Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Casting for the 204rug

Casting for the 204rug

Just wanted to know if anyone cast for the 204Rug?
    I just got to thinking about the different calber to cast for and it seems like no one has talked about it.
    I also got to looking at moulds and seems like you ether need to make a custom or really size them down from .223/.224.

Boolit Master
    That would be a hard no in my book. I have cast for 22 caliber center fires before but anymore if it doesn't at least start with a 3 I don't bother.

You could machine a couple pieces of brass to take 209 shotgun primers and push a 20 caliber pellet into the neck if you wanted to plink at close range.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    One of the biggest down sides to casting for rifle is having to back off of the speed of the projectile. One of the biggest draws of the 204 is its projectile speed. Why you would limit a 204 to was is about half its normal velocity I have no idea, just grab a 22lr rifle at that point.

And no, you aren’t gonna size a 224 bullet down to .20X, you’ll just obliterate the bullet.

Boolit Master
    I would suspect that you would have to make your own jackets and stick in a length of lead wire and then swage the bullets for something this small. I remember some guys recycling 22 rim fire cases to make 22 bullets before. Plus for some of the tiny bullet pest control rifles in .10, .12, .14 calibers, they were making their own jacketed bullets. But for straight cast lead bullets, the really high muzzle velocity would cause serious leading problems for the barrel. Hummm, maybe a coating of some sort, like powder coating or something would work.

Boolit Master
    If you're successful, you might get a job as a gun writer. I'm old enough to remember when Mike Venturino got his start by writing an article about cast bullets in 22 center fires.

Ok thanks it just one of those brain farts you know and with my spelling I no writer lol

Moderator Emeritus

Also design a tool to make 20 cal gc's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I would be interested also, I shoot several dozen different calibers that weren't designed for slow lead boolits. They generally are a hoot to take to the range.

I've got a Sheridan Silver Streak, may have to give it a try with air gun pellets.

Don't have a clue where to start. 1 grain Bullseye? Just think, 7000 rounds per pound of powder

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Casting for the 204rug

I actually bought a group buy mould for .20 cal planning on getting a Remington 591/2 in 5mm Mag converting to 5mm Craig (centerfire). I gotta say the. Holes are tiny!
    Maybe I should try it in my Sheridan blue streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 16” upper for my AR in 204 but I was lucky enough to buy 36grn a max on blemish about 7 years ago for 3.99$/100 so I bought all mid way had left I still think I have 2-3k left

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I would be interested also, I shoot several dozen different calibers that weren't designed for slow lead boolits. They generally are a hoot to take to the range.

I've got a Sheridan Silver Streak, may have to give it a try with air gun pellets.

Don't have a clue where to start. 1 grain Bullseye? Just think, 7000 rounds per pound of powder
    I was thinking that maybe powder coated bullets or some other coating might work too. Humm, maybe paper patching, albeit quite labor intensive. yeah I was thinking 1 grain of Bullseye or equivalent to start too. Maybe Trailboss too. Now then I don't know if the chronigraphs will work with little tiny bullets though. I never tried with with a LabRadar unit either.

But yes, one could likely just use a .177 air rifle at this point. One point about the ultra small calibers was noise. The .10, .12, .14 calibers don't make much noise when fired, But these tiny bullets can go out past 50 yards really well.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-19-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Grand Master
    personally I wouldn't handicap the 204
    with slowing it down to shoot cast
    I tried that with the 220 swift and it seems
    like I was cutting the cartridge way to short in doing so
    ymmv
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Bet you get a lot of those bullets from a 10 lb pot LOL.
    Im sure it can be done and would be a great plinking small game load. One reason to do this would be to lower throat erosion / wear the light cast loads would greatly extend this, and make the rifle more versatile.
    I have done 22 hornet 222 rem 218 bee 22-250 ss3 and 220 swift with 22 cal pellets for light plinking pest loads around buildings and dwellings. Simple to do thumb seat the pellt in the case ( smaller cases hornet bee 222 you may have to seat the pellet skirt out as the primer may expand it to tightly and stick the pellet). Loaded with just a primer no powder they duplicate a decent pellet gun velocity and accuracy wise. Very quiet and accurate short range makes for a lot of fun. These can be shot in a basement or indoors with little for trap or noise control. I used standard rifle primers for these. I also used a single case and pellets to test primers for consistency by firing over a chronograph.

Very interested in deed with just the primers you know what challenge accepted! I will start this test just for fun and see where it goes but it will have to be after my 357 stuff.

Boolit Master
    Do it and report back. For my circumstances I will just do jacketed in my 204 and be happy. I have drawn a line at my 25 caliber stuff as a minimum caliber to cast for, but what do I know? ..... I am just an old fuddy duddy! LOL!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Will do it will just be for fun too see what I can get away with mite be a good time for some zinc maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I was thinking that maybe powder coated bullets or some other coating might work too. Humm, maybe paper patching, albeit quite labor intensive. yeah I was thinking 1 grain of Bullseye or equivalent to start too. Maybe Trailboss too. Now then I don't know if the chronigraphs will work with little tiny bullets though. I never tried with with a LabRadar unit either.

But yes, one could likely just use a .177 air rifle at this point. One point about the ultra small calibers was noise. The .10, .12, .14 calibers don't make much noise when fired, But these tiny bullets can go out past 50 yards really well.
    Didn't think about lube, I suspect this is a perfect application for Ben's liquid lube. When I get the 83 other projects finished I'll give it a try. If I can still remember this

Tried H&N pellets, not enough neck tension, wonder if Lee's collet crimp tool would help? Don't have one, may have to waste a few bucks just to try.

Again the mouse fart loads--think 4 grains of clays in a 45-70--are just to much fun.

Just when the buddies are starting to wise-crack about a misfire the dinger rings @ 200 yards.

Just have to hold 10-12 feet over it

Banned

Cast in .22 centerfires is easy enough, I only shoot cast in .22 Hornet and it's a lot of fun.

Not gonna buy a .204 Ruger, but have a .17 HMR barrel for my Contender carbine I have been pondering having chambered to .17 Hornet. If I do, I'll be trying .177 pellets with a primer. I coach an air rifle team and we're required to use lead free pellets. The ones we use are basically pure tin and are a lot harder and stronger than the lead ones. I think they'd work better than the lead ones.

I have a couple of the older Sheridans and it seems to me like the original 5mm pellets they made for them were solid rather than having a hollow skirt like most do now. I don't know if those are still available but they might be better than the hollow skirted ones if you decide to try them in your .204.