Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: question about loading speed between Lee Classsic Turret and Dillon Square Deal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    The inline ejector finger allows the turret to kick out a finished case on the up stroke into a bin like on a progressive. It's a little metal and rubber piece that fits over the indexing rod and moves around with it. If it's timed right, as the ram lowers on the last station it pushes the finished case out of the shell holder and down a ramp into a bin. It's pretty slick and does speed things up a bit.

You seem to check things a lot more than I do. I do an initial check to make sure of powder charge and OAL, and then I check maybe every 30 rounds or so.
    Thanks for replying so quickly!

Yes, I figured that if I did not check things so often, I would be faster. I just thought perhaps there was other things you had, like powder thru die, etc., & such things as that, that were adding to the speed that I could look into getting myself.
    Yes, I am just pretty picky about my loads, I guess. It is just the way I started out reloading as self taught years ago, & I have just stuck with it. I started out reloading metallic cases while watching my two young sons at the same time, & I purposely made myself do such checks to make sure I did not mess up if I was interrupted by something that was going on with the two lads that pulled me away from the process. That way I would be doing what I could to prevent any mishap later on.
    I guess I kind of figured I would rather give up some speed/time doing more than most do in being careful, than have something happen that would prevent me from shooting again, by my missing something if I was called away & regret the result of it, but I am still willing to modify my rigs now to add speed, if there was a way I could do so & still keep the same procedures I use.
    So, that is why I asked.

Thanks again for the prompt reply, and once again, G'Luck! in figuring out what press you get & hope it works out for you the way you like!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    It's a simple mod you can do yourself or buy the parts, reverse indexing rod (I made one) & an arm mounted to the indexing rod that sweeps the loaded round off the shell holder into a bin.

https://youtu.be/Dw34yzynAa0

https://youtu.be/xKifVNWLKN4

You can also buy them as a set: This one works for 4 stge operation (4 pulls sweeps the case off)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic...frcectupt=true

This one is used if your using it for single stage final stge operation (each pull sweeps the case off)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Classic...frcectupt=true
    Thanks! I will go check them out now!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Grand Master

question about loading speed between Lee Classsic Turret and Dillon Square Deal

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Similarly, to me -- the time (assuming these will all contribute to making the resultant target pattern smaller) to trim all brass to exact length; clean primer pockets; deburr the flash holes; sort cases by lot....
    All that time absolutely counts. But the OP is talking about just 9mm. I can load a vibratory tumbler in less than five minutes. Let it run overnight and spend five minutes separating the brass from the media in the morning. The brass is then ready to load and all steps can be performed on press. The only other time that would have to be added is filling primer tubes.

The OP is in the same situation as I am w/ kids at home. Finding ten minutes to fill primer tubes is easy. So is the time to clean the brass. Time at the press is the hard part. Anything that speeds up loading means more time w/ the family.

Boolit Master
    I don't trim pistol brass,clean primer pockets ,deburr flash holes, sort cases by lot or even brand and I don't even polish brass if it's not tarnished. I check a few powder charges to make sure it's throwing correctly (I use ball powders for consistency) and start loading. This doesn't seem to affect accuracy much as my 45acp and my 38spl both shoot around 2" at 50yds. It only takes a couple of minutes to load a primer tube. The 550 will load 400 per hr fairly easy including filling primer tubes. More if you want to push things. The 550 will also load rifle rounds if you want. You can load for a few minutes to what ever time you have and have loaded ammo rather than batch loading for a few minutes and only have some cases sized and primed.
    I have three of the Lee Pro 1000s and would not recommend one to anyone that isn't a good tinkerer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    Petrol, you make a pretty good case for the 550.

I'm reading that the Dillon powder through expander may not expand enough for cast. Anybody run into this? And is there a solution?

Also, does Dillon have a powder through expander for rifle calibers?
    Maybe the 550 would be the way to go
    The Dillon powder funnel will work with cast BUT Lathesmith (a member of this forum) makes an excellent replacement powder through funnel (expander) that works far better. I requested that he incorporate a "M" die "step" on mine and it's a game changer. The Dillon expander puts a "bell" on the case and the Lyman "M" die style puts a step in the case.

And yes, there are rifle dies available for the 550 although I prefer to use a single stage press for rifle cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The Dillon powder funnel will work with cast BUT Lathesmith (a member of this forum) makes an excellent replacement powder through funnel (expander) that works far better. I requested that he incorporate a "M" die "step" on mine and it's a game changer. The Dillon expander puts a "bell" on the case and the Lyman "M" die style puts a step in the case.

And yes, there are rifle dies available for the 550 although I prefer to use a single stage press for rifle cartridges.
    Awesome! When I read about the PTX on the Dillon not being great for cast I thought that might be the killer for me, but if I can get high quality replacements that changes everything. The 550 sounds extremely versatile, and I hadn't thought about it in terms of being a single stage when I want one or a progressive when I want that. Doing a little more research and the tool heads aren't as expensive as I thought they were compared to the turret plates for the LCT.

That's the thing I like about this forum, I came in with an idea already in mind, and you guys got me thinking about things I hadn't considered and totally changed my mind. I think I'm going to go with the 550. The LCT may soon be relegated to load development and case prep

Boolit Buddy
    JBinMN, I use the Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure with out the in-line fabrication modification and can do on average 150 per hour using my Lee Classic Turret Press. It is extremely accurate for me. If you would like to give it a try, I'll be passing through Goodhue mid-morning of May 11th and coming back through on mid-morning May 19th. Just let me know if your interested.

Boolit Buddy
    On the issue of having time to load. What I always tell people is dont try to set aside one block of time to do all your reloading. Once the kids are in bed etc go load for 15-20 mins, do this a few nights a week and you’ll be ahead of the curve in no time. That the beauty of a progressive, leave it alone for a bit with no detriment.
    👍🏼

Boolit Grand Master
    asmith80,

I have loaded 10's of thousands of cast bullets in Dillon's in 9mm. .38, .44 and .45. Never had a problem with their powder through die's.

I have never loaded rifle rounds on a progressive as I do not shoot enough rifle ammunition to justify it. If I was shooting three gun, I would load .223's on the 550. Changing out the primers is a pain and you should not mix rifle and pistol primers. And going from small to large primers requires another changeover. Just easier for me to load rifle on the single stage presses. I use either the RCBS bench primer or a hand primer for rifle rounds and prime off the press. I suppose I could remove the sizing/decappng die and use sized and primed case on the 550, but then I may as well use a Lee...LOL YMMV.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    For me loading high volume as quickly as I felt was as safe , required many changes and compromises from when every caridge was as perfect as I could make it , (crude attempts at perfection compared to what many here produce.) but a box of cases stayed together for life all trimmed the same anealed the same primmer pockets always cleaned , my cast boollits were perfect Keith style Lyman’s in 38,44,45. or they went back in the pot , powder was all thrown and trickled exactly . My rifle loads got the same process.
    Most of my shootng was at 80 to 100 yards , a range trip was 20 rounds rifle 50 centerfire revolvers , 100 rimfire.
    Now I shoot at an indoor range max 25 yards mostly at 7 yards shooting at 1” dots iron sights off hand I don’t need all of the detail above to put 5 shots in an inch at 7 yards.
    My loads now are made up of as close to the same no of cases I came with picked up off the floor at the range for my autos . For autos I use the Lee factory crimp die because after determining OAL the loads will work in my gun assortment . Revolvers get bullets with a good crimp grove so I can determine OAL to the center of the grove so I have some leeway for case length they get a roll crimp.I prefer the Lee pro auto disc to any other measure I have used for ease of use (it’s like a case activated little dandy ) I record the orfice in my log and can duplicate any time in seconds.
    I pick powders that will perform well at a wide range of pressures and will cycle all my guns well with a charge well below max that will fall in the limitations of the disc measure. On the LCT red dot is my favorite I think it the rotation makes it settle consistently it has high volume for its weight so works in the standard disc for small charges (32 & 380) where more dense powders like BE don’t ,the bulk also is easy to see for last check befor bullet.
    The pro auto disc on the LCT needs to be cycled around a few times to settle after filling and the first charge returned to the hopper after setting a while , or any changes to routine cycling.
    All 3 of mine will feed red dot + or - 1/20 of a grain if the LCT is operated consistently.
    This is a long winded way of saying precision in loading except for saftey can be matched to your use.

Boolit Master

I have an SDB that I use exclusively for 9mm. It works really good but the working area is too small for my hands. I get a decent rate of production even with a lot of fumbling. I have a 550B also and being a bit frustrated with the SBD I set up the 550 to load 9mm.

I made a test run with the 550 last month and I loaded 400 9mm in about 50 minutes with out putting much effort into it. I shoot up a lot of 9mms every month in competition and practice. I'll be using the 550 from now on.

My $.02 is for you to save up a bit longer and get a 550. It's not that much more money and it is a more versatile and easy to use press.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I have loaded about 200K of various pistol calibers on my SDB. I size the 9 mm to .357 and they load fine using the factory die.

With preloaded primer tubes I can push and load up to 600 rounds an hour of practice ammo, and at an easy pace get 400 rounds an hour of major match ammo. I do have to admit, though, that I have very small hands.

I started with this press a quarter century ago and am happy with it as it works well and suits my needs. But if I were to load rifle, or want even higher volume, I'd pick another Dillon progressive: a 550 to manage broader needs, or one of the models that are commonly upgraded with automation for the greater production.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper64 View Post
    JBinMN, I use the Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure with out the in-line fabrication modification and can do on average 150 per hour using my Lee Classic Turret Press. It is extremely accurate for me. If you would like to give it a try, I'll be passing through Goodhue mid-morning of May 11th and coming back through on mid-morning May 19th. Just let me know if your interested.
    You have a PM.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master

SDB: Base price is $436.95
    550C: Base price is $489.95 without dies that you already have

SDB Caliber conversion with a toolhead is about $129 with dies and powder die, without a powder measure
    550C Caliber Conversion is about $90 without dies or powder measure but with a powder die (affects adjustment, with the $13.45)
    If you're buying everything new the caliber conversion costs are not very different but if you already have the dies the 550 is less expensive.

Most of my Dillon toolheads have their own powder measure but for cartridges I don't load often I move a powder measure from one toolhead to another. Everything I load frequently has a dedicated toolhead. I used to have a trifecta of Dillons on the bench; a Square Deal B with 2 9mm and .45 ACP toolheads, a 550B with a ton of caliber conversions and a 650 with toolheads for 4 cartridges. I just never liked the tiny size of the SDB and the feel of its operation. It's clicky, notchy and takes a lot more force on the lever than the 550. It got replaced with a Ponsness Warren 12/20 gauge press.

Even if you think you won't want to expand to other calibers right now, it is less costly in the long run to plan for that expansion. The SDB won't load any rifle cartridges. As mentioned, auto advance has little if any impact on the overall speed of a press. It's very easy to change calibers on the 550 even if you have to change primer sizes. The entire family of cartridges that uses the .45ACP/.308 case head can be loaded without changing anything but the powder funnel. I've loaded pistol cartridges from .380 to .45 Colt and rifle cartridges from .223 to .30-'06 to .45-70 on my 550. It will load almost all rifle and pistol cartridges.

The 550 is capable of producing very high quality rifle rounds. If you can put off the purchase for a little while and get a 550 you will never regret it. If you decide to stick with the SDB you'll still have a very good Dillon press.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    On the issue of having time to load. What I always tell people is dont try to set aside one block of time to do all your reloading. Once the kids are in bed etc go load for 15-20 mins, do this a few nights a week and you’ll be ahead of the curve in no time. That the beauty of a progressive, leave it alone for a bit with no detriment.
    A friend showed me a great tip for walking off and leaving a Dillon in mid session. It's very simple, just leave it with the stage up and the lever down. That eliminates all doubt about what has been done and what hasn't. With the handle up and stage down has the shellplate been rotated (550 only)? Has a boolit been set on the case? Powder in the case? Primer seated? All of those questions are eliminated if the stage is up.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    asmith80,

I have loaded 10's of thousands of cast bullets in Dillon's in 9mm. .38, .44 and .45. Never had a problem with their powder through die's.

I have never loaded rifle rounds on a progressive as I do not shoot enough rifle ammunition to justify it. If I was shooting three gun, I would load .223's on the 550. Changing out the primers is a pain and you should not mix rifle and pistol primers. And going from small to large primers requires another changeover. Just easier for me to load rifle on the single stage presses. I use either the RCBS bench primer or a hand primer for rifle rounds and prime off the press. I suppose I could remove the sizing/decappng die and use sized and primed case on the 550, but then I may as well use a Lee...LOL YMMV.
    Don,

Have you seen this video on changing the primer size on the 550? It doesn't help if you have a magazine full of the wrong type but if the magazine is empty it's really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

Loading small batches on a progressive is more trouble that it's worth to me as well. If it's fewer than 100 rounds I go to the single stage presses. I tend to usually load 40 rounds on a single stage press whether rifle or pistol; sometimes 50 or 60 rounds (1 50 rd pistol box or 3 20 rd rifle boxes). If I'm going to load over 60 I load 100 and usually go to a progressive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    A friend showed me a great tip for walking off and leaving a Dillon in mid session. It's very simple, just leave it with the stage up and the lever down. That eliminates all doubt about what has been done and what hasn't. With the handle up and stage down has the shellplate been rotated (550 only)? Has a boolit been set on the case? Powder in the case? Primer seated? All of those questions are eliminated if the stage is up.
    Great minds think alike I've been using that technique for 20+ years. I just sort of came up with the idea but I don't believe I can claim that I invented it.

The 550 is one of the simplest progressive presses available and that simplicity is part of its great strength.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Don,

Have you seen this video on changing the primer size on the 550? It doesn't help if you have a magazine full of the wrong type but if the magazine is empty it's really fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

Loading small batches on a progressive is more trouble that it's worth to me as well. If it's fewer than 100 rounds I go to the single stage presses. I tend to usually load 40 rounds on a single stage press whether rifle or pistol; sometimes 50 or 60 rounds (1 50 rd pistol box or 3 20 rd rifle boxes). If I'm going to load over 60 I load 100 and usually go to a progressive.
    That is a great way to change primer setups.

Agree with your advice to the OP

Agree with PP....the 550 is simple and bullet proof. It is a lifetime investment in easy reloading for the majority of reloaders who shoot a lot
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The 550 looks like such a great press and I know I would love it the main problem is I am CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP so I decide to get one and think I prolly need some better guns to load for on a press that nice , so I buy guns and keep cranking out ammo on my Lees and old Lyman’s but someday I gonna get me a Dillon 550

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I took the plunge. I got a new mounting bracket for my Inline ultramount, and the 550 and 9mm kit. Everything should be here by friday

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast