Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Loose primers

Boolit Master

Loose primers

This is going to be "old news" for a lot of you. I did about 30 minutes of scouring CB's for something close to what I've discovered about Winchester LRP's going into "CBC .500 S&W" brass. Started bench priming some CBC brass with Lee turret press using Win. LRP's and they dropped in way too easy. Anyway I only primed about 5 or 6 and decided to get the CCI-200's. Lo and behold, that familiar resistance was back so I used those after decapping the few I primed with the Winchester.

So then I measured both the Winchester and the CCI and sure enough there was a .001 difference in diameter. I DID test the Winchester with a Star-Line case and it fit snug. I seemed to remember somewhere I was reading that "CBC" brass in general have slightly bigger pockets. I don't take any chances with "anything" coming loose with the 500.

Winchester LRP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	238247

CCI-200

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	238248

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	238249
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master

CCI has always been my favorite primer. I just have fewer issues with them than any other.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing the pics of your measurements & showing what you found.

I have done the same thing in switching primers, due to the ease in seating for some types of primers, vs. some types of cases before.
    I do not use a lot of "new" un-used brass, but I do start out with what should be "once fired" brass & still find pockets in that brass of all types of mnfrs, to sometimes have a bit of leeway in size. Some being tighter than others, I have found a change up in primers often does the trick if I feel it necessary.

Seems to me that in one batch of S&B 45ACP cases, IIRC, that brass had tighter primer pockets for the primers I started out with, & so I changed primers to suit & for the primers to fit easier, but not loose. I do not recall what I changed to for primer mnfr, but I did find a difference in one type of SP primer to another, and the different primers fit better than the previous ones.

I did not measure the primers, but since I use CCI, Win., Federal, & S&B primers for the most part, (I try to buy on sale & currently do not use the different types for any other reasons, while trying to use what is in the load data when I can) using oldest lots first as I use them. The primer mnfr. I choose, if it is not in the load data, is just what I have pulled out of the storage grenade box, and if one was to fit differently, I would once again try to find a better match between case & primer.

Maybe sometime, if I get the chance & remember to do it, I will try to do the same measuring with all the different types of primers I use in all sizes & compare to what you have found so far. Just for knowing...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    That's interesting. I use almost nothing but Win primers and haven't noticed. I just pulled a box and tested several with my micrometer and they were all 0.210. Interestingly, though, I also noticed that some were not perfectly round, and the narrowest dimension on a couple was 0.2096. I don't have any with that "New" label though. Could it be that the "new" primers are smaller than the old ones??
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Hmmm,earlier, I did not notice that, "New" up in the corner, until ya pointed it out.

Mine are not "New" like that either, but I have not measured them yet either though...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I use CCI about 99% of the time unless there is a really good sale on Winchester. I don't use Federal, im not wild on their sideways packaging.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    That's interesting. I use almost nothing but Win primers and haven't noticed. I just pulled a box and tested several with my micrometer and they were all 0.210. Interestingly, though, I also noticed that some were not perfectly round, and the narrowest dimension on a couple was 0.2096. I don't have any with that "New" label though. Could it be that the "new" primers are smaller than the old ones??
    Good question but if my memory serves me right I didn't buy these "new", I always purchase my primers from a fellow who bought up a surplus years ago. I get 1000 for 20.00 a pop. Bought much powder also from him and never had any issues. Some of the powder dates back to the mid-90's. I've come to the conclusion that either a pocket can wore out, or it's just a minuscule bigger than another manufacturer. As I've said, the Winchester primer fit "snug" in a Star Line. Thanks for the input fellows!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp