Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working Bulls only

Boolit Master
    Well I have a TI Tracker in 41 Mag. It was brutal to my knuckle with the ribbed grio, a solid grip made it almost pleasant. What do you expect with a 22 ounce 41 Mag! Actually it is as accurate as I can see now, 2.5 inches at 25 is about all I can do with any open sighted handgun. I like it, kinda interesting that it seems to double in weight when I drop in 5 loads of 235 grain cast!
    Also have a TCP, more accurate than I would have thought, coke cans at 20 yards are 80% hits. So light it is really easy to flub one, but thats it's job, small and light. One of only 2 plastic pistols I own. Other is a Karh 45.
    I like the old Rossi I found, a m63 impersonator, and as accurate as the M63 I foolishly traded off. Also have a nice M69 3 inch in 32SWL. Haven't had much time to play with it but it seems solid and sights are "on" with 100gr cast. Both were built before Taurus ownership, I believe.
    Wife carries a M85 and it is reliable and a decent shooter. Haven't done any real accuracy testing, but seems comparable to my Smith M36.
    Overall I can't complain, and the 22 and 41 make me grin!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I bought a used M66 back in the early 90s that didn't give me any trouble. 6" .357 magnum felt nice in the hand and shot well for me.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m jealous of the Ti 41. I looked years ago for one and never saw one locally. Never looked on gunbroker or similar as was years ago. Missed out. I was able to get me a Smith 357PD but the Taurus was a bit smaller and lighter. Perfect for a hiking companion.

Boolit Master
    I've had two. 805 and 85. The 805 did not like a steady diet of magnums, it would loosen screws, no matter how much loctite I used. But, I used .38 loads for practice so didn't matter. It was my first CCW pistol. The 85 I got for the wife to CC but she decided she liked autos better. I carried it for a bit. Really nice little pistol, especially with the rosewood grips on it.

FWIW, I bought both of these because the triggers were almost as nice as my Python.

Brother in law still carries the 805 but the 85 was sold when I changed to 9mm and .45 for carry.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Taurus .38 and .357 wheelguns get alot of police and military use south of the border, so I would say they hold them to higher standards. I am planning to add a new 856 to the battery at some point.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    My list of Taurus revolvers is: Model 731 in 32 Magnum; Model 85, Model 82 from 1976, Model 441 from 1993, model 425 from 2011, model 44C from 2013. They all shoot hand loads, they only one that ever fired a factory round is the 425. All hand loads are hand cast boolit. I have never suffered a failure of any kind in any of them. The Model 82 and the 441 were used when I got them. I've never owned or fired a Taurus semi auto, I can say that about just about every company built semi auto. Say "good night" Gracie!!!
    I forgot about the 605 in 357.
    Last edited by Guesser; 03-20-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Only Taurus I own is a Model 94 .22lr. The spring work is very heavy, otherwise it has been a solid car gun for my wife.

Now I think of it, I do have a Wolff spring set for it, I should swap them out and see if we can't get a decent trigger pull in DA
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

My wife's EDC for years was a Taurus 85 .38 Ultralight. It shot left with all ammo but still grouped well. Never a bobble; she traded it for a 9mm Shield and she's happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I like Taurus too. My first was a PT101 that I used to practice with for quals when I was in the Marines. It was .40 cal and the safety was a bit different from the Beretta, but I couldn't afford a genuine Beretta at the time. I also learned to reload with that gun. Lets just say it ate more than it's fair share of HOT reloads without complaint. Some of the milder hot loads intentional some of the hotter ones unintentional, but without complaint just the same. A few years later and a bit more income and Taurus introduces the Raging Bull in .454. That one with an 8" barrel came home with me along with a Leopold 2X pistol scope. Has never seen a round of factory ammo. Most of the reloading data for it at the time was too hot for my chambers even with starting loads. Had to pound out quite a few cylinders of empty's by hammering the ejector rod against the wood bench. Even with all tha it has never given me a problem and I even took a nice doe with a 250 XTP over H110 at about 25yds. The numbers say it's about the same as a .30-30, but I've never seen a .30-30 leave a hole like that... 1 1/2" entrance on the ribcage and 7/8" exit. Then my wife bought a PT111 because she liked the way it fit her hand better than anything else in the shop and it's been trouble free. It resides with her "delicates".

My last is a model 66. It didn't start out quite as well. I picked it up from the shop and took it to the range where the cylinder would bind (when loaded) as it turned. I thought the center bore was not square. Took it back to the shop the next day. Shop called Taurus and the rep said "how long has he owned it" "oh...about 20 hours". Fedex picked it up the next day prepaid. They did a trigger job, fine tuned the timing, whatever else you can do to a revolver to make it shoot better, (I had the list, but not any more), but they didn't replace the cylinder. Picked it up and took it to the range. WOW, the trigger is awesome, but the cylinder still binds. It actually cut into the case heads when it gets to the same cylinder every time no matter what ammo I used. Took it back again same day. This time it came back with an obviously used cylinder (not the one it came with), but it is square and does not bind. It is more accurate as I can possibly shoot it. Have even taken it to shoot IDPA a couple of times ("Did you have 7 rds?" "7? What do you mean? It's a 6 shooter." Bwahaha).

I had a Taurus Tracker model 627 in 357 mag for several years, that was a superb shooter. 6" barrel and ported from the factory. Very easy to shoot well.
    For some reason I traded it off and I don't even remember what I traded it for.

Boolit Master
    I like my taurus wheel guns alot! I bought a 22 that is identical to my 357 and it seemed to be a problem child till I took it apart and cleaned it good and now it works flawless. I really like em and aint changing!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I have the Taurus PT809 i love that gun. It was my first gun i bought. The first gun i reloaded and cast for. I bought a Taurus G2 after shooting my brothers. Its the only compact i have ever liked. I was seriously eyeing a the Tracker or Raging Bull in .357 Mag, but a Black Hawk deal kind of fell in my lap i couldn't pass on. Taurus has my trust.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Old thread bump for the benefit of the Bull doubters among us.

Love my 20+ yr old 6.5” Raging Bull 444
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFCD9679-B332-47D3-B6C2-C0B6B1CFE7C9.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	270526

Boolit Buddy

Test - Bottom Gun - 41 Mag Titanium tracker

Boolit Master
    .17 HMR Tracker 8" bbl, 2.5 x scope. No valid reason, it's just different.
    454 Raging Bull, 6" bbl - tack driver. Cannon that is fun to shoot. I would kill to get those grips on my 500 Smith.
    Buddy has a 1911 38 super Taurus, just a hoot to shoot.
    Saw a steel Tracker in 41 Mag at gun show today - only thing that stopped the buy was the price; $600 !!!!
    Prices on everything are NUTS right now
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    I can’t believe no one mentioned the G2 series.
    Taurus had had their ups and downs, their revolvers seemed to do ok.
    I always said if they got their QC together they could be a real competitor.

With the G2 series they have. We recommend them to budget minded shooters all the time.
    I have yet to see an issue with them, probably 50-100 of them that came through class and several we have in our loaner pool. The loaner guns have several thousand rounds through them.

More than I can say for some other big brands.

Cheap, decent enough and they work.
    The trigger isn’t the best, the standard black finish rubs off quickly (we suggest the stainless for that reason) but for the price you can’t beat them.
    A decent gun, a case of ammo (old prices) and some range for the price of a Glock is a much better deal for our newer shooters.
    These things were going for around $200 new for the longest time.

Now to check out the new G3, I haven’t gotten my hands on one yet.
    Supposedly a better trigger and finish are part of the upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We sell tons of G2C's at my side job shop. Often, folks come back and buy a second one in fact. I'll post some pics of my 856 when I get a chance.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12