Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Adding bb's to tumbler dry media.

Boolit Master

Adding bb's to tumbler dry media.

I saw a video of someone doing it. Opinions on this idea?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4RZbRkG6A
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Evidently it works, and shouldn't clog primer pockets.

Depending on your other media, about the worst thing I can see happening is that it
    would go to the bottom and not circulate in between the brass cases.
    But if ya see it coming up & over, it'd probably work fine to speed up the polishing time.

If you use too many,
    there might be a concern of getting your tumbler over weight and it could wear out a little faster.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have room.
    I bought a Harbor Freight (it happens to be the bigger of the two offerings) off Craigs List, listed for $50 paid $35.
    I through a 5 gallon pail in at a time.
    10x faster time wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

I have 2 franklin arsonal vibrating ones. They are 40.00 on Academy. The one i use for pre cleaning really dirty stuff before i decap.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Just run it longer if it’s not clean enough. I have vibratory tumblers, an ultrasonic cleaner and a rotary tumbler w/ stainless media in it. I used to use a cement mixer when I was picking up about ten gallons of brass a week. Perfectly clean brass doesn’t shoot any better than brass that’s been cleaned in a vibratory tumbler. Brass that’s tarnished won’t be brought back to new by any method. If left exposed to the elements long enough the case will be compromised due to leeching and there’s no bringing it back.

I’m not saying this method won’t work. I just don’t see the need. It’s easy to run a tumbler over night and any brass that’s good will be clean enough. I don’t get the fascination w/ cases having to look brand new every time.

Boolit Master

The tarnished stuff i keep and load. The brass i sell. I like it to look great when someone receives it. Plus it helps me inspect for cracks when it's clean.
    One round at a time.

I clean my brass in 14/20 corn cob media and a bit of Dillon rapid polish, the longest I've ever ran my Dillon Tumbler was 90 minutes but most of the time it's less than that, maybe 60 minutes. I get great results, and I don't understand the need to run a tumbler any longer than that. JMHO
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried it once.
    It works, but I had some BB's stuck in the case of bottle neck shells.
    The media would clogged the BB.
    Just like cleaning 9mm and 45ACP at the same time.
    It does clean well.
    Worked fine on straight cases.

Boolit Master

I gave it a try. I loaded some 40's and had some with a bb in the primer pocket lol. Going to go fishing with a magnet this eve.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Lyman's original viberator tumblers for "cleaning" (polishing) brass were still some 15-20 years away when I started reloading. Most reloaders enjoy playing with new gadgets and that was the new one. So, many of us, including me, just had to have a tumbler so our cases would look "new" again. Except that wasn't the real goal; new cases really aren't at all polished but we competed to make our cases shine until they would blind other shooters on a sunny day at the range.

But some of us, especially us old guys, just wanted ammo that shot well. We realized our shiny cases din't do a thing on target and few folks were much impressed with our glittery cartridges anyway. So ... a lot of us drifted back to simply wiping the real dirt off our empties; most old guys are results oriented like that.

Some folk have the idea that stained/tarnished brass was "dirty"; it is not. Tarnish is simply a surface oxidation, it is not dirt nor does it harm dies or chambers. IF you want to remove the dark tarnish stains from serviceable range pick-up cases just soak them over night in white vinegar, rinse them off and let them dry. Finish and remove the slight pink remains on the surface by normal tumbling.

And forget adding a spoon full of this polish or that polish, just tumbling in clean cob or nut media will make the brass actually look satin new again. Any normal tumbling media will do that and last practically forever unless we put a dry glaze of hard gray metal polish over the grains.

Use the finest grain media you can find to avoid clogged flash holes, not big stuff like plastic BBs. I now use plain 20-40 grit cob because that was what I found (cheep) in an old time farm country grain and feed store and it cleans great.

Anyone wanting to spot case cracks need wait until the cases have been cleaned AND resized, then tiny cracks open up too wide to overlook even on a casual examination.
    Last edited by 1hole; 03-21-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Banned

Thumbs up

Tumblers are so superior, I'm surprised anyone still is able to sell a vibrator. SS pins, case detergent and water do this (with clean insides and primer pockets)

60 year old new 220 Swift cases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WehrmannsGeweher View Post
    Tumblers are so superior, I'm surprised anyone still is able to sell a vibrator. SS pins, case detergent and water do this (with clean insides and primer pockets)
    This thread isn’t about rotary tumblers so there was no need for you to post about one. I have one. It’s a lot of steps and takes a lot of time. Yes, the brass is shinier at the end. But it doesn’t make a round more accurate. And it doesn’t remove years of tarnish. Pits in cases are still there. You can’t make old brass new w/ any form of cleaning. A vibratory tumbler is the quickest and easiest method of cleaning brass.

Banned
    Uh, no, but if you like it, that's fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Please elaborate on what I said that was wrong.

Banned
    Sorry but I'm not taking the bait. Each person is free to choose whatever method works best for them. Please wear a dust mask.

Boolit Master

Sorry but I'm not taking the bait. Each person is free to choose whatever method works best for them. Please wear a dust mask.
    You really refuse to explain why vibratory tumbling isn't the easiest and quickest method?

Because you don't have to mess with anything wet or remove stainless steel pins, it is without a doubt the fastest and least complicated method available that gives acceptable results. It might not result in the shiniest cases or be the most healthful, but that was not asserted.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 03-22-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy

60 year old new 220 Swift cases.

Oh.... Such dirty talk...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

When I first got my vibratory tumbler, I put some dark, tarnished cases in it with corn cob media and a dab of Nu Finish. After 2 hours they were not quite so dark, after about 4 hours they were still a little dark but not too bad. At about 8 hours they almost looked good. I have never seen brass that looked as good as those in post 11. The brightest brass I have had was polished with steel wool and a mandrel. In the future, I will acquire some SS chips and try to get brass bright enough that I can find it in the grass. I think that will be better than buying a metal detector.