oaks (Pa) gun show. I lean towards the .32 but there were none available at a reasonable price so the CharCo 22 mag followed me home. The trigger isn't bad, no heavier than the Smiths and Rugers I sampled, though it could be smoother. If it's not right for her it has a good home in my safe.
    There are situations where all choices are a compromise If she can operate the gun I’m sure it will serve the purpose.
    Good job.

Boolit Buddy
    I do like the LCR just wish the barrel was a bit longer, this would be for home defense only. I actually hadn't even thought about Charter until I found out they offered 4" barrels.
    I believe Ruger offers the double action .22 mag LCRX in a longer barrel version with an exposed hammer now. It’s a much smoother functioning, better built gun than the recently made Charter .22 I have, which the barrel isn’t even clocked correctly in. I’ve noticed that most DA rimfire revolvers seem to typically have heavier trigger pulls than the equivalent models in center fire calibers.

The S&W M&P .380EZ is made specifically for people with weak/arthritic hands. The slide is very easy to retract, magazines are easier to load, and the pistol is very soft recoiling and light weight. I bought one to train female friends who couldn’t easily manage a double action revolver’s trigger or a typical semiauto slide. The .380EZ cost around $350 at the local emporium, which put it in the ballpark with a Charter Arms .22.
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 03-26-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast