Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separate Seat & Crimp Dies

I always seat and crimp in the same operation. If I was loading for precision I'd separate the operations to limit run out. Once you figure out how to tweak your dies it's not hard at all to set it up to do both. If I was going to do them in a separate operation I certainly would get a second seat crimp die for my most loaded calibers. I load mostly in smaller batches though.

Boolit Master

I started using the Redding Profile Crimp dies as they became available but find I prefer the Dillon AccuCrimp dies. The Dillons sport a taper leadin to a roll crimp and produce really lovely full crimps for revolver loads; there is no hint of case neck swelling behind the crimp.

Boolit Master
    If I was to convert to using a separate die for crimping as opposed to bullet seating, watching FleaBay for cheap bullet seating/crimping dies, does anybody use common dies for this separate operation? Like purchasing a 308 die to crimp all the 30 calibers like 30-06, 30-40 Krag, 308, etc.? Or do I have to buy a specific 30-06 crimping die for a 30-06 cartridge?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    If I was to convert to using a separate die for crimping as opposed to bullet seating, watching FleaBay for cheap bullet seating/crimping dies, does anybody use common dies for this separate operation? Like purchasing a 308 die to crimp all the 30 calibers like 30-06, 30-40 Krag, 308, etc.? Or do I have to buy a specific 30-06 crimping die for a 30-06 cartridge?
    I am also interested in this. Thanks to DonMountain for bringing this up.
    John
    W.TN

I have a Lyman 30-06 set I got off the PIF section, it's an older set. The seat crimp die is marked pa-22 30-06,308,300sav. It has a floating crimp sleeve with its own adjustment and the seater plug has a lot of adjustment. So, I'd say as long as the neck diameter is pretty close, you would have no problem using a single crimp die for various calibers, as long as they would adjust enough to cover the different cartridge case and OAL lengths.

Boolit Master
    I use Lee factory crimp dies to just take the flare out of cases, after seating flat based cast bullets and find they work just fine.

ukrifleman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12