MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Hornady LnL AP primer feed problem

Hornady LnL AP primer feed problem

I am having problems with Winchester Large Pistol Primers feeding in my LnL AP. I polished all the moving parts so that they move slick as goose poop. I haven’t had this issue with CCI’s.

Anyone else experience this?

Boolit Master

I have the same problem, all parts are polished and still hangs up.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine gets the hickups with win small primers. I just switched to CCI, put the win in by hand.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Mold
    Where are they hanging up at? Under the tube or the housing that holds the tube? Or, at the end by the seater?

Boolit Master

Most times Winchester's hang in the housing.

They hang up in the housing, directly under the feed tube. Its as if the edges of the "anvil"(?) of the primer extend above the primer cup, and snag on the upper housing.

I literally polished all the pieces of the mechanism. If you just look at it to hard it will start to move....LOL ... except with the Winchester primers.

sent an e-mail to Winchester. I'll advise their response.

Boolit Master

The uneven anvils started couple years ago. The CCI and Federals are flat so they don't hang up.

4,800 primers going back to Winchester for refund.

Banned

funny id think that if anything ccis would give more trouble because they tend to be a bit bigger. I can have some cases that were swadged a bit to much that Winchester primers will about fall out of but ccis and feds seat just fine. My two lock and loads tend to do equally bad seating about any primer. Its just a finiky system that's right under where those dirty primers get punched out and needs to about be kept hospital clean and lubed. But as soon as you lube it that lube is like a magnet for burnt primer compound. So every 5 tubes of primers I just pull it apart and clean it. some times it tells me before that that it aint making 500 rounds.

Boolit Master
    I was having problems the other day, realized that I had the tube in upside down.

The tube sometimes comes up on mine, usually when I remove the follower rod or when I have a case that the ptx die really decides to grab onto. Fixed it yesterday by epoxying the tube into the mount, now it works great! Now to switch from large to small primers I unscrew the mount which is a bit more work, but I end up taking it off to clean when I’m switching slides anyway.

Boolit Bub
    I use Winchester and dont usually have a problem if any until the last 5 rounds. Your could try an aluminum rod follower instead of plastic for just a touch more weight. I also have to periodically bend the cam rod out or adjust the slotted top piece every few months to make sure it is not short stroking the primer shuttle.

Banned

What I do with mine I use the plastic rod but drill the primer pocket out of a 45acp case to fit the rod and jb weld it on. Dillons are easier the end of here rod fits perfecty inside a 45acp case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barr View Post
    I use Winchester and dont usually have a problem if any until the last 5 rounds. Your could try an aluminum rod follower instead of plastic for just a touch more weight. I also have to periodically bend the cam rod out or adjust the slotted top piece every few months to make sure it is not short stroking the primer shuttle.

Boolit Master
    I use a steel rod with a 147g bullet on top. If the primers decide to go off in the tube I expect to have a hole in the ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I was having problems the other day, realized that I had the tube in upside down.

The tube sometimes comes up on mine, usually when I remove the follower rod or when I have a case that the ptx die really decides to grab onto. Fixed it yesterday by epoxying the tube into the mount, now it works great! Now to switch from large to small primers I unscrew the mount which is a bit more work, but I end up taking it off to clean when I’m switching slides anyway.
    I drilled and tapped the primer tube housing for a set screw to keep the tube in place. I also found the large tube side wall was thicker on one side than the other. Marked the tube so it goes in the same way every time and gently tighten the added set screw to keep it in place. I think tolerance stacking is a problem on this press.