Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thinking about swaging.

Boolit Buddy

Thinking about swaging.

Hi all. I’m sure like many of you I’m wanting to produce my own projectiles for cartridges like 223. Being a savy caster I’ve gown used to creating my own for pistols, but run into the usual problems that come with casting for high velocity rifles. So, Im looking into swaging of 22lr cases to 224 bullets. Ive been reading a bit and am finding alot of technical info mostly in regards to issues that may arise during swaging. Does anyone have any sources they’d like to share on things like equipment, cost etc? Is there a way to ise my existing “O” type single stage press to swag?

Thatnks all.
    👍🏼

Boolit Master

go to btsnipers page in the vendor sponsor section, he has all that you need to know, be ready for sticker shock, swag dies aint cheap.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Corbin has a lot of his technical pubs on swaging available for reading on his web site. There should be a reprint of Ted Smith’s original treatise on bullet swaging, “The Bullet Swage Manual,” somewhere on this Forum.

A cast iron or steel O Press with compound linkage will iron rims off .22 cases, swage and seat cores, and form the points for .22 bullets pretty easily.

Boolit Master

Commercial swaging stuff will cost you a fortune. However, if you are mechanically inclined then Chapter 18 of Vickery's book "Advanced Gunsmithing" will tell you how to build it. You won't get a setup designed for a million rounds but you will get usable projectiles.

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Blackmon has about the cheapest complete package to make bullets out of 22lr. BTsniper here has all sorts of nice swaging dies and tools. Regardless of who’s tooling you used, it’s a large outlay of cash. Especially when you step beyond making bullets from 22lr cases.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for BT Sniper. The dies are not cheap but you will get a quality bullet from mfg that will stand by his product. I have his dies for .224, 40 SW and 44 mag. There is also other considerations, annealing source, soft lead and thousands of used cases. All work is done on my old rcbs RC press except de-riming that is done on his pneumatic press. I am totally satisfied with his dies and have no regrets at all. Good luck and enjoy your hobby/sport.

Boolit Master
    GONRA is very pleased with Corbin's CSP-2 (largest) hand press, dies, jackets, lead wire and advise.
    Also find lottsa fun making some of my own dies / tools.

Bottom line - to have the MOST fun swaging, recognize itsa LOONG TERM PROJECT!!!
    Needa LARGE press, decent screw cutting metal lathe, vertical milling machine, lottsa $$$$.

Boolit Master

I like John Ross' ideas about swaging:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-rimfire-brass