Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: cap for Lyman 55 measure

Boolit Master

cap for Lyman 55 measure

Has anyone come across something that serves as an acceptable cap for a Lyman 55 powder measure?

I use a Butler Creek Objective lens cover on one of mine

Vendor Sponsor

I have a few black metal ones that came with the older model. ...the kind of cap that fit around the top and outside. I made Walnut caps and don't need them. PM me and I will gift you one if you want it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

if memory serves me right, a freeze plug from an engine works, cant remember the part number but you might take the cylinder by a auto parts store and try a few.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the ends from shipping tubes in bind. I have made them from wood metal and epoxy. A copper end cap might be found that would fit and work. I have made simple moulds from clay and then poured with epoxy. Metallic tape can be taped to itself and used to make a quick cap.

Epoxy method:
    Take a length of the metallic tap twice as long as 2 warps around the hopper is and carefully fold 1 wrap length over on itself ( a little over lap and a small length of sticky left helps a lot)
    Wrap this around hopper tube square and use the sticky tail to hold in place
    Cut strips of this tape 1/4"-3/8" wide the length of the sides and across it. Work around the formed sides covering the top. I would place 1 strip the second 90* and then continue to split the gaps till covered
    Cut a disc of poster board or thin card board and press inside to cover and seal "sticky" off

Epoxy method:

Form a block of clay big enough for the cap.
    Lightly push the top of hopper into surface, this gives a ring for size.
    Carefully cut the groove around the out side of the ring in the clay to desired depth
    Here you can go 2 ways one remove clay from top of center boss 1/8" or so being careful not to deform it or the ring.
    form a ring of clay 1/8" tall around outside ring. Fill with epoxy and let cure. the boss in the middle forms the hollow cap section the outside of ring is the outside of the cap and the raised section forms the top portion. Thinner epoxies with a longer Set/cure time allow air bubble to escape and for it to flow fill the mould.

Wood:
    Easiest is with a wood lathe turn and form the outside of the cap. With a hole saw and no center drill or stud cut to desired depth and remove core polish radius and deburr. Apply finish. these can be done and look very nice when done from good hard wood
    In a drill press cut the hopper size with hole saw to depth on end of board and then cut out with the bigger hole saw. Mount on bolt and polish radius and deburr. remove center with a chisel. Finish and plug center hole with a dowel.
    In these 2 if the hole saw cuts a wide enough groove to clear inside and outside of hopper the center can be left in place

How about the proper size pvc pipe end cap from a plumbing supply store.

Boolit Master
    Yes ,not only are the lids a 2" pipe cap,but are marked as such.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cyclone View Post
    I use a Butler Creek Objective lens cover on one of mine
    I like this idea. The flip open option would be quicker as well.

Do you or some one you know use much prescription or OTC medicines? I'm one of those people.
    For something like that I would look through my assortment of empty bottles for one that has a cap the right size or the bottle itself. Cut the bottom of the bottle off long enough so it sets over the hopper.
    I have several measures. I use cut off bottles for powder baffles. Find a bottle that is a snug slip fit in the hopper. Cut it off about an inch high. Drill a couple 1/4" holes out near the edge. Drop in hopper. The cut off bottle supports the weight of most of the powder. Cheapest powder baffle I ever used.
    Leo

Banned
    A Hodgen powder bottle cap works fine. BUT if you have a 55 and want great performance, buy the weighted disc/rod/disc the guy sells on Ebay. He also makes them for RCBS. I can't post a link but if you enter "powder measure weight" in the search block there they are for 25 bucks. One will serve all your Lyman 55 measures.