MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am addicted.....

Boolit Grand Master

I’m right there with you. We can get through this together.......

I echo the sentiment of buying things and not shooting them. Or rarely shooting them. Over the next few months I’ll probably be selling off some to a new home where they can be loved and appreciated more.

Boolit Man
    I buy reloading components for guns I may never own. Sickness🤪

Boolit Grand Master
    I forgot to mention in my first post that at one time I had three Krieghoff Trap guns. Bought them all used but still had over $25k into them...and just to shoot silly clay birds. Could not hunt with them as all were release triggers. That is just NUTS!!!!! WTH was I thinking? I sold one four years ago, and last year put another on consignment. Not sure I should keep the last one but hard to let it go. I shot a 200 straight with it at the State Shoot in 2012.

I have a few guns like that. Guns with a history and part of my life memories. Good times with good friends and/or won a few trinkets with. I sold a couple and now have regrets. The one that hurts the most is the first and only gun my mom bought me. A Vostock IJ-1 free pistol. Here is a picture of one as I doubt many made it here to the USA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique-and-Collectible-Olympic-Free-Pistols-IJ-1-toz35.blogspot.com_.au_.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	238357
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    All my life I have been addicted to guns and reloading stuff.

When I was young and poor, I could not afford too feed my habit.

About 25 years ago, things changed. I became a junkie. I bought many guns...way too many...so many that some never got used. I have sold at least 15 but still have guns I have never fired. I have owned ten progressive presses.

Last year I bought four more guns but two were gifts. At least I shot the two I bought for myself...I am getting better...but I also bought a second 1050 that I do not need....hard to shake the addiction.

I have decided that no matter what I want, I will wait at least 6 months before buying anything else. And I will sell something first. I currently have a 550, 1050, and a dozen rifles I do not need.

I am so weak that I doubt I will be completely successful. Guns are my addiction. My fiancé likes guns too!!! I have a rough road ahead.
    Poor deverna,

I truly feel for you! If it will help with your addiction! Just send me those evil guns and reloading equipment. I promise to keep them from you there by removing the temptation from you! Glad I could help
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Years ago, 20 about, I started to loose my shooting and hunting partners to various illnesses. Until it was just me.
    I found it very hard to find new people to fill all those very capable and trusted shoes. Especially in the hunting realms. When it's you and another in the field you have to know what their moves would be, always.
    As a result, guns went into storage and left unused for almost as many years. But the buying and investing in others never stopped. Reloading filled a gap for me.
    Once in your blood, this "hobby" we all have, never leaves. That's one of the great things about it. Shooting can be carried on into our later years, even given physical limitations. You just have to adapt.

I'm getting back into all the things I love about the sport now. Dusting off the cobwebs and enjoying the moments again.
    So carry on, that's my advice.

I only need one more....
    I won’t list the new guns I have that have not been fired. Not even mention the new to me list.....

But my real problem is moulds I have not yet cast with. That list would trigger an intervention.

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta keep the one Krieghiff dverna. Good memories.

Boolit Master

I started reloading and casting at about age 15. A friend and I got into it for an alternative to expensive ammunition for rifles and shotguns--about $2.00 a box for shotgun shells and 3 or 4 for rifle shells. Did it for about 10-15 years and then family and work got in the way. Got rid of all my stuff. Then, back in the 90's, I fell off the wagon. Only press I saved from the old days was a C-H 206 I got on a clearance table for 19.95 in 1966. Found out that C-H had some new, old stock plates not long ago, had to get one. I have cast with all my molds, just some not in a good number of years. Presses I bought and never set up. Guns I bought, shot once or twice, haven't touched them since cleaning. Do I have a problem? No, but someone will have one getting rid of all this stuff. Hee-Hee-Hee!!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    But my real problem is moulds I have not yet cast with. That list would trigger an intervention.
    Darn! I was hoping no one would bring up moulds(molds?). I've tried to ignore those shiny new ones that I thought I just had to have.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    In reading these posts, I simply just don't see any problem here yet...

Maybe, I am just "in denial" about such things....

Just

LOL

Realistically, I have a lot of things that some might say are an addiction...

Hunting & fishing gear/clothing, tools, camping stuff, jig & fly making items, books, etc.. Too many to list. I have liked doing a lot of things over the years, owning what it took to do such things, & I see no problem with that.

My missus calls me a "hoarder" because of all the stuff I have. I tell her some is used very year, some is not, but is there if I want/need it, everything is bought & paid for with no hardship for any others in obtaining the stuff, & it will all go to the sons/grandsons/friends, etc. when I am no longer able to use any of it. Or, they can sell it or give it away.
    {Although I do not intend to take any of it with me. }
    Where I will be, I will not care any more. Until then, it all stays until "I" want it gone.

Anyway, folks did not call Tutankhamen & other such folks, "hoarders " for having a lot of things they liked and enjoyed doing. So, I don't see myself as a "hoarder" at all.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about something, as long as it does not cause issues for someone or anyone else. No harm, No foul, No problem...

BTW, just to mention... I can certainly relate to any "regrets" about selling off or giving away/letting go some of my "memorabilia" & some "investment" items over the years.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    While I can relate to many of the conditions listed above I don’t consider myself a gunaholic. They would have to attend real meetings. I only go to places like this.
    I’m just an avid hunter, tinkerer, shooter type that doesn’t have enough space for all his stuff.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have been known to pick up range brass when i get enough of a caliber i start looking for a gun to match.

Boolit Master
    I sold my Kentucky flinter more than 40 years ago and I still miss it. May be that I need to build another one. Just one???? Please?????

Banned

I don't feel so bad after reading all these.

The way I see it, they aren't eating anything but space, sooner or later, I'll get to them, or I won't. They aren't likely to lose value.

Some I shoot quite a bit. Some not so much I do have a lot of reloading stuff, but still do 90% of the work on an old Rock Chucker I started with. I do need to pare down the mold collection, though.

Boolit Master
    Been messing around with guns, reloading stuff and cast bullets since I got out of the navy in '67 and haven't stopped yet (now 72) so you got a long road ahead of you. And welcome to the club and as one member posted "don't expect any sympathy from us, and a great bunch of enablers" Sure wish we had a like button on that post. I have dies and ammo for guns I don't even have. Frank

I can relate. I'm not wealthy, though, so it limits my ability to buy all the guns I really want.

A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a set of dies for .40 S&W. Of course, I started looking for a pistol in that caliber and now have two, actually. And still haven't used the dies! They're there waiting for me, though.

I do have a need for a second safe, though........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    I saw an article by Frank James in Shotgun News about the new Lipsey Ruger SA in 44 Special. Now I have two Ruger 44 Specials (a SA and a GP100) and a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I can relate. I'm not wealthy, though, so it limits my ability to buy all the guns I really want.

A few years ago, a neighbor gave me a set of dies for .40 S&W. Of course, I started looking for a pistol in that caliber and now have two, actually. And still haven't used the dies! They're there waiting for me, though.

I do have a need for a second safe, though........

--Wag--
    When I took out insurance for my guns, I was asked if I had a safe. I asked them if they had reviewed my application, and the items listed. I then asked them if they knew of any safe that could hold that. Told them my two safes were full and I was not buying more safes. It did not end there...

They asked. "Surely you keep those expensive K-80's in the safe?" To which I replied, "Hell no!!! I shoot trap 2-3 times a week and take two of them to every competition. Just a pain in the butt to be doing that." Silence>>>>>

Then I said, "But I do have ADT and a Chow Chow that does not like strangers"

Insurance approved!!!
    Don Verna

We are all afflicted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast