RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Cheap lead

Boolit Mold

Cheap lead

I'm looking to buy about 5 lbs? of cheap lead to melt/mold to add some weight to a gun. What would be the cheapest / easiest way to do this?

Boolit Master
    If you are going to melt it, any lead will do.

Lead is going to run at least $1.00/lb up to $1.50/lb in small quantities.

Range pickup is a lot cheaper.

Lead shot is more expensive, but can bypass the "melt & mold" effort.

Big question is what are you going to do for a mold?

Boolit Master
    And what gun will the extra weight be added too?. I say this because it was customary to use the stick one wheel weights under the handguards on match grade AR's and in the buttstock usually got lead shot.Frank

Boolit Master

If I could ask? What gun are you adding 5 pounds to?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    If I could ask? What gun are you adding 5 pounds to?

I've never done this before ... including just melting lead, so this is all new to me. I don't intend to add 5 lbs to one rifle, but thought I'd get enough to do another if I felt the need, The gun is a bolt action with a syn stock, and I'd like to calm in down some on the bench. In fact, I bought an extra stock just for this purpose. I own another rifle just like it in a lighter cartridge, and can tell I need to" hold " this one more. The difference is going to make a difference on paper when switching from one to the other.

Things are looking up too. I made a call to a local tire shop this morning, and they said they would sell me some old weights for 30 cents a pound. I reckon I'll go that route. Next thing will be figuring out a cheap way to make some molds for pouring it. The plan would be to doing this in such a way that it fits snugly, but still be removable if need be.

Boolit Master
    I had a gun like that where it was too light for its own good on the bench. I got a target/varmint style laminated stock from boyds for it and put a lead rectangle in the open channel under the chamber. got it from 7.25 to 10 pounds, mostly the stock the lead is under a pound I think. way better to shoot now, not just recoil but stability and everything else.

synthetic stock is kinda hard to say where to weight cause different ones will have openings in different places. just off the top of my head maybe if the buttplate comes off and its hollow under you could hold 1 inch pvc pipe down in and expanding foam it in place, then cast lead with 1 inch pipe and slide pieces in, some cloth after till full then screw buttpad back on

Boolit Buddy
    Just an idea, but maybe try using lead shot and some type very thin epoxy that will flow into the voids to make it solid. Would be much easier in my head to implement. No melting necessary. Ive seen this done in sail boat keels.
    👍🏼

Boolit Mold
    The recoil pad has already been replaced with a limbsaver pad. I peeked inside the butt stock, and it has a foam core. Some of that will need to be removed.

I don't know if this would work in your application but I have made "ram rods" for my 12 ga shotgun of 1/2" copper pipe filled with lead, copper caps on the ends. It would possibly just require running a 1/2" spade bit into the foam in the stock to make a channel for it. Just an idea.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I'd use lead shot and bore a hole into the stock. I bought a 16oz mercury recoil suppressor for one of my rifled shotguns but I made a lead recoil suppressor for another. I made it from stuff I had here. 3/4" copper pipe some end caps, heavy springs & a lead counter weight.

Boolit Buddy
    If shot is not your thing, try a local tire store, wheel weights melt down pretty good. I got about 1/2 a 5G bucket for pack it to the truck.

Boolit Buddy
    ZINK WW would make an excellent substitute for what you are going to do with it. That way you can save the good ones for when you decide to start casting boolits to shoot in your modified rifles.

I think I might have a lead habit, cause this discussion hurts just to read it.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !