Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Pewter 93% Zinc, 4% Aluminum, and 3% Copper

Boolit Master

Pewter 93% Zinc, 4% Aluminum, and 3% Copper

I was cruising GL today and found a Lyman Casting Furnace, Sand and Pewter $25 came with 10 pounds of lead-free pewter. Wow what a bargain! So I went to Rotometals and realized it must be Zinc Based Pewter. 93% Zinc, 4% Aluminum, and 3% Copper. The melted alloy in the pot looked like oatmeal. Just a warning for you Pewter hunters. Just because it's pewter doesn't mean it's tin.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/...824736440.html

https://www.rotometals.com/zinc-based-pewter/

Boolit Master

That's probably sand from reject castings floating on top of the mix. Very doubtful a home hobbyist could cast gears like that out of a zinc based alloy. I'd buy it.

Banned

Not hard to tell the difference between real pewter and zinc, completely different look, feel and especially sound when you tap it with a piece of metal. It also melts easily which zinc does not.

Boolit Master
    Did those gears have a PEWTER touchmark? I've seen Zamack on stuff that looked like pewter but didn't bend or feel heay enough to be Pewter.

Wilton calls their stuff pewter too.

Boolit Master
    I got a reply the pewter is 95% tin 5% antimony. Essentially 95/5 solder. We will make arrangements to pick it up. It's a great deal!
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-18-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's an absolutely killer deal, nice find.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad that wasn't "oatmeal" in the pot in the picture. I've had good alloys have a bit of that appearance when cooled in the mold or pot. I've had clean alloy have a nasty looking surface when first melted, that would disappear with sawdust and/or wax treatment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Did those gears have a PEWTER touchmark? I've seen Zamack on stuff that looked like pewter but didn't bend or feel heay enough to be Pewter.

Wilton calls their stuff pewter too.
    The gears are what they casted for the art project. The pewter is 95% tin 5% antimony. Essentially 95/5 solder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    The gears are what they casted for the art project. The pewter is 95% tin 5% antimony. Essentially 95/5 solder.
    That's great!

Boolit Master
    Well I picked up the Stuff in the ad, paid the $25. Turns out he was sponsored by a lead free plumbing fitting company & that's how he got the 10lbs of 95/5 solder as he didn't want to work with any lead alloy. Also saw a newly opened Goodwill store across the street so we went in to check for some pewter hoping they stocked the new store well. I did pretty good I got some pewter and a mini-muffin pan for less than $20.

Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-24-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Be sure to check for any collector value on that pewter ware!

Boolit Master

I estimate the weight of the pewter objects at 5#. Am I close?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Be sure to check for any collector value on that pewter ware!
    How would you go about checking that value?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    How would you go about checking that value?
    Compare on fleabay.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I think they were about 6lbs.

ebay prices for SOLD items, not the asking prices. That pot, creamer and sugar dish do look like a matched set. I do a lookup online to try and establish a value. Then weigh items. I can then hit up the local antique shops or barns to see what the wholesale market price the shop or vendors will pay. Sometimes it can be more than that items weight in tin is worth. Other times not.

I'm not short of tin so if the antique shop will give me $12 for $8 worth of tin I'm happy to take it. If I needed the tin I wouldn't bother.

I have had at least a few items that were worth a good deal more than their weight in tin. Nothing stunning in value but certainly worth selling as antique (or keeping) rather than making into a puddle. Some members have found items worth many times their tin value. You have to do some checking. That tea pot, sugar & creamer pot if they match might fetch a decent price from an antique shop, don't forget they don't pay the "value" they pay around 1/2 or so of the eBay value. They have to make a buck on selling it same as you do. Might get more than 1/2 retail value if it is a collectable or desirable item, less if it is a common item.

Now all you need is a Lyman "Little Dipper" casting ladle and you will be all set for some serious bullet casting.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat