PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #3 what to rebarrel it to?

Ruger #3 what to rebarrel it to?

Hi, guys I have been flitting between ideas for this one and I mean a whole myriad of different thoughts!

Like anything from 218 bee, 220 swift, 257 Roberts, 277 Weatherby Magnum, 7x57R, 300 Win Mag, 33 Winchester, 358 Norm Mag, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester, 40-82 and more!

Mostly when I do a project I have a limitation, this size rim or that size head, or that maximum length!

The Ruger gives me non of those constraints so the options are vast.

I got the Ruger cheap in 45-70 but because Bubba had visited it and taken the barrel down to 16".

I could put a nice 45 -70 barrel on it, but I want to barrel it in 40 cal or less.

I am going to open this one to the floor, if you had a Ruger #3 sat there what would you make it into?

Banned
    Well this is going to start a caliber war

Banned
    OK, I'll start; Because of my fondness for the cartridge, the lack of current production rifles chambered for it and the overall nostalgia - My first vote would be for the 7mm Mauser (7 x 57)

If I wanted something a little more mainstream I might pick 7mm-08.

I might try the 40-50 strait wall. In a light no. 3 it wouldn't recoil to bad and is useful for most anything at moderate range.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is currently at the gunsmith getting changed into a 32-20 with a relined 1S barrel.

For your rifle, I'd say the classic 32-40 or 38-55

A 38 Cal barrel was one that crossed my mind, would give me the choice of 38-55, 38-56, 375 NE or 375 H&H

Boolit Grand Master
    327 Federal Magnum with a fairly fast twist. Shootable wth 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R (almost magnum) and the designated 327 FM. In addition, with the extractor arrangement on the #3, you could probably shoot 32 ACP in it as well. The existing factory stock would work well with it or better yet make a more svelte stalking rifle design, and you’d be good to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    375 NE, 358 Norma Mag, 405 Win are interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd personally stay away from the .405 for two reasons. First is recoil. I know you can download them, but it's still a light gun and will not be too comfortable. But the 2nd is a better reason to avoid the .405 Win.! Hornady dropped it from their lineup, and now everyone is out of stock on .405 Hornady brass. So finding brass for this caliber is extremely hard, and not cheap anymore. I have 5 guns that I used the .405 brass in for other calibers, and wish I'd known Hornady was going to drop it!

I'd stick with calibers that brass is easy to find for, whether you use the brass as is, or use it to form from. There are cartridges like the .303 British that are great, and very cheap brass. But also the .38-50 Remington that's easily fire formed from .303 brass, or the .40-50SS that's also made from .303 brass. So there's 3 choices I'd recommend for a good chambering, and cheap brass.

I'd make it a clone of the VERY rare .30-06 Ruger #3 (yes, there were a few made - I've personally seen two, over the years, that had accompanying factory letters of authenticity).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I would opt for 38-55 or 38-50 with a 1-12 or 1-14 twist barrel. this would allow for bullets up to 360 grns to be used and the 38-XXs are mild mannered with lighter recoil. Brass is available though with 38-50 it is formed from 303 britsh or 30-40 krag brass. The 38-XX with this combination will perform well out pas 500 yds

Boolit Grand Master

What do you want to do with it? That is more determinative than any other question. Just a wildcat, or a varmit rifle, or a deer rifle, or something to plink with walking the woods? All different.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    What do you want to do with it? That is more determinative than any other question. Just a wildcat, or a varmit rifle, or a deer rifle, or something to plink with walking the woods? All different.
    Finally the voice of reason...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Finally the voice of reason...
    That and what other rifles do you already have? Is there a gap or you just want a new toy?
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy
    How about a 40-65 WCf? Taper octagon barrel. I had a #3 re- barreled to 50-70 govt. Replaced the #3 wood with #1 wood. I would think that the existing extractor from your 45-70 will work with the 40-65.

I did think and still like the idea of one in 6mm BR, but is the Ruger 3# inherently a rifle accurate enough for such a thing?

Boolit Master
    I tend to only want to build something that I cannot buy.
    Since the Ruger is a single shot that works best with rimmed cartridges I would stick with rimmed rounds.
    I might resort to old and obsolete rounds but I would avoid wildcats.

1. Light varmit - .218 Bee
    2. Light cast and plinking .327 Magnum

3. Light hunting and deer 6.5X53R Dutch or 8X57 Rimmed

4. Heavier cast rounds - .33 Win using 45-70 brass or .35 Rem using rimmed .303 Brit brass

5. large caliber plinking and cast .45 Auto Rim or .44 Special or .357 Max
    Last edited by EDG; 03-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andym79 View Post
    I did think and still like the idea of one in 6mm BR, but is the Ruger 3# inherently a rifle accurate enough for such a thing?
    They can be very accurate, but depending upon your criteria, I certainly wouldn't make it my first choice and I shot BR competition years ago. There is a very good reason why bolt actions dominate that game. As for a varmint rifle, it would be fine.
    Last edited by LynC2; 03-20-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

If you're gonna do it, go all the way & make it into a Ruger #2. That's what I did & chambered mine in 6.8mm SPC-II. I like the .218 Bee idea & .220 swift idea. What about a nice .219 Zipper or Donaldson-Wasp?

Attachment 238355
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

The venerable 30/30.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast