WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lube size dies

Boolit Grand Master

Lube size dies

Is it common for someone to have two same size lube size dies????
    Picked up a tray (25) of dies and noticed 5 were doubles.
    Wondering if they were worn in some way, to need two of the same size.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have different weights and/or profiles of bullets in a single caliber with different lube groove setups multiple sizing dies of the same size would be convenient. I always hated plugging and unplugging the holes in a sizing die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have doubles of star dies, some of my molds cast boolits that have more than one lube groove and have dies set up for them. And most molds I use have one lube groove so I have dies with one set of lube holes drilled in them. Some people some one's collection that has passed on our have retired from casting or just found a good deal. Bill

Boolit Master
    Pin gauge will tell. The Lyman Dies I had were not exactly the size stamped. Or someone may have lapped one. I used to run 2 dies .0005" different for Water Dropped or Air Cooled.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Maybe it's as simple as they were into it a while and bought stuff that just added up to duplicates. Or had a couple sizers going set for different things.

Boolit Master

Sometimes you have to buy a package of stuff that includes things you don't want to get the things you do want.

That's how you end up with stuff to sell off, to off set the money you spent to get the things you did want. And sometimes you just never get around to selling that surplus off.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I'm with billyb. I have numerous Star sizers, and I have multiples of sizer dies of the same sizes for different bullets and settings. It just makes it easier for me.

And sometimes, a die is such a good buy, you just can't pass it up, or a die is given to you.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

25 dies
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    25 dies
    I've probably got that many, plus a couple dozen of the older base first top punches. Now I'll have to go count them, just to find out.......
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Oh yes i have doubles it a couple sizes only thing i can figure is i ordered not remembering already had them. Go figure.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've probably got that many, plus a couple dozen of the older base first top punches. Now I'll have to go count them, just to find out.......
    well, yeah...
    It's one thing to have 25 dies, it's another thing to 'pick up' 25 dies at a gunshow or where ever abunaitoo found them?

If I counted my Lyman dies, Star dies, and Lee style dies, I think I have 25ish? maybe?

As to abunaitoo's question, I have 4 or 5 Lyman 358 dies...just cause they came with different lubesizers I that bought. Oh, I also have a pair of 401 dies, I plan on opening one of them up to 402, just haven't done it yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Lube size dies

I understand w/ Star dies. I went the custom die route w/ only one row of holes and then have top punches w/ lock nuts for the different bullets. I don’t size multi lube groove rifle bullets in the Star so there’s no need for more than one row of holes.

I wish I could have bought twenty five at once and gotten it over with. Instead I bought a few here and there and slowly added to the collection. Truth be told if I did buy 25 at once I would have sold off what I didn’t need. Then bought a gun in a new caliber and I would have to buy dies like I had sold. So maybe not buying them all at once wasn’t such a bad thing after all

Boolit Grand Master
    Got them from the Gun Show this past weekend.
    Along with 12 molds.
    Two with handles.
    Total was $145
    Good deal????

Boolit Master
    Sometimes it's just a brain fart. Other times it's on purpose. I have a Lyman and RCBS .358 die, and I don't like the Lyman die. It does have more holes and is a PITA to deal with.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Got them from the Gun Show this past weekend.
    Along with 12 molds.
    Two with handles.
    Total was $145
    Good deal????
    So he was the other caster on the island and you had him over a barrel???
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Occasionally, you'll pick up a sizer with a die in it too.
    Now, this is not altogether bad. I had about 90 different sizers once and one winter. I cast a bunch of slugs and actually sized and measured what the size they produced was to four places. Amazing the different sizes you get from .358 dies. Took an engraver and scribed the actual size on top and it gave me a different array of choices when it came to sizing.
    Fellers, I've told you once on here and I'm telling you again. Whatever is stamped on a die by Lyman or RCBS or various other manufacturers that fit their sizers may or may not correspond to what you're getting sized to. Get you some slugs and check 'em out./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    So he was the other caster on the island and you had him over a barrel???
    I think he got them in a house clean out.
    He's not a caster.
    Just trying to unload them.