MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 429184

Lyman 429184

When I got into casting a few years ago I bought a box ful of assorted items. Among them were 4 single cavity Lyman/ideal si gel cavity molds. Three i use and really like other then they are single cavity. The fourth is a single cavity 429184 that is a hollow point mold with no pins. Based on my research it looks like it was a round nose design for the Russian and special. I would like to use it but never have messed with a hollow point mold. I don’t want to take it to shop and take the welder or torch to it. Not sure what to do with it. Maybe make a pin for a flat point design?? Would be used in 44 mag pistol. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might want to trade it for something you else. That hp mold is on the rare side, stopped listing them in their catalogs in the 1930's?. My 1940 ideal handbook #34 does not have that mold listed in the regular section or the "special order" section either.

If I remember correctly that 429184 doesn't have a true crimp groove, more like an indentation/small line. That leaves the small lip on the front drive band for a crimp. That bullet also has a short body and a long bore riding nose. Which means it's a good bullet design for a low pressured (no bullet setback or jump) low velocity round like the 44 Russian. The 44mag, not so much.

FWIW:
    I wouldn't alter that mold, someone on this website that collects molds would want it. Post a couple pics and see what happens

Moderator Emeritus

Imho, Forrest r is 100% dead on, in his reply. Only thing I might add is that a few years ago I purchased, on this site, a Lyman h.p. mould which was offered sans the pin. I had a couple of pins from moulds I already had, so I voiced a "yippee!" at getting quite the deal. However -- -- none of my pins were of the correct size. Lamenting in den, a "light bulb lit" as my eyes fixated on a drill stand I have with #1 through #60 numbered drills! After but a few trial and error "fits", I found one bit which was the perfect size. To be OCD, I hand drilled the cutting tip into a cork from a wine bottle, and gave it a try. My thought was, too, to later grind the drill bit insertion to a point, but -- I love the depression made just the way it came out!
    Not knowing your tool-supply arsenal -- if you do not have numbered drill bits, most hardware chain stores stock them, albeit you often times need to ask. If it were me, I'd go to store with mould in hand, and make your selection right there. Annnd -- you'll end up with an awesome mould for roughly two dollars more!
    Good luck!
    geo

Thanks for the responses. I’ve thought about trading it but didn’t know if anyone would want it. I could drill it out easy enough and modify it but I don’t want to if it’s going to be something I don’t use much. I’ll look at it for a few days and decide what I want to do.

Should be either a .140" whole or a 156" hole

Boolit Buddy
    Just wondering, but is it an original Ideal designed hollow point mould or perhaps later modified to a HP version, by a machinist. I have an original 429184 SC, in it's RN configuration, but have never seen or heard of an HP version. I collect/ accumulate older, uncommon/odd variety moulds and if it's an original Ideal, that is a nice find. You could keep an eye out for a factory pin or have one made at www.hollowpointmold.com - He could make you a plug style pin to keep it a RN profile and/or an HP pin as well. Good luck Bill in MA

Moderator Emeritus

Back in the day Ideal would make any mold a HP.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Send it to Erik. He does great work, very reasonably.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think it would take a lot to turn up a set of pins to fit it a hollow point, Flat Point, and a round nose in the original bullets style. These can be made to work with out modifying the blocks. I believe lyman hollow point blocks use a shoulder bolt for the latch and an e-clop on the pin to lock it in place, so making the pins would require turning them to correct size and shape then cutting the groove on location with a parting tool or grooving tool. add a shank for a wood handle and you have them.

Boolit Master
    Older Lyman hollow point pins have a pin projecting from the side that locks under the shoulder bolt.Current production have the e-clip.