Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom dies

Boolit Buddy

Custom dies

Howdy guys. For the past few months I've been working on a project that holds a special place in my heart, as I am a big bore lover. I am building a super rifle chambered in the obscure wildcat dubbed "12 gauge from hell". Essentially you convert a 12 guage slug gun into a rifle by using bore diameter projectiles and slow rifle powder. The brass I am using is lathe turned 3.5" shells made by RMC. Lehigh defense is going to make me a 1085gr extreme defender in .729" which oughta be wicked out of this pea shooter.

Anyways, one of the guys that helped develop this cartridge has informed me that when he loaded his, he annealed the case mouth and just "neck" sized to 2 thousandths neck tension. He said he made his die by cutting up a 50 bmg die and hand lapped it to size.

That's a serious amount of work on a very expensive die as is. I really don't want to mess with all that and would much rather opt for a custom die to be made.

My question is, who out there is is able to do custom dies at reasonable rates with decent turn around times? Any info would be much appreciated. The sizing die is the only thing preventing me from loading a round and touching one off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114055_Messages.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	238237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114051_Messages.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	238238
    Here is the 3.5" brass with a 600 grain fury slug inserted (dummy round) as you can see, this is gonna be a bit of a handful

Name:	20190226_201505.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	238239

And here is the "rifle". It's an h&r ultra slug. I've installed a limbsaver magnum pad as well as added weight to try tame it somewhat. I've also removed the top rail for a peep sight and will have my Smith install a front blade when he lengthens the chamber.

Welcome to the forum.

For your project, you might call Dave at CH-4D, and tell him what you have in mind, and the specs. He's done some custom work in the past.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Check with Lathesmith on this site. He maybe can help.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Man
    Do you have a way to drill .... just thinking outside the box ....

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-thr...ar/i/G3582397/

Boolit Grand Master

I'll second Dave Davidson at CH4D - he makes dies for the 20mm cannon and larger. He can handle this.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome thanks guys. I looked at a couple places but they would not go past .50 caliber.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Let us know how it goes when you touch it off . I can tell you now my old shoulders wouldn't take it.

Boolit Buddy
    Will do. I plan on having a few videos of it and will post it up. Should be one heck of a rifle. 600 grains should produce 8000+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Definitely will be punishing in both ends

Boolit Master
    Have you ever looked at a MEC SUPER SIZER IN 12 GA?
    The Supersizer sizes with a collet that is adjustable.
    Just stand your case in one mouth first and see if you can squeeze it down.

The collet sizer is also included in MEC Size master loaders too.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I don't believe it'll be strong enough to size this thick brass. I'm almost 100% sure I am going to need a 50 bmg press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure I am going to need a 50 bmg press.
    Since you’re going to be talking to CH4D you should consider buying this press

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

Boolit Master

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114055_Messages.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	238237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190318-114051_Messages.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	238238
    Here is the 3.5" brass with a 600 grain fury slug inserted (dummy round) as you can see, this is gonna be a bit of a handful
    I thought stuff that looked like that was supposed to be crew served and mounted on a carriage!

Boolit Master
    It will not cost anything to try one. Since all you need to size is the case mouth not much force is needed.

I don't believe it'll be strong enough to size this thick brass. I'm almost 100% sure I am going to need a 50 bmg press.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    It'd be cheaper to buy one of Lee's 50 bmg dies and hone it out then have one custom made.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Sent dave an email. Looking at his caliber list, he offers a 12 gauge die (utilizes roll crimp which I don't want) and a 12 gauge rifle which uses a bushing die (definitely what I want). Sent an email asking if it would work and also asked about a seating die as well

Boolit Master

A word of caution for your build from the ATF website and the reason a lot of places won't go over 50 caliber.

2.1.8.2 Large caliber weapons.
    The second section of the definition states that any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or
    which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore diameter of more than one-half inch in diameter is a destructive device. This portion of the definition specifically excludes a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes. ATF has issued rulings classifying specific shotguns as destructive devices because they have a bore of more than one half inch in diameter and were found to not be particularly suitable for sporting purposes.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a question that has been asked and answered several times by people from the original thread for when it was developed. This does not fall under ATF regulations for 2 reasons.

1-it has a sporting use (big game hunting. See 700 Nitro Express)

2- it is still technically a 12 gauge shotgun. Even with the chamber lengthened to 3.5", it can still chamber a run of the mill 12 gauge slug from Walmart and fire it accurately. You could even shoot birdshot, but the pattern would be horrible in a rifled barrel.

On top of that, the original creators contacted the ATF with your questions and they stated no rules are broken.

Boolit Buddy
    Another benefit for this being still classified as a shotgun, I can legally use it on deer (not that I would lol)

Boolit Buddy
    The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 7684(2), 7685, or 7686 of title 10, United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again guys. Started a build thread if you wish to follow the build

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...46#post4606246

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast