MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separate Seat & Crimp Dies

Boolit Master

Separate Seat & Crimp Dies

Since I got my turret press, I've been giving a lot of thought to setting up separate dies for boolit seating and crimping for some of my rifles. I have more than one set of dies for a couple of my rifle cartridges and am considering an additional crimp die for those that I only have one set.

For those that I might look for a crimp die, what is recommended? Maybe the Redding Profile Crimp die or just look for another used set to get the crimp die(remove the seat stem)? Or is there another option?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I’m in the camp that prefers to crimp as a separate step for both rifle or pistol. I just think I have better control of the crimp that way. As for what type, all the major manufacturers have a crimp die that will get the job done, some arguably better than others. There will be 10 pages to follow of which one is the best (Ford vs Chevy or Ginger or Mary Ann), but in the end it’s the one that you find does the best for you. If you do a search on crimp die you will likely find a bunch of threads on the subject.

The leading die in general seems to the Lee Factory Crimp dies that even the big green, blue and orange fans approve of.

Boolit Master

I use Redding Profile Crimp dies for my pistol loading but I do seat and crimp as a separate step. I use regular RCBS or C&H seat dies for crimping rifle cartridges (I don't always crimp rifle cartridges, it just depends on the load(usually slow burning powder). I don't know that it improves the shooting all that much but I do it anyway. Works for me, james

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    ...The leading die in general seems to the Lee Factory Crimp dies that even the big green, blue and orange fans approve of.
    +1 On the Lee FC die

I'm not a Lee fan, but I've bought a FC die for every caliber that I feel may needs crimping. I prefer to crimp as a separate step but that often depends on the volume & how much time I have.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    It kinda depends on what cartridge quantity and rifle.
    I once loaded 4000 223s for ar15 rifles in once fired brass I used the Lee factory crimp collet die so I would not need to trim all that brass it could be adjusted for correct OAL and crimp in the crimp grove.
    I liked that die and have used them in 308 and 3006 but I am fine with 2 die sets with all brass properly trimmed

Another separate seater and crimped with Lee fcd.

I'm a big seat & taper crimp separately guy.

When I sit down and load 1,000 or something for plinking/target practice,
    I make sure my brass isn't too long, but don't trim it if I don't have too.

The taper crimp is less critical of cases being slightly different between the 'trim to' and 'too long' lengths.
    And 'j' boolits without the groove don't seem to appreciate being roll crimped.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    I have no use for the Lee FCD but I do seat and crimp in two separate operations.

I prefer to use a taper crimp die for pistol cartridges and bottle neck rifle cartridges. I use a roll crimp for revolver cartridges.

Boolit Master

I always crimp in a separate step, no if's and's or but's. Depending on the cartridge I may use the same die as the seater, or a Lee factory crimp or even a seater with the stem removed for a taper crimp or roll crimp. No chance of shaving the bullet at the end of the stroke, more control over the process.

Boolit Buddy
    Taper crimp for 380, 9mm, and 45 ACP
    Lee FCD for .308 and .223

Boolit Master
    The Lee Factory Crimp Die for bottle neck rounds is a superior die for my use.
    I only crimp for autoloaders, tube magazine pumps and tube magazine lever guns.
    Box magazine guns and single shots do not get crimped
    EDG

I am in a dead end street. Until a few months ago it seemed to me that there was nothing so fantastic as the Lee FC and the boolits that I bought. Since I started doing my 9 luger boolits, when I used the LFC I compressed it making smaller the diameter and consequent leading and lack of precision. Today I bought a new dies dillon set with the seat and FC separately. I also ordered the widest powder funnel. I hope to have this week time to put them on the Dillon 550 and the weekend to see how it works. As they say above, I think that having separate seat and crimp, one can have more control over the whole process. Soon I will know.

Boolit Grand Master

I too have no use for a Lee FCD for handgun cartridges (post crimping sizing die). I seat and crimp separately and have done so for well over 35 years and I believe I started this method foe better crimp control. It is now my "standard" method. I now use "stock" taper crimp dies for my semi-auto handloads, Redding Profile crimp dies for my revolves, and Lee collet crimp for my rifle and Magnum revolver ammo.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee FCD for rifle cartridges because you can watch the crimping action through the open top of the die and apply just enough crimp. I single-load my cartridges so I don't need to crimp for the tubular magazine. With the FCD it's easy to apply just enough crimp to remove the flare from bullet seating.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The Lee Factory Crimp Die for bottle neck rounds is a superior die for my use.
    I only crimp for autoloaders, tube magazine pumps and tube magazine lever guns.
    Box magazine guns and single shots do not get crimped
    and revolvers I hope!

Boolit Master
    I may be one the few here that likes the Lee factory crimp for auto pistols I use them and like them so far for my use no problems only pluses.
    Revolvers and lever actions rollcrimp die.
    Semi auto rifle Lee factory crimp die.
    Single shot and bolt guns normally no crimp unless it seems to shoot better
    If I crimp i prefer separate die from seating especially with cast.

Boolit Master
    lee fcd for rifle cases ,seat and crimp for straight wall cases

Boolit Bub
    Also happy with FCD for 45acp and 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely crimp separately from seating. For rifle w/o cannelure = no crimp for me. Rifle with cannelure (very light crimp) and revolver = Lee FCD. Semiauto Pistol = taper crimp die.

Crimping separately just is cleaner and more precise in my experience. I did it all in one die for many years but after trying it separately I never looked back.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    separate operations from the start and see no reason to change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast