Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Soy Wax

Boolit Buddy

Soy Wax

Have been looking into making my own lube and mentioned this to my son who is a mechanical engineer at a local soy bean refinery. He says that he can get me a large amount of soy wax at a very low price and brought me a sample.
    I have read that soy wax is a little soft and melts at a low temp but this stuff is a quite a bit harder than bees wax and son says that it melts at 160 degrees.

How does this sound to you experienced lube chefs ?

Thought I might blend it with a Molly grease. Would like to hear your opinions.

Boolit Grand Master

Being a natural wax it might make a good Black Powder lube ingredient also. Maybe replace the beeswax in Emmerts improved with it?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I say give it a try and see how it does. Might just be a good thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I should have said that I plan to use it mostly for smokeless in both rifle and pistol.

Boolit Master

It makes a decent lube in the blackpowder bullets I have tried in in but it tends to be slippery and doesn't like to stay in the lube grooves. Beeswax works better for me. Maybe I could have added some other ingredients to make it stickier but i didn't pursue it.

I use Soy wax in some of my black powder loads and it works well.
    Wax for the use in making lube is just a carrier, it holds the concoctions you want to use for a lube. The better the absorption rate the wax has the better the carrier. What you want to look at when making a good lube is the melting point and absorption. Bee Wax is good and also Soy wax. but soy wax needs a few additives to make it none crumbling and if your using it for GG bullets that will stick in the grooves and the excess will spin off close to the muzzle as the bullet exits. The closer the better to keep the bullet from developing a yah.
    My favorite wax is Ozokerite wax.http://spwax.com/pages/products/Ozokerite.html OZ wax is used in cosmetics for a reason. Do sone research. Yes OZ wax is a mineral wax made form Shale and other "dirt" but it is good for black powder or which ever powder you want to use.
    It is expensive but if you do a search you can find it for less than B-Wax.
    Don't ask me what to use for the witches brew
    Kurt

Boolit Buddy
    The main reason I want to use soy wax is the fact that I can get a few hundred pounds for free. That gives me some incentive to make it work
    I also keep bees but my wife claims most of it for candles and keeps giving it away to her friends.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Thats all the incentive i would need.

Boolit Master

I have heard good things about soy wax. Fiver used to talk about it all the time. Still does sometimes on other forums. Would love to try it myself. Add about 5 to 10 percent to any wax for any bullet lube recipe.

Take your wax carrier and dived wax into parts then replace the parts with different waxes to make a complex wax carrier. The idea is to make a well rounded wax carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

A pound of bee wax goes a long ways. Mix that bee wax, soy wax, high temp micro and touch of parafin in equal parts. Bet that would make a good base wax carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    If you come up with a good formula, you have a willing market right here. Talk about a "targeted" audience.

Boolit Master

I'm sure you can come up with a very good lube especially free soy wax

Here is a free Tip for you;
    Once you come up with a formula, test it for your application or beyond.
    Will it work in Rifles, Revolvers, High velocities, Medium Vel and low velocity.
    How much will your Soy wax carrier hold in the heat before it starts to bleeds out.

OZ is real good but who can afford it, it is cost exceeds it's worthiness

You see Beeswax is still king for having the capacity to hold a huge % barrel lubricants before bleeding out in the heat and can still afford it.

Boolit Master
    I will be looking forward to reading about the tests & results of the experiments.

Having a chat with Lars about it would also likely be a good idea, if not done already, as well.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I will be looking forward to reading about the tests & results of the experiments.

Having a chat with Lars about it would also likely be a good idea, if not done already, as well.

G'Luck!
    +1 for me