Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to casting problems

Boolit Mold
    I am using the same brass. It is a mixture of range brass as well. With that case expander would I be placing that after my powder die on the dillon 650? Sorry I just got the 650. Upgraded from the Lee Pro 1000.

Boolit Master
    this aint makin sense, you sure your measuring properly? were the bullets actually sizing when you put them through the .357 sizer? it would be obvious if the die was doing nothing

Boolit Mold
    I know right. When sizing I feel resistance on some bullets when pushing through the die. What is the proper way to measure? Maybe I am measuring incorrectly.

Boolit Master
    well you could either have calipers that measure thousandths, make sure there zeroed, measure something of known diameter like a jacketed bullet for example to check, measure with the "flats" not the sharp portion on calipers and make sure contact surfaces are clean.

other common measuring tool is a vernier micrometer that can measure in tenths of a thousandth, which is better but less common and slightly harder to use, most of the same things apply tho, if you have or get one of those you can look up how to measure properly with it, would be better than I can explain.

Boolit Mold
    I'll give that a try. I'm using some harbor freight calipers.

As stated above, invest in a micrometer, you will save time and get less problems

Boolit Master
    FWIW the CZ 85 I had slugged .358. Using range lead and the Lee 120gr TC mold I used my .357 sizing die and Alox 50/50 or XLOX 2500 and did not have leading issues. Shot in a Glock with an aftermarket barrel did not lead either. Don't recall what the aftermarket barrel slugged. My range lead varied a bit in hardness but was in the 10-11 BHN range. The TC bullet was accurate but the Lee 125 2R did not shoot worth a ****, all pover as well as some hits sideways in the target. These were moderate loads, don't recall what powder or load was .

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for that info, I will be trying the TC bullet here soon. I just got smokes powder in the mail today, and I tried coating some boolits. All I can say is wow what a difference compared to the harbor freight boolits.

Boolit Mold
    yes and no, some were and weren't. I am going to try sizing some boolits that I just coated with smokes powder. They are measuring .358-.359

Boolit Mold
    So just an update. I slugged my Barrell successful y today. My kkm Glock 34 measures .356, my cz 75 sp01 measures .357. I made a few dummy rounds with various oal and ran into a new challenge. The rounds will now not pass the plunk test or case guage test. However what was interesting was I tried placing the dummy round I made with my Dillon press and dies and ran the made dummy round in my Lee crimp/ seating die. After which the bullets passed the plunk test fine with both .357 or .358 boolits. So I tried placing the Lee die on my Dillon but I don't think it is long enough as it didn't seem to work. So now I'm wondering if I need a different die. Also I got some powder coat from smoke on the forums here and that made a huge difference compared to my boolits with the harbor freight PC. The saga continues...

Boolit Master

Pull one of those bullets from the Lee die. Make sure they're not being swaged down.

I'm in the same boat. The boolits I want to use, NOE ELCO and MP 147 RN won't gauge or plunk if I use the right size boolit. My Canik measures .356

I have found a few boolits that will work in the .357/.358 size. The NOE 128 gr RN is the leading favorite due to the shape of the nose.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Mold
    I'll give that a try. I've pulled a few and it seemed fine. The only thing that has changed aside from the size of the boolits is got the double alpha powder expander. I'm wondering if I'm flaring too much, or maybe a need a Lee crimp die, or put a Lee sizing die. I did not have this issue with the Dillon dies before the double alpha expander and the .358 boolits. So I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by g88ghost View Post
    I'll give that a try. I've pulled a few and it seemed fine. The only thing that has changed aside from the size of the boolits is got the double alpha powder expander. I'm wondering if I'm flaring too much, or maybe a need a Lee crimp die, or put a Lee sizing die. I did not have this issue with the Dillon dies before the double alpha expander and the .358 boolits. So I wonder.
    A 0.358" bullet in some chambers is going to be a problem. The LFCD may "fix" it by sizing the bullet down in the case but then it will be smaller than you like & accuracy/leading issues may arise. I size all my 9mm to 0.357" to shoot in multiple guns using mixed brass. I have never had leading or accuracy issues going this route.
    My fav 9mm mold is a 147gr Redding. It has a stepped round nose so going to a larger size doesn't affect seating in bbls with short throats.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Mold
    I am going to try the magic marker method today. I encountered the same issue with the .357 bullets as well

Boolit Mold
    Just want to thank everyone for all their help and input. I conducted the magic marker test and found that I needed to adjust my Dillon crimp. After getting that adjusted I'm having very good results on the plunk test. Actually was able to make up a few different loads with different boolits and oal to test tomorrow.

Boolit Master

I feel sorry for you guys. I've been casting & loading for 9mm for my whole life. My DAD worked it all out by the time I was born. The first case I ever primed was a Norma 9mm with Lyman Tong tool.

I cast from pure Linotype for all semi-auto Handguns. I size to .356 for 9mm and use an ancient C&H taper crimp die. I lube with WLL BAC.
    I haven't tried Powder Coat for semi-auto handguns yet.
    Just revolvers so far.

I know most will disagree on Linotype, but it does work for me. And I have a lot of it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Burnt Fingers - I have the same gun. The barrel needs a lead, the transition from chamber to rifling is so abrupt it shaves the bullet. Doug Guy usta do this but told me he can't do hardened barrels any more. Right now I'm just shooting J's.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Mold
    I made it to the range yesterday and was able to test some loads. I tried several combos consisting of 3.3gr of titegroup with a Lee 125 2r rn, oal set to 1.1, as well as same setup with 3.8gr of titegroup. I also test 3.3gr of titegroup with the Lee 120 tc, with oal set at 1.05, also tried 3.8gr of titegroup. All boolits sized to .358. I experienced no leading what so ever, and was really impressed with the accuracy of the rounds, especially the 120 tc round. The wife and I like the 3.3gr of titegroup a but better but I may up the charge slightly to get a better power factor for when we shoot some steel matches.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Burnt Fingers - I have the same gun. The barrel needs a lead, the transition from chamber to rifling is so abrupt it shaves the bullet. Doug Guy usta do this but told me he can't do hardened barrels any more. Right now I'm just shooting J's.
    You are right. I thought I had beaten the leading bug. I was wrong.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    You are right. I thought I had beaten the leading bug. I was wrong.
    You're getting there though. Process of illumination.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast