Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: shotmaker instructions and trouble shooting

Boolit Mold

shotmaker instructions and trouble shooting

I just made a few nozzles, they are not as easy as it sounds.
    I made 2 nozzles with .020 holes and one nozzle with a.024 hole and 10 with .040 holes. The smaller nozzles broke bits on every other nozzle. So im making a smaller shotmaker than i thought . Ive seen some instructions around that also included alot of indepth trouble shooting on making shot, but i cant seem to find it.

Boolit Man
    Search for 'shotmaster shotmaker' on this forum. Lots of useful info posted in its instruction manual.

Boolit Master

I have the shot maker shown in the picture below.

I will tell you, the nozzles for that unit are made completely different than any sold on the market today. I have purchased other nozzles to try, they perform OK, but the original nozzle design for this unit makes much better shot than the others I've tried.

Trick for drilling the small nozzle holes.
    - drill the back hole 1st
    - heat the bolt up and fill with lead
    - drill small hole into the lead (use a mill with a micro-feed drill chuck)

The lead will support the small drill upon break-through from the steel bolt into original drilled back hole. The lead also keeps the holes from having burrs.

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 05-03-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitsinhedges View Post
    Search for 'shotmaster shotmaker' on this forum. Lots of useful info posted in its instruction manual.
    UPDATE today May 2. I thought what I posted below was deleted during the great Photo Bucket Purge, but I just found it all today.....oops....posted by 45nut for smkummer long time ago in March 2008.

astboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?27239-Just-obtained-Shotmaster-shotmaker

....oh well, can't hurt to post it again.....Now that I know where the instructions and such came from, thanks, smkummer!

BTW, you can click these thumbnails and see bigger pictures, and right click them and save them to your computer.

Below: Shannon's Shotmaster Shotmaker Instructions from Manufacturer (from smkummer):

Attachment 240999Attachment 241000Attachment 241001Attachment 241002

Below, article on using this tool (also originally from smkummer):

Attachment 241003Attachment 241004Attachment 241005Attachment 241006Attachment 241007Attachment 241008

Pictures below: First three pictures are of my shotmaker. The last two are smkummer's shotmaker.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-04-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Boolit Master

GWS

Do you own a Shannon Shotmaker ?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Yes, the one in the first three pictures, but I have not used it......I'm of the Walmart for trap shooting variety. What I don't own yet is a MEC.

My friend, who gave me the shot maker, gave me the stick of lead (probably linotype) too. I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with that either. I have 3 big disks of Plumbers lead (yes I'm that old), a few small ingots of lead poured into Lyman Molds (also given me), and maybe 50 lbs of rolled up lead I took out of a doctor's office remodel. (I'm a building contractor)

My experience in reloading is non-shotgun......I use mostly RCBS stuff (Rock Chucker,40 years; Pro 2000, 6 years, Pro Chucker 7, 1 year.) My brother is an inexperienced Dillon guy....I helped him set up his 650.

Why am I posting? Where else do you start if you own one of these tools.....I'm already late 2 years. Besides, it apears you guys lost the pictures you once had of the directions....and I thought I ought to share where it would do someone some good.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master

Never to late to start playing ....

I too buy all of my trap shooting shells from Walmart, I can't load shotshells for less than $23 a hundred, especially if my time is worth anything.

Did you get any spare nozzles with your shot maker?

When you decide to set this up and run it, follow the instructions and you'll be fine. COWW or LINO will work fine, plumber lead won't yield the best results, but it will still break the clays...

PM me if you have any questions.

Scott
    Scott

No spare nozzles, no "frying pan with coolant reclaiming tube.

Only 2 questions up front: What's the best way to cut that huge piece of Lino ....., and can I assume I can mix Lino into the plumbers lead to make it hard enough, yes?

(I know the lino was made to "hang" into a heated vat, but I can't see that in my future.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    No spare nozzles, no "frying pan with coolant reclaiming tube.

Only 2 questions up front: What's the best way to cut that huge piece of Lino ....., and can I assume I can mix Lino into the plumbers lead to make it hard enough, yes?

(I know the lino was made to "hang" into a heated vat, but I can't see that in my future.)
    You can chop it in half with an ax, or clamp it in a vise and break a piece of with a hammer.

check here for mixing ratio with your pure lead.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Scott
    Scott

Boolit Master

How to cut it depends on the size of the chunk. For really big stuff, I cut it with a good propane torch or with MAP gas. I cut it right on top of an ingot mold so the "drips" go right into the mold.

Thanks gentlemen! That's 3 ways I wasn't thinking about.....thanks! Appears I need to go find a few ingot molds. All I could think of was a band saw or a steel chop saw.....and both are lousy ideas.....I mosty cut wood and/or steel.

And Scott, thanks for the link!