PBcastcoLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead hardness pencil testing trick

Banned

Lead hardness pencil testing trick

Lead hardness pencil testing trick
    This is a simple mod of a pencil sharpener to prepare pencils for lead hardness testing

Insert pencil and mark the blade where pencil lead and wood meet

Use a grinder/file/? and remove the cutting edge where the pencil lead is

Insert pencil and sharpen until pencil lead sticks out past the wood the distance you like (I go a little under 1/4 in)

Flatten point of pencil lead with sandpaper

Push the flattened HB pencil tip across the prepared (flat/smooth area on the lead)

If the HB pencil cuts a trough and leaves a curl of lead (or a scratch), the pencil is harder than the boolit lead "HB" (14-15 BHN)

Last edited by Conditor22; 04-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Banned
    If the pencil slides across the lead the pencil is softer than the bullet lead "B" (13 BHN)

This boolit is between 13 and 14 BHN
    Pencil Hardness Chart

Last edited by Conditor22; 11-04-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: clean up

Boolit Master
    An ordinary sharp pencil point does the same thing. I used to think there was no way I could push a sharp point into lead without breaking the point-- but when I tried it the point did not break. With a sharp point it is easy to do the test-- the sharp point pencil writes on harder alloy and scratches softer alloy.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Resurrecting this last pencil test thread because I happened to run into a youtube video that kind of CHANGES THE BALLGAME. I have been using the pencil tests and you can look at many of the older thread and find some of my input. I followed others advise about how to sharpen the tips and carefully plow the lead yadayadayada. I never questioned the method. This video shows a testing with pencils in a totally simple light. Making it far far far easier to understand and perform. I am excited to share it with everyone:

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Traffer.

I was just scratching my head on how I was going to determine lead hardness. I'm just starting to look for local sources and this method will prove handy if I come across some.

Boolit Master

What is meant on HB line, 14-15 BHN, Lyman#2 alloy, 11 Linotype lead?

Is it 1:1 Linotype to pure or 1:1 Lyman#2 to Linotype, or something all together different? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    Lyman #2 = 15 bhn, 1-linotype to 1 pure = 15 bhn

Boolit Master

Excellent write up!

Thank you for posting!

I was just attempting to explain this process. Your explination with pics is a huge asset!

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Much appreciated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Grand Master
    Outstanding post I remember nearly 60 years ago when my father was doing mechanical drawing he had a pencil sharpener modified to expose the "lead" in a standard style wood and graphite pencil. He would then sharpen them to a chisel point on a little paddle board with tear-off strips of sandpaper attached. As technology advanced and he became more affluent he began using sticks of numbered graphite in special mechanical pencils along with a special dedicated pencil sharpener. Dad is gone now, but I think some of those graphite sticks and special pencils may be in the basement somewhere. Does anyone know whether the special graphite sticks I'm referring to are even still available in these days of computer assisted drafting?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Outstanding post I remember nearly 60 years ago when my father was doing mechanical drawing he had a pencil sharpener modified to expose the "lead" in a standard style wood and graphite pencil. He would then sharpen them to a chisel point on a little paddle board with tear-off strips of sandpaper attached. As technology advanced and he became more affluent he began using sticks of numbered graphite in special mechanical pencils along with a special dedicated pencil sharpener. Dad is gone now, but I think some of those graphite sticks and special pencils may be in the basement somewhere. Does anyone know whether the special graphite sticks I'm referring to are even still available in these days of computer assisted drafting?

Froggie
    Similar graphite sticks are used by artists, based on seeing them at Hobby Lobby.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Imo, this should be a "sticky"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Imo, this should be a "sticky"
    This one IS a sticky...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Saving this!

Thanks for putting the video up.

Boolit Mold
    I do have a question about the use of the pencil hardness test. I and HB (14-15Bhn) does not scratch the lead, but a F (16-18Bhn) does scratch the lead what is the final result? Watching the video above, he says if the pencil scratches the lead that is the correct hardness of the lead. Or is the correct hardness the pencil that does not scratch the lead.

Boolit Master

The first pencil that barely marks the alloy (dimple or groove) identifies the alloy hardness (+/-). If the pencil writes on or slides across without marking, the alloy is harder than that pencil.

The "Pencil Test" is simple, cost effective, and for all practical purposes "close enough".

If you must split hairs between pencils (with regard to the "gouge" made), then AVERAGE the result with the closest lower non-marking pencil. That's the "best" fidelity in the result you can get with pencils [(15 + 16 ) divided by 2 = 15.5]. There is no pencil to test for 15.5 BHN, but you can live in that moment.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Love the pencil test, works well enough for me.
    Since im only looking for 3 levels
    Below 12 above 18 and whats left in the middle.

Boolit Buddy

Great info!! THANKS
    SEMPER FI remember you only have the "RIGHTS" you are willing to fight for & except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR has never solved anything!

Vegas Vince / NRA Benefactor / USMC

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Conditor ... don't know where you found the Bhn chart but it is an excellent listing ... Thanks
    PS: Now printed will go on the loading room wall
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast