Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why shoot Pistols over 20yds

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Everyone can ignore my posts if they so desire. Bit let me tell you from experience that they are people in charge of clubs that due to their narrow mindedness will tey to squeeze out certain types of shooting by enacting rules with SUPPOSEDLY GOOD INTENTIONS for barious reasons.
    They know some will get mad and leave, start rarely coming to the range, let their memberships drop etc..
    It is a good idea to keep close watch on everyone that is in charge.
    If they dont pass the sniff test get them out of their position even if there has to be a special meeting of all the members.
    Limiting shooters just for some stupid reason of just a cover up.
    Just like limited pistol shooters to 20 yards.
    Look at how many stupid laws are made by politicians in the name of doing something "for our own good" to get people to believe in them and go along with them.
    Ask, when any new rules are,passed, is there any hidden agenda.
    What is behind, REALLY, with passing a rule to limit pistol shooters to 20 yards.
    What would really be the good in doing that?
    That should be the question.
    Maybe its time to do some house cleaning.
    Again Ive seen this happen. Experienced it myself. That is the reason I have made these posts.
    Be aware, very aware.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    Well, I don't ignore them, and IMO, you made some very good points.

There has to be a reason why changing the rules of the range is more important than dealing with the "scofflaws" that are not following the rules of the range. Punishing the good members by changing the rules of the range is letting the bad apples spoil the whole barrel for everyone. If anything, get rid of the "scofflaws" & you all will be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    My club is having some issues and starting to make more rules. Standard deal, people don’t follow the current rules, so let’s make more rules.
    So, simply tell them that they are doing the same thing as the Gun Control folks are doing & making more laws when they simply need to be Enforcing the Current Rules.

Adding more rules when they do not enforce the Current rules is really stupid.

It is like building a taller fence when the dog that has been getting out of the fenced in area it is kept in, even though it is escaping because folks keep leaving the gates to the fenced in area open instead of closed.

So changing or making more rules is not the answer to the issue of rule breaking.

Really Enforce the Current Rules. No matter Who breaks them...

Simple solution to the problem.

I can almost assure you that if some of the "rule breakers" are punished for their actions word will get around that it is not a good idea to break the rules.

If nothing else, the first or first few rule breakers will complain about the rules getting enforced for the first time in a while & that will get the word out if nothing else does. "Sacrificial lambs", for their rule breaking actions... They deserve it anyway...

G'Luck on convincing the "board" about this simple, "Enforce The Current Rules", concept. If they seem to balk about it, then there will likely be some other reason to make more rules than what appears to be the case.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Just stumbled on this old thread and figure I could give an update-
    Nothing has changed
    No new rules, but no real progress in positive change either that I know of. Then again I haven’t had much to do with the club this year.
    There was a new camera system installed, this one might actually work.

But there was another new hole in the pavilion roof this spring. I reported it to a designated board member. But he has given up hope himself.

I just go and shoot occasionally, fish some and camped once this year.
    I do need to go to a membership meeting soon to sponsor some friends.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Very interesting thread, have always shot pistols and revolvers at 100-300 yards when had opportunity. Taught son and grandson to do same, not difficult if a decent shot. As posted before, some folks need to read Elmer Keith’s books as a starter. Guess they have never fired a Real Nation Match Course certainly not using 3 pistols. Around here there are only indoor ranges a couple of clubs and 1 DNR range which is only 100 yards.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Just another reason why I like where I live. We have a public range. No RSO's. No on site managers of any type. Just ranges where you can set up and shoot. Rules are no trash left on the range when you leave and no glass targets. Yep, you could haul in a car to shoot at as long as you take it out when you leave. Las Cruces city parks department does a fantastic job of keeping up the target boards, benches and other stuff.

I really hate rules committees. They evolve into a personal control center for one or two individuals to force their will on everyone else, regardless of logic and always in the name of safety.

As to the original posted question, why can't you shoot rifles at the 20yd range and pistols at 500yd range? There is no difference on safety, ie, keep the weapons pointed in a safe direction and fire between the range markers. If a club can't enforce those simple rules they have no right to make more rules that won't be enforced. Backstop a problem, fix the backstop!

I might agree on having a rimfire vs centerfire range, but, a pistol range means you allow TC Contenders and Encores that shoot rifle cartridges, magnum revolvers that shoot loads that make my .223 look like a mouse gun. Oh, forgot, that means you can make even more rules!!! No magnums. No single shot pistols. Wow, this if fun making rules

Boolit Master
    We have some public use federal ranges here in the Cherokee National Forest. Sometimes they work well but the times that they don't aren't worth the risk. The president of our gun club was at one once and while down range setting up new targets had a person show up and start shooting down range.

The ranges at our gun club are only allowed to be used when there is an RSO present and the RSOs are volunteer positions. In fact I have the afternoon slot tomorrow from 2:00 to 6:00PM.
    Our club rules are common sense with a few thrown in regarding tracers and armor piercing bullets as well as cease fires when wildlife crosses the range. Amazingly, in the last 30 days, we've had deer, turkeys and even a bobcat cross the range during the day. Above all else, safety is the number one factor for our range and the RSO has the final say on the firing line.

As an RSO, I can go to the range during off hours any time that I like which makes picking up lead to cast even easier.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    From a training standpoint, skills developed which enable the shooter to engage more distant targets tend to enable shooters to engage those same targets more quickly when they are at shorter range. Part of it may be confidence-building, some of it may be motor-memory engrainment, and the rest is probably better investigated by persons better trained than I, in neurology. All I know is that those pistol targets, situated at beyond typical pistol ranges (let's arbitrarily call it 50 to 100 yards), when trained on assiduously, tend to improve students' speed and accuracy at shorter pistol ranges (with no authority but my own experiences, I'll call it 3 to 40 yards).
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    I read about half of this:

What YOU are capable of is likely not even close to what the average Joe/Jane can do with a pistol.
    Most "competitive" shooters are not the people that cause a safety issue at clubs.
    Ranges near built up areas have different issues than those in the boonies.
    Ranges can be built to be "safer" so that needs to be factored in.

Then there is the "political" issue. A club BOD made up of say Skeet shooters will have less interest in long range pistol shooters and their needs/desires. I have seen that happen.

Rowing against the current is exhausting. To the OP, if you are fighting this battle alone, it will not be easy and likely unsuccessful. Essentially, you are not that important!!! You need to get 10-15% of YOUR club to support your suggestions or it does not matter. Better yet, get a few like minded people on the BOD at the next club election.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    No RSO at all?
    There should be a work schedule of volunteers or mandatory hours you can serve. Even if it means sticking around for an extra hour to serve as RSO shouldn't be a big problem. No RSO and more than 3 shooters? No shooting allowed.
    The problem is the club grew too big too quickly without managing the growth or increasing need for organized safety. Time for an RSO policy or simply reduce the membership numbers, increase fees or leave.

This looks like the beginnings of a train wreck. If someone gets hurt or killed and there is no supervision, the club can be liable.
    I have belonged to three shooting clubs since 1994. None have had a range officer other than at meets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Why? Because they are effective. The practiced shooter can hit targets at ranges generally considered rifle distances.
    Texas Rangers found their new handguns were effective at 200 yards.
    Walter Walsh landed 230 gr hardballs from his GI1911 into enemy positions at 90 yds.
    Why not learn to extract every bit of ability from all tools?
    I've taken deer and small critters out to 50 yards after much practice.
    If we accept a 20 yard max for handguns, then most rifles won't shoot past 100.

Boolit Master

At my club you are your own RSO. At matches there are designated and trained RSO's.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    we used to do a form of practical pistol .targets ranged from 50 yards to 10 .improved your confidence and shooting.

Boolit Master

Most of my handgun shooting is at 50 yards or more. We have .22 pistol metallic silhouette shooting out to 100 yards. I shoot my SAA .45 colt at 50 for hunting practice. My contender is shot at 100 for practice and practical hunting in several different calibers. Very little of my handgun shooting is done at 25 yards or less. If I can hit consistently at 50 yards, I think I can hit at 7 - 20 yards rapid fire without much difficulty.

because it's fun, and good practice

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234