WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 308 load with IMR4064

Here is the update.

Got to try the loads I had made up. 42.8gr & 43.1gr of IMR4064, along with 42.6gr & 42.9gr of H4895.

I got a decent grouping with them all. I am sure that part of it was me, but they all came in around 1.5" at 150yd.

The 42.8gr velocity avg was 2617fps.

The 43.1gr velocity avg was 2626fps. Which, lines up pretty darn close to what quickload was saying on that list that 30cal provided. Also, I think that the group with it would have been a better if I had not rushed the third shot. As in it probably would have been closer to the 1" mark. I would have worked in that area more, but decided to shoot the H4895 loads first.

The 42.6gr velocity avg was 2646fps. The group on it was a little more open and spread out(not the typical clover pattern) than I like.

The 42.9gr velocity avg was 2677fps. However, the group was 1.5" and two shots touching. At that point, seeing that I have about 50fps more velocity and nice group size, I decided to work with the H4895.

I loaded up 3 more, adjusted my scope, and shot another good group at 150yds which still showed great grouping and probably would have gone under 1" if I had not pulled the third shot again. This is the classic example of why 5 and 10 shot groups are the best for seeing true load groups.

By then I was running out of time, so I loaded up three more and shot them at 200yd. Nice clover pattern, top to bottom left and top to bottom right were 1.75" apart, and the two bottoms were 2.5" apart. Total avg velocity for all 42.9gr H4895 loads was 2676fps. That comes out just a little over what quickload was predicting.

So with all of that, looks like I am going to be switching over to H4895 for tweaking on it some more. I don't doubt that the IMR4064 would have been able to tweak to a good sub moa group, but it looks like I can get there with the H4895 and have better velocity - and I can finally have a powder that works great in at least two of my guns. That is a huge bonus to me.

I am very thankful to 30cal for providing the data. I would have never tried H4895 if I had not seen the quickload list posted.

Question, is the action bedded? Is the recoil lug bedded? before you spend money chasing powder and bullets and depth and such, eliminate the variables with the rifle itself. If bedded, are the bolts torqued correctly? Are you shooting off of a bipod? What type of stock is it? Bipods can torque stocks in a variable method to tweak and action. Once these variables are eliminated back off one grain and spend the easy money by trying multiple primer types with the same load. You may see an improvement in this alone. then work your powder to its potential. just my 2 cents.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

If you are looking to prepare yourself for hunting with the rifle, look for a bullet to match the game you are hunting. Push it at a repeatable velocity meaning low ES. Look for a temp stable powder such as Varget lit with a consistent primer like a Fed 210 and as listed from my previous post----prepare the rifle first, then prepare yourself to place the shot with practice from real world hunting scenarios. Won't be any benches in the Colorado hills. Put some kill zone size targets out at acceptable ranges and start practicing. You might find yourself more than satisfied with your results than you are with your bench method.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123